• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pet Peeves -

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dog often decides to poop on the same hole/area as well. Generally it is somewhere on hole #8 at Cedar Hills. I always clean it up though. I think the water on #7 gets here all excited and she can't hold it anymore.

So... skip hole #8 at Cedar Hills unless you want dog poo on your discs. Gotcha.

I don't know any courses that are also Dog Parks... agreed.. leash the mutts or don't bring them

Weatherford DGC is also a dog park. Most people don't use leashes, but its almost always the locals (elderly people with toy breeds, dogs that definitely don't scare anyone)

I play this course often, and strangely enough I have never had a problem with "doo-doo-baby!" on my discs.

41787_2202471728_9747_n.jpg

Pet Peeve
I play with a friend and his willful kid once in a while. The kid seems a bit challenged and has behavioral issues. Anyway, the 4 year kid loves to throw plastic more than life itself and can really huk a lighter r-pro boss I bought for him. I do not know what I was thinking because he has almost decapitated me and parent few times since. Occasionally he also likes to run in parents' line of sight off the tee as if he's doing a dare. At times, I am tempted to pop him with my silly soft putter,but realize that would accomplish nothing. Around the basket is another adventure trying to putt with this kid bouncing all over the place and dodging his r-pro missiles. I think of it as "guts disc golf". Of course a round that usually takes me 45 minutes, ends up being a 2 hour family drama highlighting the downfall of American parenting skills. I often suggest to perplexed parent that better nutrition and rationing the kid's daily intake of swilled sugars could do wonders, but, the idea floated like a lead balloon.

Do not mind well mannered dogs, but, not picking up after your dog craps on the course shows a lack of class.

Litter, graffiti, and obvious drug consumption on the course is also a peeve.

So I guess if I had witnessed more dogs that were well behave it wouldn't bother me as much.

Martin Degwartia's dog Forrest is one such dog, perfectly behaved. Playing with him unleashed didn't bother me at all, but locals at my course always having pits/rots running and jumping at me is what really irks me. Especially because I'm terrified of dogs.

No like I said she poops where no one ever walks or throws on the course I play everyday. Let me explain for you. On the far right side of hole one there is a field that is not even close to the basket or do you have a chance of throwing into it. That is where she poops. IDK why but she has always gone there. I have never seen anyone EVER throw over there. Then the rest of the round no poop.

Now when we are at a new course where her scent is not there I will take a bag and pack it out.

As a complete newbie who's still getting the hang of having the disc rip rather than letting it go, I can say that there is no such thing as "no chance of throwing into it". I've had discs go way off both to the left and right, even had one go almost completely behind me (embarrassed to even admit that one, although my friends got a good laugh). Then you also have to take into account the possibilites of a large gust of wind or a tree knocking it into an area you normally wouldn't throw towards. Anytime your dog craps on the property you should be cleaning it up, otherwise someone else may have to deal with it.

I love dogs, grew up with them my whole life, but I think they should be on leashes at all times in public, no matter how well trained/behaved they are. The bottom line is that you may know how well behaved your dog is, but nobody else does. I've seen postal carriers reach for their mace at the mere sight of a dog (even a small one), without the dog being aggressive or even close to them. What happens when your unleashed dog comes up to someone like that on a course? Now you've put your dog's safety at risk.

I gotta go Big groups. I like to talk, listen to music, and generally enjoy the scenery but when a group of 10 is dragging the pace down and won't step it up or step aside that's just rude.

So I guess if I had witnessed more dogs that were well behave it wouldn't bother me as much.

Martin Degwartia's dog Forrest is one such dog, perfectly behaved. Playing with him unleashed didn't bother me at all, but locals at my course always having pits/rots running and jumping at me is what really irks me. Especially because I'm terrified of dogs.

No joke, I was just playing at a local course and two dudes with three pit bulls were standing in the middle of an parallel fairway, and as I walked to my disc, all three of them ran at me and the owner just stood puffin his cig and said nothing... luckily I am a larger person and I startled the pit bulls more than they startled me but seriously leash yo beast if you are gonna let that happen.

But unleashed dogs rarely bother me, but when little kids are around and these "bears" are running wild I might get heated...

But unleashed dogs rarely bother me, but when little kids are around and these "bears" are running wild I might get heated...

