• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf does not need "golf"

There are differences in the sports for sure but there are more similarities than differences...and I've seen disc golfers get just as clique-y and judgmental as they accuse golfers of being.

I try my best to go out and have a fun time, ignoring the politics and what everyone else thinks of this sport (or non-sport). You know what, I am having a good time, and it is amazing how often a conversation is started with a genuine question about this sport because they see I am enjoying what I am doing and doing so that apparently is inviting and friendly.

However, with that being said I will have to admit that I cannot stand the terms Frisbee Golf and definitely not FROLFing. It is one thing to see FROLF written out in emails, texts, and or forums, but to hear it spoken makes me mentally slap them. I had a bank teller see my paycheck from GGGT and started up a conversation about how she likes to occassionally get out and frolf. I smiled, was happy that a good looking female at least was in the ballpark of understanding the sport, and kept my irritation to myself.

Like I said, I like to have fun, but I do have that little streak of being cliquish (which ultimately proves your point) because I do not want to be lumped into some of the negative stereotypes (some true, some outdated) associated with Frisbee Golf and Frolfing.

Ask yourself, is this what we want disc golf to become?

july17_fowler_299x444.jpg

For me it would be white shorts, maybe cargo, an orange shirt that was as highly reflective as possible, and bed-head wild hair sticking out of an orange visor. It would depend on how sunny it was whether I would actually have the sunglasses on or resting on the lip of the visor's bill.

This just makes me sad that Bite shoes and sandals do not come in flashy colors. That would be the ultimate accessory.

Interesting perspective smark - though I wouldn't call your position clique-y for wanting the aveage person to be more educated about the sport. I too want to avoid some of the stereotypes and be seen as an athlete competing in a sport and the attitude that we should avoid comparisons to other sports hinders this effort.

Ask yourself, is this what we want disc golf to become?

july17_fowler_299x444.jpg

are you seriously going there? comparing someone paid to wear those clothes to what the average disc golfer wears??

You could go back through pictures on this site and question why the hell they would spend money to go out in public like that...

so in short - yes. If i never see another pair of jorts or tye-dye shirt at a tournament again I promise I won't cry ;)

I think that the more name recognition at this point, the better. Calling it disc golf (or even frisbee golf) helps this, most people understand the concept of golf.

Here's an article that I read about the U.S. Women's soccer team today (I would assume written before the big loss today).

I think the author's point could also aptly apply to disc golf, or any fledgling sport trying to break into the so called "mainstream".

It's not like disc golf has tees or putting or strokes or par out of bounds or drivers or handicaps or 18 holes or any other stupid similarities to ball golf. Wait what...

It's not like disc golf has tees or putting or strokes or par out of bounds or drivers or handicaps or 18 holes or any other stupid similarities to ball golf. Wait what...

Agreed, seems like another pointless thread that will just devolve into a flame war.

Last edited:
Bolf's clothes only look goofy on white people- on everyone else they look gangsta son;)

....I am seriously on the lookout for bright plaids:)

are you seriously going there? comparing someone paid to wear those clothes to what the average disc golfer wears??

You could go back through pictures on this site and question why the hell they would spend money to go out in public like that...

so in short - yes. If i never see another pair of jorts or tye-dye shirt at a tournament again I promise I won't cry ;)

Midnight is so gonna kick your ass when he reads this.

All I have is jorts and tye dye teeshirts! That's not cool? What would I do with my river shoes? My fishing hat?

I sold my golf clubs two years ago. I haven't missed them at all. Bought four Vibram Ridges today... I'm all in for disc golf...

this will definitely show ball golf what's up. may the fictitious nexus between the two be forever severed. we will not go quietly into the night! we will not vanish without a fight! we're going to live on! we're going to survive! today we celebrate our independence day!

As far as culture is concerned, i couldnt agree more. I wouldnt want to have carts or be required to abide by a silly dresscode, however, i think that during tournament play we shouldnt be wearing tye-dye beaters. As far as the way a course plays, we should strive to create courses of comparable difficulty. This game plays entirely different on a par 54 course and a true par 72 layout. A true high par course (no artificial OB) is the best way to experience our sport. In Golf this level of difficulty is the norm but for whatever reason we resist.

I used to play golf and I did not like riding in a cart or the country club mentality that exists. I like the generally rustic nature of DG and the natural settings. With that being said the parallels to BG are inescapable as has been pointed out already. Dg is based on the concept of golf and as such will always have links and comparisons and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Ridiculous thread, retarded idea. If you can't appreciate the similarities and unbreakable link between golf and disc golf then it's pretty safe to say you're not very good at either...

There are differences in the sports for sure but there are more similarities than differences...and I've seen disc golfers get just as clique-y and judgmental as they accuse golfers of being.

something like this...

I used to play ball golf all the time... till I found DISC golf. I took the quads off my ball golf bag and sold the clubs, bought more plastic and never looked back. I can make birdies, play more rounds for less $$$/or no $$$ and have more good friends.