• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Did I do a bad thing?

I think your title says it all... You didn't ask "did I do the "RIGHT" thing".

You asked, Did I do a bad thing? Which tells me you've already figured out the answer in your heart.

However if not, and since I have not commented on this already, here is my take.

The kid finding the other persons (lady's) disc had nothing to do with the "agreement" you had with him to find your disc. He did not find and try to keep or steal your property.

What he did find (the lady's disc) was his to control, he found it, not you. The fact that your a disc golfer didn't give you the right to hijack his find..The fact that you know the previous owner, didn't give you the right to hijack his find. The fact that you offered him whatever amount of money you offered him for the disc didn't give you the right to demand he sell it to you for whatever you were offering him for it. The previous owner left her disc in the ditch (she made a decision to abandon her disc or property in a ditch) The kid found the disc, It was between him and his conscience do do what he considered to be the right thing.

If you, who spouted off the "Karma" or "Mojo" affect, actually believed in Karma yourself, then you would have been able to walk away from the situation and let karma alone handle the out come. You are not Karma nor is the black eye you threatened to give him karma or mojo as you called it.

What the situation boils down to when you remove all the emotional garbage attached to it is,

You, an adult, threatened a minor with physical violence...and you already knew in your heart, it was a bad thing to do and not the right thing to do....hence your title.

Couldn't agree more!!!!If you leave a disc on a course then that said disc is up for grabs. I have found disc and returned them , but that was my choice and not a bully like you who thinks you can make that choice for me. Who is to say that kid would not have called the owner. From what you you have written you never made that offer to the kid. I would have said if you don't want to give it to me then please contact her. If he didn't well that was his choice and really there is no mojo or karma if you find a disc. If you steal one ok but if you find one hey the owner should not have lost it or looked harder to find it.

Your a Big man threatening a 13 year old. If it was my 13 year old and he spoke to you that way i would straightened him out then I would straighten you out for threatening to do physical harm to my 13 year old.

If you leave a disc on a course then that said disc is up for grabs.

I know this has been debated numerous times, but are you serious? I know you said you will return discs, but honestly, who makes up this crap? I seriously wonder how people justify this finders keepers BS.

If I'm playing a course and I find your wallet, is it up for grabs too? After all, you must not have wanted it being you didn't come back for it or you gave up looking... This is the same logic people use when they find a disc to justify keeping it. If you find something and it has a name on it, then it is obviously not yours and any justifcation used to try and convince yourself or others that it is ok that you kept it petty and stupid.

This isn't all directed at you Chainchaser, but I get annoyed reading these crappy justifications over and over on forums as reasons for keeping discs that obviously belong to somebody else.

Since everyone likes the wallet to disc comparrison let me try something similar, but from the kid's perspective.

If you were walking down a street one day and found a one hundred dollar bill on the ground, that had a name and phone number on it, what would you do?

What if before you could even think about what to do a man that's much bigger and stonger than yourself says "Hey, I know the owner of that bill. I'll give you twenty dollars for it and I'll make sure the rightful owner gets their property back." What would you do then?

If you refuse the offer and the man then threatens you with bodily harm what would you do?

I suspect the kid would have called the number if he thought is was worth more than the current offer of $2.50...He may have just wanted meet the fair maiden himself so he could have been her hero

We'll never know because (the adult) semi retired WP, wanted to be the hero a little more.... and threatened the kid with violence, so he could be the knight in shining armour...you said she was very happy and so was her husband....you're their hero!!!!

What do you get invited to their next bar-b-que now or something?

good work...(sarcasm)

Last edited:
Since everyone likes the wallet to disc comparrison let me try something similar, but from the kid's perspective.

If you were walking down a street one day and found a one hundred dollar bill on the ground, that had a name and phone number on it, what would you do?

What if before you could even think about what to do a man that's much bigger and stonger than yourself says "Hey, I know the owner of that bill. I'll give you twenty dollars for it and I'll make sure the rightful owner gets their property back." What would you do then?

If you refuse the offer and the man then threatens you with bodily harm what would you do?

Hope that I could out run him;)

I think the chances of something like this having ever happened in the history of the planet are very slim.

I know this has been debated numerous times, but are you serious? I know you said you will return discs, but honestly, who makes up this crap? I seriously wonder how people justify this finders keepers BS.

If I'm playing a course and I find your wallet, is it up for grabs too? After all, you must not have wanted it being you didn't come back for it or you gave up looking... This is the same logic people use when they find a disc to justify keeping it. If you find something and it has a name on it, then it is obviously not yours and any justifcation used to try and convince yourself or others that it is ok that you kept it petty and stupid.

This isn't all directed at you Chainchaser, but I get annoyed reading these crappy justifications over and over on forums as reasons for keeping discs that obviously belong to somebody else.
If I lost my wallet and you found who's fault was it that the wallet was lost!!!MINE!!! If you kept it well then that was my fault for losing it not yours!!! I would hope to get it back but if I didn't lesson learned and next time I will try not to lose my wallet or disc. If I lose a disc I would want it back but if I left the course there is no way that I could lay claim to that disc or force someone to give it back to me. I lost it, Was my fault and I will pay the consequences.

