• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Rule Nazi Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where the disc is lying shouldn't matter on an OB call as it's where the disc went OB. Honestly, though, I would mark first to be safe and to prevent arguments.

However, even if they are arguing a marking violation it requires a warning first.

802.03 GA player shall receive a warning for the first violation of a marking rule. One penalty throw shall be assessed for each subsequent violation of any marking rule during the round.

In this case though, the group agreed on the mark. If the player went forward of the group retrieved the disc and still hadn't put the mini down before the group arrived, then I could see a warning for a marking violation since the group wouldn't have had as good of a reference for judging where the disc went out.

Haha, seriously though I agree about those who try to call you for not being perfectly centered behind your mini or for straddle putts close to the basket where you may technically have one foot in front of the back of your lie so long as it is equidistant or at least not closer to the basket than the rear of your mini. It has helped me out of some awkward putts that were close to the basket, just odd angles...but people don't realize it isn't a foot fault.

I hope this is sarcasm... Not being behind the center line of your mini is a foot fault. I see people all the time trying to just get behind the edge of the mini to get farther out, etc. I've called it many times. It is a foot fault. Your point of contact needs to be behind the line of play when you release the disc.

As for the straddle thing, it's been covered before using some nice geometry and such. As is, if you have the off foot closer then the one behind your mini the actual distance where you could claim it's not small. Basically to the point where if it is, I will call a foot fault because it is a foot fault.

Know the rules please and play by them. Then the "rules nazis" won't bother you.

legal1.jpg

legal2.jpg

illegal.jpg

Know the rules please and play by them. Then the "rules nazis" won't bother you.

I know the rules very well thank you very much...my point always has been on the rules where there is a judgement call to be made... on in situations where people make up rules and it causes drama in a group when you have to call them to task or waste time going through the rule book to show them they are wrong.

I know the rules very well thank you very much...my point always has been on the rules where there is a judgement call to be made... on in situations where people make up rules and it causes drama in a group when you have to call them to task or waste time going through the rule book to show them they are wrong.

But neither of those cases applied to your original post if you take Discette's information into account.

Everyone in your group agreed you were taking an illegal stance. Doesn't seem like much of a "judgement call" if everyone agrees except you.

From the sound of it you were the one confusing the issue about playing from the incorrect lie. Seems like it would have been pretty quick to read the rule and get going again.

But neither of those cases applied to your original post if you take Discette's information into account.

Everyone in your group agreed you were taking an illegal stance. Doesn't seem like much of a "judgement call" if everyone agrees except you.

From the sound of it you were the one confusing the issue about playing from the incorrect lie. Seems like it would have been pretty quick to read the rule and get going again.

It is a judgement call if not everyone in the group agreed...I was part of the group and I did not agree. Plus you have to take everything into account, this was a group of MA3 players, now discette was knowledgeable of the rules, but most of the other people in that division is not. I did use to be a certified rules official and have been a TD at many events.

If you want to disagree that is fine, my point was I did not agree with their assessment and I felt I was being singled out because I was leading at that point and I was the guy from out of town.

I hope this is sarcasm... Not being behind the center line of your mini is a foot fault. I see people all the time trying to just get behind the edge of the mini to get farther out, etc. I've called it many times. It is a foot fault. Your point of contact needs to be behind the line of play when you release the disc.

As for the straddle thing, it's been covered before using some nice geometry and such. As is, if you have the off foot closer then the one behind your mini the actual distance where you could claim it's not small. Basically to the point where if it is, I will call a foot fault because it is a foot fault.

thank you, zen. the arc has saved me many a time in tricky situations. even an inch or two forward can make a difference.

and as far as "perfectly centered" goes, allow me to clarify: i mean "not quite perpendicular to the line" where the front of my foot, my toe, is perfectly behind the mini but the rear of my foot may be a little farther off to the side due to my duck-footed posture. i don't try to sneak out off to the side. i keep my toe behind my mini. and i certainly do make it a point to know the rules. ;)

Last edited:
thank you, zen. the arc has saved me many a time in tricky situations. even an inch or two forward can make a difference.

I just drew up a diagram, to scale, and with your feet spread 33" you get an extra 1.6" forward. :)

I just drew up a diagram, to scale, and with your feet spread 33" you get an extra 1.6" forward. :)

yep, and as you get closer to the basket that arc tightens up, allowing you to step out from behind some very awkward spots, especially considering you can keep your left foot 30 cm or less back. i would never try doing that when i couldn't accurately judge whether or not i was foot faulting. i'll admit it can look goofy to the people who don't know about it.

*edit* so may I'M a rule nazi for trying to use them in that fashion. :clap:

Last edited:

and as far as "perfectly centered" goes, allow me to clarify: i mean "not quite perpendicular to the line" where the front of my foot, my toe, is perfectly behind the mini but the rear of my foot may be a little farther off to the side due to my duck-footed posture. i don't try to sneak out off to the side. i keep my toe behind my mini. and i certainly do make it a point to know the rules. ;)

That's the picture I was thinking of! This has been discussed a few times. By the math. Assuming a 30 foot putt with a stance 3 foot wide. (which is quite wide really). Your off foot could be up to 4 inches farther forward. Which is not a lot, but is some. On a 10 foot putt it could be up to 8 and 3/4 inches closer. The shorter the putt the more the difference in the arc. The farther the less it is. I would keep the diagram and math in your bag with you to show people.

It's not that much distance and you'll always have people that will argue it. I wouldn't go for that 8 inches on a ten foot putt just to avoid the arguments, lol.

As for the other, I would say make sure it's your toe and not the tip of your shoe. I would also say, make sure you are supporting yourself with the toe. Most people I would argue don't if they are straddling way out to one side. But truly the only issue I have are those guys that try to put the tip of their shoe behind the side of their mini and call it good. And the ones that put their toe behind the mini and then support themselves with their heel and throw. That is a foot fault. In that case your heel should be behind your mini.

this is actually becoming kind of an interesting research topic for me, haha. i just took out a tape measure and my average straddle where i feel "comfortable" and powerful through my hips and legs (i'm 6'2") is 3 feet. i went to my widest straddle that i would take which is about 5' (rarely ever happens unless i'm truly streching), which just about locks my knee and hip out for both legs. it would be fun to figure out how much you could gain, albeit purely for kicks and giggles.

as far as the 8" on the 10' putt, sometimes it means the difference between squaring up to the basket and having to try and hyzer putt, which is a big deal for me. a lot of the baskets here in MN have trees less than 20' from them so i like to make sure i know my options and always try to move my foot farther back behind my lie first to see what i can make work.

as far as the "tip of the toe" goes, i'd agree that if it's not supporting you, it's not a supporting point. making THAT call might get us called rule nazis on the course, but i don't know how you can possibly prove someone is not supporting themselves with the tip of their foot. if it is touching the ground and providing some balance, i think the argument can (and should) be made that it is a supporting point.

Last edited:
Found my silly math error....

at 30 foot with a 3 foot stance your off foot could be 1.8 inches roughly farther forward. at 10 foot it would be 5.3 inches roughly.

**I used the wrong number at first, my bad....

at 10 foot with a 5 foot stance your off foot could be roughly 14 inches farther forward ;)

Last edited:
Its much easier to just draw a straight line through your mini from the pole (mentally, obv) and then point your foot straight at it, directly behind your mini, and you have 90 deg on either side from the back of your mini, like an upside down capital T

Found my silly math error....

at 30 foot with a 3 foot stance your off foot could be 1.8 inches roughly farther forward. at 10 foot it would be 5.3 inches roughly.

**I used the wrong number at first, my bad....

at 10 foot with a 5 foot stance your off foot could be roughly 14 inches farther forward ;)

Also think about the fact that you can have your foot behind the mini up to 30cm, so you can add that to all of your totals...

All of you measurement guys; make sure to note that the rules Nazis that have appeared in this thread (which as been the majority of the responders); have already noted that if you're supporting with your heel instead of your (big) toe (I guess?), or if you're one inch off the center of you mini marker (and shouldn't that really be your middle toe that needs to be within a millimeter of the center of your mini?); they will (and have) call(ed) you on it.
Not that the rules are judgment oriented though; you will just have to believe they know what they're talking about regarding you being a fraction of a millimeter off your mark...and that their 20/20 eyesight sees that perfectly...and that you've not moved a blade of grass while stepping up to your mini...

...rules Nazis indeed; this thread has turned out perfect and they've represented themselves well.

Status
Not open for further replies.