• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf While Pregnant?

Mystjava

I am wondering if there are any gals out there who've disc golfed while they were pregnant. It is still early for me right now, but I am wondering about your experiences - the goods and the bads. :eek:

A friend of mine's wife did the first trimester but the doctor advised her not to due to her complaining of being tired and sore. She started spotting but as you know every woman is different. I say you know your limits and just don't over do it. It's pretty much the same as walking. If you walk a mile every day and then grow tired when walking then don't walk a mile. Hope this helps?

People have been known to say I look pregnant but I actually am not. it doesn't seem to change my playing anyway.

A friend of mine from school went swing dancing with me and my friends for my birthday one year while she was less than a month away from giving birth.

On a side note I have heard that the more you walk during your pregnancy the easier the delivery is. Disc Golf is a lot of good walking.

On a side note I have heard that the more you walk during your pregnancy the easier the delivery is. Disc Golf is a lot of good walking.

This is true. Disc golf is actually a very good activity to do while you're pregnant. Pregnancy didn't slow my wife down a bit. Babies are very well protected before birth and can take a lot of movement/activity.

Yeah, it's not like our ancestors had a heck of a lot of choice about whether to be active during pregnancy through most of human history -- food still had to be gathered and prepared, older kids cared for, etc., and a semi-nomadic hunter/gatherer existence involved a whole lot of walking (and not on paved walking trails with high-tech shoes and such).

The notion that pregnant women are "too delicate" for physical activity is pretty much a product of the last couple of centuries, and mostly in Western societies. As any good doctor will likely tell you, your body will let you know if there's a problem.

There is a girl that I have seen at tournaments throughout this season that is pregnant...like due in a month I think or less...(in her third trimester) She plays, I never pay attention to her scores but I played one with her husband and he said she does fine..even on hot days she just has to stay hydrated....I don't think she is all there though cause she is a nurse...and still smokes...wtf?

I agree with you on that.. wtf? It drives me crazy - when gals who know they're pregnant, but smoke/drink/take risk to the infant - it's nuts! The importance is taking care of yourself so you can take care of the one that's within you. Thanks for letting me know about the hydration part (mmyersdisc - thanks!)...

My wife is 13 weeks today, and has been playing tournaments the whole time. She has fatigued more than normal and will usually sack out over the lunch break, but aside from a couple of meltdowns after bad shots, she is doing okay. She will most likely be playing at worlds this year too. I have to make her drink enough water and eat enough though. That seems to help, and with as focused on disc golf as she gets, it's actually a hard task.

Thanks for providing support to your love one Patrick.. I hope the child will become a disc golf player like his/her parents.. I know of one couple who's son just loves to throw his discs! He's got a good arm for a 3 year old!

To give you guys heads up why I am asking.. my loved one wanted to know if I will continue to play disc golf if I were to become pregnant, I had said yes. I also wanted to get some feedback from rest of the crew who play disc golf and is also pregnant. Guys and Gals.. Thank you for the support.

I don't want to sound like a monster or animal but before everyone decided it was morally wrong women smoked and drank throughout their pregnancies.

So chances are your grandmothers mother, mothers mother, mother and you were most likely from a drinker/smoker at some point. (given that it seems EVERYONE from the 20s forward smoked and drank SOMETHING)

It is easy to point the finger at something everyone says is bad but lets completely disregard the insane amount of chemicals we put in our body in the form of preservatives and synthetics.

Sorry about the rant!!

Just take care of yourself and let the lil one tell you when it is enough.

Thanks for providing support to your love one Patrick.. I hope the child will become a disc golf player like his/her parents.. I know of one couple who's son just loves to throw his discs! He's got a good arm for a 3 year old!

Mom threw the shot and discuss in college on scholarship and I threw javelin. We are hoping the little one is first healthy and second gets some aptitude of throwing stuff. Hopefully it doesn't learn that skill by flinging food on me first. We are very excited as this is our first. It will most likely get a taste of worlds in 2011 since my parents live right outside of Charlotte and we have already let the Grandparents to be know that they will be doing some baby sitting that week.

I am 30 weeks pregnant with my second child. I am what doctors label a "high risk pregnancy" due to severe back problems (had two back surgeries with in months of becoming pregnant).

I still try to get out and play once a week, as long as the temps aren't too hot for me. I wear a maternity support belt at times, as it helps take the weight off my lower back when doing excessive walking and am always sure to drink PLENTY of water, I try to shoot for a gallon a day now that it's warmer out.

All of my doctors, OB, Rehabilitaion Health and Neuro Surgeon agree that playing disc is great exercise for me during (and after) my pregnancy. Throwing backhand is out of the question now as my belly gets in the way of twisting to get enough power but my forearm throws are the same as pre pregnancy.

You'll be just fine playing a few rounds, if you have any concerns just ask your doctor(s), that's what they're there for. If you feel uncomfortable while playing just slow down, walking and throwing, or sit out a few holes (as I've been known to do on the longer holes). You know your body better than anyone else, listen to what it tells you.

I don't want to sound like a monster or animal but before everyone decided it was morally wrong women smoked and drank throughout their pregnancies.

So chances are your grandmothers mother, mothers mother, mother and you were most likely from a drinker/smoker at some point. (given that it seems EVERYONE from the 20s forward smoked and drank SOMETHING)

I completely agree. I was just having this conversation with a woman in her 80's yeaterday. Being her and her husband were very well off she said she drank martini's and smoked during her pregnancies as that was the normal behavior of the wealthy in her time. All of her children turned out just fine, as did their children.

I'm in no way advocating other pregnant women to drink and smoke all day, but a glass of wine here and a cigarette to calm your nerves there are not going to harm anything. The key to these things is MODERATION. The problem with these things is that some people over indulge, causing harm to themselves and their unborn child.

I have to take pain meds during my entire pregnancy (for the rest of my life actually) due to my back injuries. All of my doctors agree that it is better for me and my unborn child that I take the medication as the pain and stress I would encounter if I didn't would be devistating to both me and my child.

Latest posts