• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

disc golf kids

tuna

Birdie Member
so my daughter is now 4 months old and she is holding minis. my question is when did all you dads start really introducing your kids to disc golf? how did you start? i have plenty of minis and a mini basket in the living room and cant wait until she can play with it some. did your children pick it up and want to go play with you or did they not really care for it? all of my friends golf and im really hoping that when she gets old enough she'll want to play too.

also maybe im a little to excited for her to play but at 4 months she already has some discs, minis, and a bag lol

Miranda & I started playing mini at age 2. She graduated to big discs at 4 & plays tiki with me religiously now at age 6. We've played on big courses together a few times, but she'll be really ready for full-sized golf in another summer or two.

My 3 year old's played with minis since she was old enough to pick one up. She hasn't really grasped a proper throw yet but every 2nd or 3rd attempt she gets a good rip with it. She plays around with my putters in the backyard all the time as well. I bring her to the course with me and she's happy watching me and playing with one of my discs. She always has to drop one into the basket herself as well. I'll only keep her out there as long as she's interested and once she starts losing interest I'll take her to the nearby park to play. Last thing I want to do is associate disc golf with not having fun so when I've got her along with me I'm ready to play as little as 1 hole or maybe up to 9 if she's still going strong.

My son just turned 4 and finally 'got it' and can now throw a 150g putter about 40-50 feet backhand. We play catch, he's not too good at catching so I lay it up at his feet. He can make 5 to 8 foot putts and has fun but gets tired quick. He's shown a LOT of interest in DG but I don't want to be 'that dad' and push him.

My daughter is 5 1/2, and really couldn't care less about disc golf.

I didn't start playing until my youngest was 10. So I don't have much experience with the younger kids. But he loves it. Plays with me regularly. goes to tourneys with me and everything. He can rip a good 250' drive when he really gets a hold of one. My 14 year old daughter hates it. My 16 year old daughter enjoys playing and plays quite well, but has bursitis in her hip and can only play about 9 holes before she is in too much pain to play anymore. There are a lot of parents bringing little kids to the course with them to play. But my son and one that is about 9 or 10 are the only 2 who play regularly.

Girl5 is sorta into it, sporadically into throwing and putting in the backyard, but mostly she's got other priorities.

Boy3's all over it. He started putting and throwing last year with my full-size discs, and we got him some lightweight discs of his own this year. He can probably get a 119g Roc out 40' on a good throw. For now, we're just throwing back and forth and short-putting in the backyard, but I figure he'll be ready to invade a pitch-and-putt in a year or two if he keeps an interest in it.

My son first started throwing at 3, and he just turned 4. He gets good D, but he's disappointed that they don't go as far as mine. I gave him an Aerobie Pro ring and he started feeling better about his game.

I haven't taken him as much lately. The one course that's short enough for him to walk is just too dangerous. The other two courses are too much of a hike for him, but maybe when he gets a little closer to 5 he'll be more interested. I often have to play Robin to his Batman in the woods during the round, but we both have fun.

Here's my 19 month old about to bust out a bomb from earlier today.

IMAG0224.jpg

hahaha... that's a great shot. does he actually have the right kind of form down? I can't get my 3 year old to throw it right for the life of me. She just kinda grips it, twist back and forth and randomly releases it.

He's getting there. He has a bit if late release, but pretty damn good for a one year old.

i gave my daughter a disc in her hand since she was first born. she still has it and still uses it.

i didn't read a single post in this thread, but if i ever have kids and they refuse to play i will sell them to science.

I've been taking my daughter out when I go disc golfing since she was one. She's 3 1/2 now and absolutely loves disc golf. She has her own discs that she likes to carry in her own bag. She's still too little to play with me, but she does like to throw any disc she can get her hands on, even though her form is some funky version of the chicken wing or something. It's actually pretty funny how mad and stubborn she gets when I try and show her the right way to throw a disc. She HAS to do it her way.

04-05-10005.jpg

04-05-10026.jpg

Thread Revival.

My 4 month old Brayden. Ive been taking him to the course since he was about 1 month. He goes to the course with me about 3-5 times a week (In his Jeep Stroller). Looking forward to when he can start walking and throwing with me.

5747835233_b79f320302_z.jpg

My boy has been a golfer since the first few minutes of his life. I was able to bring a dyed "Baby Rock" mini into the delivery room and it is in almost all of those pics. I got him pDGA #26754 not long after the arrival date. He attended the first Texas Women's Championships and saw all the action from his stroller. He is 6 yo now and throws pretty good either FH or BH. We've got several acres of yard with several baskets so he gets lots of practice time. Only problem is all the other sports that look like fun also have equipment scattered around the yard so he is always changing what he's throwing, kicking, hitting, etc...

Latest posts