• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in the News

The dangers of disc diving reported on again . . .

Disc Diver Killed by Alligator in Florida

This appears to be the same lake from a previous attack.
Looks to be the same unfortunate incident wellsbranch posted.

A body was found in the pond adjacent to Taylor Park DGC this morning. Apparently the body was missing an arm. This is a developing story so its not confirmed yet if its a disc golfer or someone looking for discs yet. but regardless, never go into the water at this park. I think i lost 2 or 3 in the water here with zero desire to retrieve em.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/fwc-searching-for-nuisance-gator-in-largo-pond-where-body-was-found

You mean like this guy??

No, the chipmunk got away!! :D

I wonder if MJ watched that throw all the way down the fairway?

Shout Out to Another Round DGS in Charlotte!! A great shop, very active in the game. :thmbup:

Looks like I'll have to skip Cliff Drive when I'm down there in September. I've been planning a trip that way for the last week, anything else I should avoid?

One place you shouldn't avoid is Joe's Kansas City Bar-B-Que. :D Great food and the KC Dynamic Discs store is right around the corner.

Definitely play Water Works. Look into Paradise Point as well and the 3 courses on site. We played Woodhenge and wished we had made time to play the other two after seeing the property.

New York Times picked this up

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/31/us/alligator-kills-florida-man-retrieving-frisbees-in-lake-officials-say.html

Said first death via gator attack in FL since 2019, which is surprising to me. Sadly it looks like they're gonna kill the gator.

I learned about the Squid life from the local disc golf store last time I was down there. The area Squids were seemingly respectable folks who would take a small fee and help get discs back to their owners through the local shop.

i honestly didnt think it was going to make national news. Surprising to see it picked up by the times and usa today.

Having lived in the area, i can confirm that some of the squids were respected, whiles others not so. The ones that weren't, where the ones that didn't sell back to the local shops or contact people. Unfortunately, it appears that this was a respected fellow who went by the name of RocStar and likely returned 1000s of discs to the local shops. I didn't know him.

As for the course, it is already back open.

A body was found in the pond adjacent to Taylor Park DGC this morning. Apparently the body was missing an arm. This is a developing story so its not confirmed yet if its a disc golfer or someone looking for discs yet. but regardless, never go into the water at this park. I think i lost 2 or 3 in the water here with zero desire to retrieve em.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/fwc-searching-for-nuisance-gator-in-largo-pond-where-body-was-found

Its sad the news story refers to them as nuisance gators. Ahhh...we are in THEIR environment. We are the nuisance, not them...Many signs. I lived in FL for 14 years and felt I always knew what water was safe and what wasn't--hint: no water is safe. Even pools need to be examined before jumping in.

One doesn't take a barrel over Niagara Falls and hear the media refer to that 'nuisance waterfall'...

Its sad the news story refers to them as nuisance gators. Ahhh...we are in THEIR environment. We are the nuisance, not them...Many signs. I lived in FL for 14 years and felt I always knew what water was safe and what wasn't--hint: no water is safe. Even pools need to be examined before jumping in.

One doesn't take a barrel over Niagara Falls and hear the media refer to that 'nuisance waterfall'...

I almost agree with everything you said, but...

From the gator's perspective, can someone delivering a meal really be considered a nuisance?

In some ponds, Disc Diving = Door Dash.

New York Times picked this up

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/31/us/alligator-kills-florida-man-retrieving-frisbees-in-lake-officials-say.html

Said first death via gator attack in FL since 2019, which is surprising to me. Sadly it looks like they're gonna kill the gator.

I learned about the Squid life from the local disc golf store last time I was down there. The area Squids were seemingly respectable folks who would take a small fee and help get discs back to their owners through the local shop.

When I lived in Fort Lauderdale there was a squid at my home course, went by the name Bullfrog, who did exactly that. Went into the small pond at Easterlin Park a couple times a week and hung out at the course either returning (for a small fee) or selling discs that no one ever claimed. Nice guy, gave me a few helpful tips early in my playing "career".

