• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Contracts (Green Mountain drift)

Jolt

* Ace Member *
Many odd results so far on the FPO side. . No 1 and 2 from Worlds at the top, so nothing strange in the top...but then .

Paige, Eveliina and Cat are 10 strokes back!!

and as hard as i have been to Kona..i`m starting to feel really bad for her, ,

Many odd results so far on the FPO side. . No 1 and 2 from Worlds at the top, so nothing strange in the top...but then .

Paige, Eveliina and Cat are 10 strokes back!!

and as hard as i have been to Kona..i`m starting to feel really bad for her, ,

to save other people a click:
leader is currently Bloomroos at -3. Kona is currently 38th, 3rd from last, at +13 :\

At some point, have to figure that maybe full time touring disc golf "pro" just isnt your thing

At some point, have to figure that maybe full time touring disc golf "pro" just isnt your thing

She and her sponsor would have been better served letting her develop for another year or two before the big payday.

McCabe and Dynamic acted selfishly in just wanting to sign a name at all costs. If marketing and social media are her thing maybe they can find a spot in their offices somewhere.

She and her sponsor would have been better served letting her develop for another year or two before the big payday.

McCabe and Dynamic acted selfishly in just wanting to sign a name at all costs. If marketing and social media are her thing maybe they can find a spot in their offices somewhere.

Going from being a highly paid up and coming pro athlete, to maybe finding a spot in some office...that's just sad.

Going from being a highly paid up and coming pro athlete, to maybe finding a spot in some office...that's just sad.

Being 31 strokes behind the leader after 2 rounds is pretty sad too, especially when theyre getting paid the same amount

Oh look, the "Million Dollar Man" didn't make the cut. There's a double standard for Kona, maybe some of you should reflect on why you choose to be so critical of her.

Attachments

• 381A261A-68E8-452D-8B23-6B156FF021DC.jpeg
    381A261A-68E8-452D-8B23-6B156FF021DC.jpeg
    22.3 KB · Views: 143
Oh look, the "Million Dollar Man" didn't make the cut. There's a double standard for Kona, maybe some of you should reflect on why you choose to be so critical of her.

She hasn't cashed in roughly half of her events this year. Drew missed a few times and has 3 wins including Vegas. Not even close to the same season.

There's a lot of sexism and jealously, related certainly, in the Kona hate.

No sexism but jealously for sure. . . i sure even DD expekted more when they signed that check..and i do wonder what the other FPO players on team DD that beats her week after week are going to say next time their "money talk with the boss" is due.

But its the same at any jobb. . .i have people at work making way more than me and nobody seems to know what they even do.

As large as some contracts are today . . .i dont really get the math to work, you need to sell ALOT of discs to pay even ONE top player today.
if you pay $100 000 to a player that player need to sell disc. . a ton of discs

There's a lot of sexism and jealously, related certainly, in the Kona hate.

There's probably some of that, but there's more to consider.

(quotes below from this article)

Panis, 23, was previously signed with Innova. About halfway through her last season, Team Dynamic Discs director Eric McCabe had told her that, if she ever needed anything, to reach out — especially if she was open to new opportunities.

Then she heard about Kristin Tattar's multi-year record-breaking $125,000 contract with Latitude 64 — a sister company to Dynamic Discs. Unhappy with how her talks were panning out with her current sponsor, Panis reached out to McCabe.

"I was like, 'Wow, that's big money for women in our sport,'" she said. "I reached out to Eric and I was like, 'I just saw this contract with Kristin, is that something that Dynamic Discs could do for me?' Eric said they could probably do something in that ballpark."

Note that the $500k figure is not a fixed amount. Her actual paychecks are based on disc sales and performance.

Kona Panis has signed a four-year, $500,000 commitment with Dynamic Discs in one of the largest announced FPO contracts in disc golf history.

The contract includes multiple tour series discs, a signature disc to launch next year, a signature bag and an incentive structure tied to tournament finishes and milestones.

Now DD was making a calculated bet. Kona is one of the best throwers of the disc in FPO, has been playing since she was 7, and her major problem is/was putting. If DD could help her improve her putting success by 2-3 putts per round, her rating would rise to 970ish making her one of the highest rated FPO players. If she could improve by 4-5 putts a round (and there's room for that), she'd be one of the top 5 in ratings.

Also DD has a long-term plan to invest in FPO competition.

Rusco said Dynamic Discs is excited to work with Panis to support and grow more women in disc golf. He said he wouldn't be surprised if Emporia added a women's-only competition in the coming years, after already hosting the Professional World Championships and Junior Worlds.

Now why, other than jealousy or misogyny, would Kona be reviled by some people?

The first seems to be that she's on the wrong side of the cockiness/confidence divide. Generally, confidence is accepted if the player performs at or near the level they publicly assess their ability. Kona has not been performing well.

The second seems to be that her contract is, to an extent, based on her social media shills rather than her disc golf skills. While that's clearly a good reason for DD, most dg fans want athletes rewarded primarily for on the field performance, like most major sports (even if that may not be a business wise attitude).

The third reason I see hasn't been discussed, but I think it lurks in the shadows. Her father works for Innova. Moreover,

Panis said she started playing disc golf when she was just 7-years-old after her father introduced her to the sport.
Panis and her family moved from Colorado to California so she could continue to pursue disc golf at a professional level.

"My family kind of took a chance and said, 'If this was something you want to do, I guess let's do it,'" she said.

and

So leaving Innova for DD might be viewed as a young adult declaring her independence, or it might be viewed as an opportunist abandoning a supportive family for personal monetary gain. Consonant with the latter interpretation is that DD may have seen luring Kona away from Innova as a strategic victory over a competitor.

That said, Kona being unhappy with Innova's contract offer follows other top FPO player's dissatisfaction with the company's treatment of their female professionals.

It's complicated. And the Venn diagram for jealousy and misogyny will not contain all the reasons for criticism.

So leaving Innova for DD might be viewed as a young adult declaring her independence, or it might be viewed as an opportunist abandoning a supportive family for personal monetary gain. Consonant with the latter interpretation is that DD may have seen luring Kona away from Innova as a strategic victory over a competitor.

That said, Kona being unhappy with Innova's contract offer follows other top FPO player's dissatisfaction with the company's treatment of their female professionals.

It's complicated. And the Venn diagram for jealousy and misogyny will not contain all the reasons for criticism.

The mysogeny and jealousy accusation is BS. The criticism is that she isn't near as good as Kristin Tattar, currently the best female DGer on tour. Like you posted, Panis compared herself to Tattar, so she brought it on herself.

I like Kona, but it is kind of absurd to me that people can't mention her without the misogyny word getting slung around.

You can objectively say that her performance on the course hasn't match her pay. Fans do that in every sport, get used to it.

I don't understand her "social media" presence. She doesn't really put much out there. I wish she put out more. I enjoyed her Youtube vids when she was with Innova.

Well, she sells discs. Does she? I bag Cat Allen, Paige Pierce, and Henna discs. I've played with people that bag discs from Tattar, Missy Gannon, Hailey King, Macey Velediaz, Kat Mertsch, and even stuff like Callie McMorran Roadrunners. I don't think I've ever seen a Kona disc in person.

I'd love for her to play great and put out stuff and and get her name on discs that are readily available and would help my game and "earn" her contract, but she hasn't. Maybe she will next year.