• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Course Analysis

Codorus is listed as two 27 hole courses, it's kind of weird layout because you can play 18 or 27 on each course, but trying to combine the two extra 9's as a separate 3rd 18 hole course doesn't really work because they aren't really close. It could be listed as two 18's and two 9's and make sense, but the course ratio would likely suffer.

Seneca would be weird to list as an 18 plus a 9 because there are 3 loops of nine to the parking lot but the layouts intertwine with each other. It might make sense to list as three 9's because they are loops but the course rating overall would likely be lowered doing that as well.
It may be difficult in some cases as you mention to transform existing 27 layouts into the 18/9 dual tee format. I'm primarily suggesting a better way to consider doing it from the beginning if you had space to build a 27. Transforming a 9 into a pseudo 18 using the dual tee approach has been shown to work if you have enough interesting terrain already on the course.

At Druid Hill in Baltimore, we have a 36-hole course that is considered one course. This is mostly because the other two sets of 9 holes are more recent and play off the front 9 and back 9 of the original course, respectively. We now have a "front 18" and "back 18." And there's a whole 'nother course in progress across the street!

Would actually love to see our course designed as a temporary 18-hole gold level course somehow.

Druid is a public course. I think marketing is more important for private P2P facilities. It's my experience that public entities don't have general marketing as a priority, even if it's a P2P facility. In fact, since trash pickup is one of the main costs second to mowing, there's usually some unspoken bias against a course becoming too popular and raising their trash costs.

At Druid Hill in Baltimore, we have a 36-hole course that is considered one course. This is mostly because the other two sets of 9 holes are more recent and play off the front 9 and back 9 of the original course, respectively. We now have a "front 18" and "back 18." And there's a whole 'nother course in progress across the street!

Would actually love to see our course designed as a temporary 18-hole gold level course somehow.
Druid is listed as three separate courses on here, two 18's - Legacy(the OG 18) and Forrest Drive(old x-holes and nx holes), and the current 12 of the future 18 on Hillway.

It may be difficult in some cases as you mention to transform existing 27 layouts into the 18/9 dual tee format. I'm primarily suggesting a better way to consider doing it from the beginning if you had space to build a 27. Transforming a 9 into a pseudo 18 using the dual tee approach has been shown to work if you have enough interesting terrain already on the course.
I guess you don't consider course rating part of marketing. Course ratings go up with extra holes vs being separated courses.

I guess you don't consider course rating part of marketing. Course ratings go up with extra holes vs being separated courses.
Course ratings here might matter for travelers but not for the local market who has to determine whether to repeat play a pay to play course. Even as a traveler, I'm more likely to play and 18/9 versus a 27 independent of ratings. think players would like two total scores rather than one after playing 27 holes. Even 18 holers are better with front 9 and back 9. I haven't seen too many 27s break up the scores into three 9s on their scorecards versus a 27 total.

Course ratings here might matter for travelers but not for the local market who has to determine whether to repeat play a pay to play course. Even as a traveler, I'm more likely to play and 18/9 versus a 27 independent of ratings. think players would like two total scores rather than one after playing 27 holes. Even 18 holers are better with front 9 and back 9. I haven't seen too many 27s break up the scores into three 9s on their scorecards versus a 27 total.

Hmmm....I'd go for the 27 every time. curious what other travelers think...

Hmmm....I'd go for the 27 every time. curious what other travelers think...
Travelers not as important as retaining your local crowd. And with regard to ratings, think of the top ranked 18-hole layouts with other courses on site like Selah or Highbridge. Additional courses there likely enhance their 18-hole ratings. That might be an interesting thing to look at to see if there's a halo effect due to multiple courses on a site.

It seems to me that playability matters most. There is a reason that BG courses are 18 holes. Less isn't a challenge, more is a chore. The first guy that played BG didn't go, "hey,18 holes is perfect!". We are still massaging to figure out what works. I'm not interested in any nine hole course. I might go to one to practice, but it isn't meaty enough. I'm also uninterested in 27 or over. By myself, 18 holes on a medium level course takes 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours. I feel like I've accomplished something that merits the drive. If I had 27 holes, I'd call it 18 with a practice course. If I had 36 it would be two.

Travelers not as important as retaining your local crowd. And with regard to ratings, think of the top ranked 18-hole layouts with other courses on site like Selah or Highbridge. Additional courses there likely enhance their 18-hole ratings. That might be an interesting thing to look at to see if there's a halo effect due to multiple courses on a site.

I think it depends on the courses. I went to Tom Bass in Houston for exactly the reasons you suggest. No one else did. :D

I can't argue about personal preferences (maybe you prefer 18+ or 18 is just right), but the reason that we have eighteen holes is that the original golf layout played 9 holes out and then the same 9 holes back, but from different tees.
There is no magic to 18 holes. This number wasn't settled on after years and years of play. Nope, nine out and nine back in.
What if they had 10 holes on the original layout? Then 20 would be the "magic" number.

I can't argue about personal preferences (maybe you prefer 18+ or 18 is just right), but the reason that we have eighteen holes is that the original golf layout played 9 holes out and then the same 9 holes back, but from different tees.
There is no magic to 18 holes. This number wasn't settled on after years and years of play. Nope, nine out and nine back in.
What if they had 10 holes on the original layout? Then 20 would be the "magic" number.
There is "magic" to 18 holes because like it or not, it's become the de facto definition of a "round" of golf whether ball or disc golf. It's the unit of record for the way many official stats are kept. The hole scores in sudden death are not retained or added to the 18-hole scores for example. When rounds are different from 18 in DG, the stats are adjusted to an 18-hole equivalent whether you're talking scoring averages, handicaps or ratings. Playing 9 holes either feels like practice or just half a round. That's why I believe 9 hole layouts designed with dual tees numbered from 1 thru 18 has become a more satisfying way to play a course with just 9 baskets - you're playing a regular round. When you play 24 or 27, while it's bonus disc golf, I can't get away from feeling like I'm in an overtime game, overtime is still official but not really the same as a "regulation" round. It's also tougher to have a really hot round on 27 versus 18 holes because with more holes your overall performance has a natural tendency to move toward your average skill level.

Last edited:

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to argue that 18 is ideal, we are different than BG, just that there is an ideal and for me neither 9, nor 27 works. I could see the sport at 21 even.

There is "magic" to 18 holes because like it or not, it's become the de facto definition of a "round" of golf whether ball or disc golf. It's the unit of record for the way many official stats are kept. The hole scores in sudden death are not retained or added to the 18-hole scores for example. When rounds are different from 18 in DG, the stats are adjusted to an 18-hole equivalent whether you're talking scoring averages, handicaps or ratings. Playing 9 holes either feels like practice or just half a round. That's why I believe 9 hole layouts designed with dual tees numbered from 1 thru 18 has become a more satisfying way to play a course with just 9 baskets - you're playing a regular round. When you play 24 or 27, while it's bonus disc golf, I can't get away from feeling like I'm in an overtime game, overtime is still official but not really the same as a "regulation" round. It's also tougher to have a really hot round on 27 versus 18 holes because with more holes your overall performance has a natural tendency to move toward your average skill level.

I almost wonder if there isn't something about 18....

Latest posts