What I don't like is people using the susposed "MOJO" card to get a disc back because they shanked one in the woods or creek!! That's not an excuse, just a bad shot!!!!:D:eek: (that was a joke)

Locked? I'll give you two bucks not to lock this thread, you little ignorant whippersnapper!

If I lost my wallet and you found who's fault was it that the wallet was lost!!!MINE!!! If you kept it well then that was my fault for losing it not yours!!! I would hope to get it back but if I didn't lesson learned and next time I will try not to lose my wallet or disc. If I lose a disc I would want it back but if I left the course there is no way that I could lay claim to that disc or force someone to give it back to me. I lost it, Was my fault and I will pay the consequences.

What I don't like is people using the susposed "MOJO" card to get a disc back because they shanked one in the woods or creek!! That's not an excuse, just a bad shot!!!!:D:eek: (that was a joke)

Bad mouthing mojo is gonna get you some .....bad mojo. That mojo is why you lost your wallet.

That's not an appropriate analogy/comparison. US currency is generally intended not to be maintained in one's possession for an extended period of time. The intent is to pass the currency along in exchange for goods and/or services. As such it is highly unlikely that the name and phone number on the found bill actually belongs to the person who lost the bill.

But all that aside I'd probably turn in the person who defaced our glorious currency to the US Secret Service for violating [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. :D

ERic
[/FONT]

That's not an appropriate analogy/comparison. US currency is generally intended not to be maintained in one's possession for an extended period of time. The intent is to pass the currency along in exchange for goods and/or services. As such it is highly unlikely that the name and phone number on the found bill actually belongs to the person who lost the bill.

But all that aside I'd probably turn in the person who defaced our glorious currency to the US Secret Service for violating [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. :D

ERic
[/FONT]

leave it up to our number one Eric to find the treasuries bylaws:D

ERic
[/FONT]

ERic, I like a lot of what you say, but this one cracked me up! Im still laughing ... have to say this is the best thing to come out of this thread! :D

Bad mouthing mojo is gonna get you some .....bad mojo. That mojo is why you lost your wallet.
yea i better keep it clipped to my pocket or something becasue i joked about Mojo!!!!:rolleyes:

I am sure I will lose a disc this summer but as i said if I get it back thats a bonus if not oh well I just need to get better and keep it in the fairway!!!!

ERic
[/FONT]

I am gonna print this out and give it to my kids next time they want me to spend 50 cents to run a perfectly good penny through one of those penny smashing souvenir machines. Thanks ERic:D

I think you did right. That kid needed even more than that. I would've kept the money taken both discs from, not given him the unused one, and kicked some dirt in his eyes. Then again I am 19, so it would not be as big a deal. That kid should not play disc golf. That is not the type of person we need or want on our courses.

I think it is terrible that people can't just help each other out because it is nice. I enjoy disc fishing, so I am the first to jump in, even for a complete stranger, and I meet people out on the course that are the same way. I enjoy meeting everyone, and I don't want to meet that kid...

I think you did right. That kid needed even more than that. I would've kept the money taken both discs from, not given him the unused one, and kicked some dirt in his eyes. Then again I am 19, so it would not be as big a deal. That kid should not play disc golf. That is not the type of person we need or want on our courses.
Actually, that would have been much worse because 1) kicking dirt in his eyes would be assault against a minor and 2) taking the disc that doesn't belong to you would be aggravated robbery. It doesn't matter if you are 19 or 50-- laws and morals apply to the whole of our society.

And to the original poster, I can't say you handled the situation in the right way. You think you taught this punk kid a lesson, but the only lesson he will have learned from that experience is to use force (or the threat of force) when he wants something that isn't his (no, that disc was not yours). The lady's disc was left in the water and he found it. It was his to do with what he wanted no matter what you "thought" he should do with it, and in no way was it the "right" thing to do to force a stranger's kid to do the "right" thing. It's a complete contradiction to force your morals onto someone else, no matter what you think of their upbringing, their use of language, or of society as a whole.

Although, I suppose you'll just write my opinion off as some PC mumbo jumbo and continue to think that you did the right thing by threatening a minor and forcing him to give you a disc that didn't belong to you in the first place, and that was not included in the original deal. In actuality, you effectively stole that disc from him even though you paid him for it because he did not agree to the terms of the payment until the use of force was brought into the equation.

The kid accepted the terms of the deal when he snatched the money out of his hand.
It's sort of absurd to argue about the morality and social ramifications of an episode that took about 40 seconds to transpire.
There will be no changing that kid - he'll be a peckerwood until he learns a much harder lesson and decides to change by himself.

go read what sidewinding said in the ever found anyone with your disc thread if you still think woodpecker did the right thing then please sell all your discs and go play some other sport . like freeway marco polo