Yeah, for sure. I was not trying to condone the actions of dog-owners who refuse to use a leash, thats just plain dumb. I have a pit here at home, and while I don't believe he'd ever hurt somebody I'm not going to take that chance.

<---- keeps his pitbull on a leash at the course

My pet peeve is dog racism.
I'm tired of small, yappy, more prone to bite someone then a larger breed, dogs getting a free pass to run around with little to no training and without leash.

People who start threads about reviews they don't agree with (more of a dgcr pet peeve). My biggest pet peeve playing dg are large groups. Break it up. I don't even like playing in large groups. People walking in front of other people, talking while your taking a shot, taking forever to play a round. No more than four, but there are exceptions to every rule.

As a complete newbie who's still getting the hang of having the disc rip rather than letting it go, I can say that there is no such thing as "no chance of throwing into it". I've had discs go way off both to the left and right, even had one go almost completely behind me (embarrassed to even admit that one, although my friends got a good laugh). Then you also have to take into account the possibilites of a large gust of wind or a tree knocking it into an area you normally wouldn't throw towards. Anytime your dog craps on the property you should be cleaning it up, otherwise someone else may have to deal with it.

I love dogs, grew up with them my whole life, but I think they should be on leashes at all times in public, no matter how well trained/behaved they are. The bottom line is that you may know how well behaved your dog is, but nobody else does. I've seen postal carriers reach for their mace at the mere sight of a dog (even a small one), without the dog being aggressive or even close to them. What happens when your unleashed dog comes up to someone like that on a course? Now you've put your dog's safety at risk.

First thing if see my course you would understand. Out of the many players even noobs that have just started a week before I have never ever seen anyone throw over there. That is how far away it is from the hole. Not even close.

Second thing, my dog doesn't even go up to people. If you walk close to her she cowers or comes finds me. She was abused by the Army and now it takes a week or more for her to get use to a person.

I don't condone leaving poop out in the places where people will be. I have a bag just incase that happens. I also agree with having untrained dogs on a leash. When I go to other dg courses she stays on the leash the whole time even knowing full well she will stay right with me the whole time. I only have her off at my home course as I have stated before.

My pet peeve is dog racism.
I'm tired of small, yappy, more prone to bite someone then a larger breed, dogs getting a free pass to run around with little to no training and without leash.

I'm not a dog racist. I think they all should be leashed, all the time.

I'm not a dog racist. I think they all should be leashed, all the time.

Agreed 100%.

Just last week at Weatherford with a friend of mine, we were set to tee off on hole 6 I believe? Could've been 7 I suppose... Anyways, OB street about 10' left of the teepad thats always busy.

We wait patiently for the group of 4 in front of us to clear the hole, when one of their dogs (miniature schnauzer) runs all the way to us from about 150 feet away. No leash, and only one person in the group seemed to even care. Not like she said anything or came and got her dog, she just stared at us. Anyways, I'm trying to ignore this pooch and tee-off, when right at that moment 2 big duelie diesel trucks are coming down the road and the dog starts barking at them.

I was amazed at what happens next. The dog runs straight under the wire fence surrounded the course and in front of said trucks. Being a guy who loves animals, I had to grab the little fella before the truck did...

...then the dog runs back to its stupid owners, who didn't even say "Thanks". They just kept staring. They were nice enough to let us play through on the next hole, however. I guess there's DG-karma in everything you do at the course.

First thing if see my course you would understand. Out of the many players even noobs that have just started a week before I have never ever seen anyone throw over there. That is how far away it is from the hole. Not even close.

No, I understand just fine. You think that there is no chance of anyone ever walking into an area of a public park. My point is that no matter how much you say otherwise, there is always potential for someone to go there, even if it's not for the game. If it's an area of the park, it's possible for someone to go there, and therefore you should be cleaning up after the dog.

Second thing, my dog doesn't even go up to people. If you walk close to her she cowers or comes finds me. She was abused by the Army and now it takes a week or more for her to get use to a person.

It's not about what your dog will or won't do, it's how other people will react to it. There are people who are so terrified of dogs that they will freak out at the mere sight of an unleashed dog. Should they not be allowed to golf and/or enjoy the park in peace?

