• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf on BBC - Why disc golf is proving popular in Britain's parks

Aim For The Chains

FROLF OFF!
Bronze level trusted reviewer

If you like throwing a flying disc around the park with family and friends but want more of a purpose to it, how about the growing sport of disc golf?
There are now 15 courses around the UK and more are planned.
Mike Bushell went to a temporary course in Basingstoke, where he met the British number one and some of the country's top juniors.

:thmbup:

That's what i like to see. Thanks for posting.

Worldwide tour someday, that's the dream.

I was wondering the other day why more Brits don't play. They have pretty nice weather for it year round (little to no snow).

I remember that a local Saturday/Sunday news show went to an event and featured it on their show. I'm sure that if other stations would take suit and follow, disc golf would get the much needed coverage it deserves and to help propel the sport into the mainstream.

That was a fun video to watch. Reminded me of the difference between people that know what they are doing and those that do not. I also liked a lot of the camera shots. That was some quality.

I've been keeping tabs on Twitter on some guys putting in a course in Manchester.

I love the UK and the last time I was there thought it could be the ideal DG location. Rolling hills tons of elevation and rocky terrain in spots. Could be great.

Hmm... a reporter that actually did some research before doing a story about disc golf.......how refreshing.

Cool piece. I used to regularly throw arguably one of the top two courses in the country, which is on the University of Essex campus. In the 3 years I lived there (2011-13) I never once met or saw a student playing and the course has been there supposedly since the late 80s. None of the other monthly league members where students either, that's how popular disc golf really is over there. It's probably more of a fluff piece considering there isn't even British disc manufacturer and most of the courses are actually short 9 hole pitch and putts. Still, any coverage is good coverage.

I've been keeping tabs on Twitter on some guys putting in a course in Manchester.

I love the UK and the last time I was there thought it could be the ideal DG location. Rolling hills tons of elevation and rocky terrain in spots. Could be great.

Hi Moose33,

Nice to hear someone out there is reading our feed! Thought you might like to know we've almost got a complete course! 18 baskets are in, all the concrete tees are laid, 58 new trees planted. We're just missing signage and the course is a mud bath at the moment due to the construction vehicles churning it up (and some epic rain this winter).

We're quite a flat space in Manchester unfortunately but the tradeoff is we're about two miles from the city centre! We're looking forward to doing a full launch this Spring.

Hope to show you around one day!

Steve

I really thought that there would be more courses than that in the UK. I guess you just kind of take things for granted when we have cities with 30+ here in the states.

Latest posts