Looks like I'll have to skip Cliff Drive when I'm down there in September. I've been planning a trip that way for the last week, anything else I should avoid?

I've played part of Cliff Drive during lunch hour one day. Very unfortunate it had several truckloads of junk (refrigerators/toys/clothes/etc) and is quite sketchy area, because the course is fun. Yeah, stay away on a road trip.

If you have one day, play Waterworks, eat Joe's KC, visit DYnamic Discs store, play Rosedale Up Top. Joes, DD, Rosedale are in the same neighborhood.

Alternate courses worth playing:
Bad Rock Creek in Liberty (northeast)
Cedar Ridge in Bonner Springs (west)
Wyandotte County Park (west)
Shawnee Mission Park (southwest)

And, if you're heading north on I-29, visit Bartlett in St. Joseph, or message me and I have a friend with a terrific private course east of Saint Joseph called Timber Ridge (have to specifically search it on Udisc). Layout has been updated, so you'll need a guide.

I've played part of Cliff Drive during lunch hour one day. Very unfortunate it had several truckloads of junk (refrigerators/toys/clothes/etc) and is quite sketchy area, because the course is fun. Yeah, stay away on a road trip.

If you have one day, play Waterworks, eat Joe's KC, visit DYnamic Discs store, play Rosedale Up Top. Joes, DD, Rosedale are in the same neighborhood.

Alternate courses worth playing:
Bad Rock Creek in Liberty (northeast)
Cedar Ridge in Bonner Springs (west)
Wyandotte County Park (west)
Shawnee Mission Park (southwest)

And, if you're heading north on I-29, visit Bartlett in St. Joseph, or message me and I have a friend with a terrific private course east of Saint Joseph called Timber Ridge (have to specifically search it on Udisc). Layout has been updated, so you'll need a guide.

All good intel here :thmbup:

I'll have multiple (4 probably) days in KC. Water works is a for sure play. Bad Rock Creek, Cedar Ridge and both Rosedale courses are on the menu as well. Also looking to play both Blue Valley courses, or at least the main one. Probably Heritage Park, Lakeside Hills, Hobby Hill and Fox Hill Fliers too. Wyandotte and Shawnee Mission looked intersting too, but I'll probably settle on Cedar Ridge over those 2. Will be hitting Longview DGC that day to bag the top KS course too, so time will be a factor. I peeped Timber Ridge as well, but don't know if I'll make it over that way.

All good intel here :thmbup:

I'll have multiple (4 probably) days in KC. Water works is a for sure play. Bad Rock Creek, Cedar Ridge and both Rosedale courses are on the menu as well. Also looking to play both Blue Valley courses, or at least the main one. Probably Heritage Park, Lakeside Hills, Hobby Hill and Fox Hill Fliers too. Wyandotte and Shawnee Mission looked intersting too, but I'll probably settle on Cedar Ridge over those 2. Will be hitting Longview DGC that day to bag the top KS course too, so time will be a factor. I peeped Timber Ridge as well, but don't know if I'll make it over that way.

Your scouting work will pay off! Hobby Hill and Fox Hill are fun, so is Shawnee Mission Park. I have yet to play there without insane winds on the hilltops. I haven't been to those courses south and east yet. I have heard that LaBenite is amazing. As mentioned, the three Smithville courses are nice. Some short very technical holes, a few open longer and lots in-between. Lake winds though are real.

Timber Ridge has added several baskets.

Well looks like I'm super late to the party. Did a search for 'alligator' and nothing showed up. :eek:

I think I saw on a commercial a guy pictured next to a basket...

I was sleepy when I think I saw it, it may have been a diet (GOLO) commercial...

Again, not 100% sure..

i saw that too!

I just saw an episode of of Chain Reaction on GSN, with one team calling themselves, "The Disc Golfers". They stated they were relatively new at DG, but not at sport.

Latest posts