Let's say you're playing a round by yourself one day, and the course is pretty empty. As you're coming up on the 10th tee, you see a big tiger sniffing around. How much would you freak out? Me, I'd be running off that course. Doesn't matter to me that the tiger is someone's well behaved pet, It's a friggin tiger, and I'm out!

Yeah, this seems like a ridiculous analogy, but it's similar to how some people feel about dogs. So why put them in that position?

I've had some extremely well behaved dogs, but I would never even consider taking them in public unleashed.

No, I understand just fine. You think that there is no chance of anyone ever walking into an area of a public park. My point is that no matter how much you say otherwise, there is always potential for someone to go there, even if it's not for the game. If it's an area of the park, it's possible for someone to go there, and therefore you should be cleaning up after the dog.

It's not about what your dog will or won't do, it's how other people will react to it. There are people who are so terrified of dogs that they will freak out at the mere sight of an unleashed dog. Should they not be allowed to golf and/or enjoy the park in peace?

Let's say you're playing a round by yourself one day, and the course is pretty empty. As you're coming up on the 10th tee, you see a big tiger sniffing around. How much would you freak out? Me, I'd be running off that course. Doesn't matter to me that the tiger is someone's well behaved pet, It's a friggin tiger, and I'm out!

Yeah, this seems like a ridiculous analogy, but it's similar to how some people feel about dogs. So why put them in that position?

I've had some extremely well behaved dogs, but I would never even consider taking them in public unleashed.

Well I am about tired of explaining that there is no way anyone would walk over there. The field is not even cut and grass is about 2 feet high. No one walks through it. Also only dgers use this area. This is not a normal park where people just walk around. I even had guys I play with who have been watching this thread tell me today that they (you guys) would understand if you saw the course and saw where the field is.

As I said before I always carry a bag just in case.

Your tiger reference is amazing. The only problem I have with that is my dog would have to venture more then 15 ft away from me, which she never does. I do have her on a leash when we ever go to a different course.

Why would you never take them to a park unleashed if they are well trained they should stay right with you and listen?

This is the important part here. Some people, namely me, are terrified of dogs. I don't care how well behaved anyone's dog is, the anxiety I have to deal with at the sight of a dog off a leash outweighs yours, or anyone elses, issues with leashing their dog.

I'm afraid of spiders. Could you guys please keep your spiders leashed.

And clean up after them, I mean really...

The 50-year-old guy who lectures me the entire round about my "candy plastic" putter.(Champ Rhyno) saying that the "old plastic" is heavier and therefore easier to putt with.

Same guy who decides to "teach" me about disc stability, assuming I know nothing about the sport because every one of his discs is older than I am.

I love dogs. Been around them my whole life. My mom raised show dogs for 45 yrs. Worked for a vet from the time I was 15 until I graduated from college.

To this day, a strange dog running at me puts me on guard.

And I know the LOOK. The look when a dog senses fear and is about to go bonkers.

I had two very bad experiences with loose dogs in my life.

The first time, my 3 year old daughter was playing in the front yard while I was doing yard work. A contractor pulled up next door with a Doberman loose in the bed of his truck. The dog immediately started staring at my daughter. I asked the guy to leash his dog and he told me to stick it. So, I called my daughter to take her in the house. When she started running to me, the dog jumped out of the truck and was charging her. I jumped and tackled the dog before he got to her. He bite into my forearm and I spun him around and fell on him. Grabbed him under the chin and snapped his neck.

The contractor, then, tried to whip my azz. When he got the wrong end of that deal, he called the cops. He still didn't get it when the cops arrested him.

Another time, a guy who raised German Shepards and Dobermans guard dogs for the police dept. and the military bases got a big kick out scaring people in the neighborhood with his dogs. It was always a big joke to him until one got loose and attacked a couple of people and then attacked me as I was trying to help the injured people get away from the dog. I cracked the dog's skull with a steel pipe. Then, I helped the injured people get to the safety of their home. The dog was still walking around when the police showed up. One officer pulled his revolver and put the dog down.

Simple rule: If you have your dog out in public anywhere, have it on a leash, period. A unknown loose dog scares a lot more people than you think.

99% of the dogs are good, some just have really stupid owners especially the ones that say "My dog would never hurt a flea." Unless you want to watch the city put your dog down for attacking someone and a nice big lawsuit from the injured party, keep 'em on a leash.

Woodpecker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts