• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Planet dot Tv

I DO wish they would spend a bit more money on their cameras/lenses but thats mostly a nitpicky observation.

You're more than welcome to buy me some sweet cameras and lenses :) :) :)

Currently we're rocking a Panasonic HDC-TM700 and a Panasonic HC-X900M so anything that fits those would be sweet! Thanks! :p

But seriously I really wish I could make enough money from this to do it full time, but so far I've failed. Anyone have ideas?

Ian - CentralCoastDiscGolf

The camera people following ultimate can also be moving positions during play versus only at certain times during DG play.

I have no issues with the angles, shooting the flight, sun/shade, etc. It's everything else that is just plain not good.

Currently we're rocking a Panasonic HDC-TM700 and a Panasonic HC-X900M so anything that fits those would be sweet! Thanks! :p
Unfortunately those cams really don't have proper mounts for pro lenses.

You guys do a great job. Love the commentary. Don't mind my camera geek nonsense. :~)

Unfortunately those cams really don't have proper mounts for pro lenses.

You guys do a great job. Love the commentary. Don't mind my camera geek nonsense. :~)

Thanks! No worries, I was just playin :)

I'd love to get a new pro level camera, but I just can't justify the 3x cost. lcgm8 just ordered a new one (Canon XA20) so his quality should be going up again soon.

In CCDG news, we should have another vid up tomorrow. Masters division at Masters Cup - Climo, PB, Micah Dorius, and Jerry Goff.

Wow...just watched about 10 minutes of their KCWO coverage and had to shut off. Just terrible. I appreciate the effort, and I thought their live coverages have been pretty darn good, but this was just bad.

But seriously I really wish I could make enough money from this to do it full time, but so far I've failed. Anyone have ideas?

Your videos are awesome, some of the commentary Sounds a little unprofessional but this is disc golf afterall

I love your videos. The commentary is my favorite of any of the videos I've seen. They're/you're the same guys from the FTD podcast, right?

Thanks! No worries, I was just playin :)

I'd love to get a new pro level camera, but I just can't justify the 3x cost. lcgm8 just ordered a new one (Canon XA20) so his quality should be going up again soon.

In CCDG news, we should have another vid up tomorrow. Masters division at Masters Cup - Climo, PB, Micah Dorius, and Jerry Goff.
I have no problem with the cameras you use, they look great to me. Your dual-angle filming and editing is awesome as well, really made the difference at DeLa.

And I think your commentary is great. Much better than anything else being produced right now.

I own a video production company in the midwest, have multiple hd cameras and have been playing disc golf for 20 years. I have worked on NBA games and other "high level" sporting events.

I would never consider videotaping a DG tournament. The variables are insane, the conditions from pleasant to nightmarish. But the #1 reason? Not enough money in it for the time involved.
DGPTV covered the worlds(biggest event in DG) behind a paywall and I believe they never went over 2000 simultaneous views. Lets be generous and assume 3000 people paid 8 bucks for the worlds coverage..24K gross. Here is a estimate of the expenses for the 8 days they were there.
2 hosts.. one producer, 2 cameraman, one tech director and another person on the course who has the job to point the antenna at the receiver. Maybe a gopher to run tasks. 8 people. They want to be paid right? What do you make at your job for 8 12 hour days (on average) let's say 150 per person per day. just in salaries 1200 a day times 8 days. 9600 let's call it an even 10,000.

14000 left over sweet right? 4 hotel rooms 2 per room to save expenses. 75 a night goodbye to another 2500. Still 11500 left.

Everyone eats three meals a day right? Eat cheap I say, 35$ a day stipend. 2250 (3 meals times 8 people times 8 days.) 9000 left.

Where do all the workers live? I doubt they all live in charlotte. Lets hope everyone drove there and only had 300$ in travel expenses.( gas, hotel room for the ones that live more that a day away. food on the road) Anyway 2400$ gone from the 9000. 6400 left. (I hope I am doing the math right. )

Assuming the equipment is paid for (it never is) all that leaves is bandwidth costs and hosting costs. I do not know those numbers.

Wait a minute I almost forgot, the credit card company takes about 2.9% off the top of the payments...so 24k - 2.9% another 600 dollars gone.

So guess what. You plan for months, leave your house for a week and a half, and you and your business partners get to split 5k for working your butt of.(best Case scenario)
The numbers are not there without the pdga subsidising it.

I admire DGPTV for attempting the live broadcast of disc golf, but I would not touch it.

So you ask how can it be done and make a little money in a hobby sense?
#1 Forget live.
#2 2 person team only doing weekend events. (final round only)
#3 All post produced.
#4 Final round only MPO lead card only. (it would suck of the winner came out of the other groups but that is the chance you have to take.)
#5 Get a $5 a month youtube channel after you get 5k followers. You will lose 4000 to 4500 followers but assuming you keep 700. 3500 a month. That number will grow if you keep producing great stuff.

On another note...I love the grassroots coverage we get from the Marty's and CCDG and DGmonthly and so on and so on. If I could offer one little piece of advice to all the filmers out there (and I love you all). SLOW DOWN! You are producing a Documentary not an ESPN highlight video. Let the shots "breathe"
We don't have to see just the shots. Let's see the players hi five each other..or a player walking dejectedly off the tee after hitting a tree. I saw A video just today where a player made a 5 foot putt and they dissolved to the next player dropping in his putt. You may have saved 5 seconds.

Off rant.

I own a video production company in the midwest, have multiple hd cameras and have been playing disc golf for 20 years. I have worked on NBA games and other "high level" sporting events.

I would never consider videotaping a DG tournament. The variables are insane, the conditions from pleasant to nightmarish. But the #1 reason? Not enough money in it for the time involved.
DGPTV covered the worlds(biggest event in DG) behind a paywall and I believe they never went over 2000 simultaneous views. Lets be generous and assume 3000 people paid 8 bucks for the worlds coverage..24K gross. Here is a estimate of the expenses for the 8 days they were there.
2 hosts.. one producer, 2 cameraman, one tech director and another person on the course who has the job to point the antenna at the receiver. Maybe a gopher to run tasks. 8 people. They want to be paid right? What do you make at your job for 8 12 hour days (on average) let's say 150 per person per day. just in salaries 1200 a day times 8 days. 9600 let's call it an even 10,000.

14000 left over sweet right? 4 hotel rooms 2 per room to save expenses. 75 a night goodbye to another 2500. Still 11500 left.

Everyone eats three meals a day right? Eat cheap I say, 35$ a day stipend. 2250 (3 meals times 8 people times 8 days.) 9000 left.

Where do all the workers live? I doubt they all live in charlotte. Lets hope everyone drove there and only had 300$ in travel expenses.( gas, hotel room for the ones that live more that a day away. food on the road) Anyway 2400$ gone from the 9000. 6400 left. (I hope I am doing the math right. )

Assuming the equipment is paid for (it never is) all that leaves is bandwidth costs and hosting costs. I do not know those numbers.

Wait a minute I almost forgot, the credit card company takes about 2.9% off the top of the payments...so 24k - 2.9% another 600 dollars gone.

So guess what. You plan for months, leave your house for a week and a half, and you and your business partners get to split 5k for working your butt of.(best Case scenario)

I admire DGPTV for attempting the live broadcast of disc golf, but I would not touch it.

#1 Forget live.
#3 All post produced.
#4 Final round only MPO lead card only. (it would suck of the winner came out of the other groups but that is the chance you have to take.)
#5 Get a $5 a month youtube channel after you get 5k followers. You will lose 4000 to 4500 followers but assuming you keep 700. 3500 a month. That number will grow if you keep producing great stuff.

On another note...I love the grassroots coverage we get from the Marty's and CCDG and DGmonthly and so on and so on. If I could offer one little piece of advice to all the filmers out there (and I love you all). SLOW DOWN! You are producing a Documentary not an ESPN highlight video. Let the shots "breathe"
We don't have to see just the shots. Let's see the players hi five each other..or a player walking dejectedly off the tee after hitting a tree. I saw A video just today where a player made a 5 foot putt and they dissolved to the next player dropping in his putt. You may have saved 5 seconds.

Off rant.

Some much-needed perspective. Thanks for the insight into the costs of production for something like this. I think DGP could even be successful following your model of lead-card only with post-production and cranking it out within a week. People would eat it up still.

I don't thing their producer <Doc Duesler> goes to the events. He actually coordinates from his home in Philly a fair bit of the time.

Where is everyone pulling this magic 1,000 number of viewers from? I am pretty confident the most users ever on this site at one time is less than that. And it is free here. I think this is a gross overestimation of DG's audience.

Just a point, at Worlds the last couple years there have been 2500-2700 people watching live.

For a good estimate of the (potential) audience for online viewing, take a look at the youtube subscriber numbers for some of the prominent content providers. Most have a few thousand, I think the Discraft page leads with 8300 or so. (Discraft was first on the bandwagon and gets a lot of traffic funneled through their main website, other manufacturers were slower to adopt and lag behind. DGM probably leads other content providers in subscriber base.) These numbers suggest the market is pretty limited, at least in comparison to cats playing the piano, kids crashing on their skateboards, etc.

The most successful "disc" videos out there (in terms of viewers) are brodysmith's, he just kills it. Anyone who hasn't watched his vids should look him up, cool stuff.

Joe

#1 Forget live.
#3 All post produced.

Off rant.

I talked to Greenwell about DGPtv and he said he had never been paid. Not saying they all work for free, but I believe Crazy and Greeny do

I talked to Greenwell about DGPtv and he said he had never been paid. Not saying they all work for free, but I believe Crazy and Greeny do
Seems like a 100% unsustainable venture. Working for free because you have passion only lasts so long. And the inevitable burnout is even worse.

At least they aren't getting paid for terrible commentary.