• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Underground or Big Time?

Disc Golf big time or down low?

• Hope it remains grass roots and underground

Votes: 87 42.4%
  • Wanna it to blow up and become big time

Votes: 92 44.9%
  • I don't care it does not affect me

Votes: 26 12.7%

• Total voters
As long as I get to throw a disc I could really careless if it stays grass roots or blows up. Each situation has its ups and downs.

I guess it was the one disc, 5 beer people who trashed the facilities at Red Hawk and got the course removed? Even with a PDGA major going on?

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1310

I know one thing that isn't going to advance this sport. Parochial attitudes by some people who play competitively thinking they're some higher life form than those who play for fun. God knows, I've seen plenty of tournament players with a 5-1 beer can:disc ratio in their bags, and going into the woods to spark up a J. Even during sanctioned events.

Don't be angry cause you didn't like my opinion, that just shows immaturity. To be honest you didn't even have anything to say that is on topic besides trashing what I said.

As long as I get to throw a disc I could really careless if it stays grass roots or blows up. Each situation has its ups and downs.

Agreed. But to be honest we will just have to see what the PDGA does, its really out of our hands.

the pdga does little or nothing to grow the game- the game is grown by individuals on a local level, many of whom happen to be pdga members because it's the only game in town. the only courses the pdga has ever installed are the ones on site at the disc golf center in georgia. i have put more courses than that in the ground myself.

I think Disc Golf is slowly growing. I remember when I first started playing, my home course would be empty. Now, when I go out there, I might see 30-40 players. I see a lot of families playing as well.

Interesting how close this poll has come out to be. I agree with keep it low key and continuing to sustain solid growth over becoming a fad and tarnished by mass popularity. This reminds me of other sports that had "souls" and are inherently special to many people. Surfing and skateboarding come to mind. Both sports had a culture around them that made them special...I would hate to have disc golf lose that unique feeling that surrounds the sport. Sadly I am afraid that perhaps many including those who voted on this poll have no clue what I am talking about?

I can see very little benefit to me for the sport to grow exponentially. From a selfish perspective I would enjoy being able to fire up the DVR and watch a good match before heading out for a round. But since that's not an option I could go out and watch some of the top pros in person. Something that is far more difficult and expensive to do with ball golf. The sport is absolutely growing for the better in some respects, such as more courses to explore, and for the worse in other respects that have already been mentioned. The growth the sport is experiencing now seems sustainable for a while and more manageable than a mushrooming type growth that helped turn boxing into a farce with an alphabet soup of sanctioning bodies.

Change, especially of the sudden "blow up" variety, is usually bad and poorly planned. I'd prefer it to stay grass roots and off of TV. Slow growth, based on nothing other than word-of-mouth, is inevitable.

I just hate how when people find out you DG they always jump the gun and think you are either a hippie or a pothead or both.

I can't speak for myself but i know there is TONS of players that aren't hippies or pot heads. Hell I know a few guys that are awesome at DG and have NEVER smoked any bud.

I've never had anyone I've spoken to about the sport react like that towards me (despite being very aware of the stereotype myself). And I've introduced quite a few people to the game.

I've been playing for over 25 years and have enjoyed the sport's growth.

I'd like to see it continue, but I don't wan tto see it "blow up" and bring in the a-holes. I like the positive culture we have on the course and that is what needs to grow along with the sport.

Me, I'd love to see it stay as it is. I lover being a part of a counter-culture. BIG TIME, means money. Money has a tendency to draw A-holes. More crowds on the courses. Longer playing times. Less fun for me at least. I love to fish, many who post here do. But I prefer to Fly Fish. Again a path less travelled. I love music, and again most on here do. But most also love alternative forms of music. Not top 40 crap. So when I say I saw Cornmeal this past Thursday, those that know who Cornmeal is, knows that I'm into good music, not insipid "radio" junk.

So when we actually turn someone new on to the sport it has much more impact to them and their lives because they can do something fun, challenging and NOT mainstream. It welcomes them to an exclusive sport.

Yea I wish there was kind of an in between option. Just show that it could be rexognized by the world and become a mainstream sport.

Not so sure about that John.
The WAFC - Washington Area Frisbee Club runs ultimate leagues in DC year round - and last time I checked, have over 1000 co-ed players during the summer league. There are ultimate teams at most area colleges AND high schools. As a matter of fact - a Women's Club Team (Scandal) will be playing at RFK this weekend before the Washington Freedom (Pro Womens Soccer) game.

DG has isolated itself from perhaps the largest body of already indoctrinated frisbee players - ultimate players - for no discernable reason.

Last edited:
I don't want it to remain secluded, but it doesn't need to blow up. Just continue at the rate it is. Keep courses free, and keep inviting your friends and introducing the sport that way.

Latest posts