• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc League Ranking Idea

barg0076

I'm starting a casual disc golf league on my backyard (tire) course, and I came up with a unique idea for ranking.

The league is going to be ranked using super scores... Each week everyone turns in their score cards and I update their hole records for each hole. These individual records are then summed to get their super score. This allows people to play once and still be compared to those who play often. So basically The super score is based on their potential perfect score.

What do you guys think?

Your record score is kept for each of the 18 holes. Then the 18 record hole scores are added together to get your super score. The more you play, the more opportunities you have to lower your super score.

Ah ok. It's a cool idea. I don't know if everyone would be willing to do that though. It's also going to be a pain to write down everyone's scores for each hole. Just my $.02

How does that ranking based on the super score actually affect league play? If you're using it for handicapping or for trying to make even pairs for doubles, it's an interesting idea.

I was just thinking it would motivate people to show up each week since they have incentive to play more to get a better super score than their buddy. Also, the super score changes more often than say a best score ranking so it keep things interesting throughout the year!

It's also going to be a pain to write down everyone's scores for each hole.
Umm, use a scorecard?

Its a fun idea, but I think the problem is that frequent players will only be able to improve their score so much after awhile, and you may eventually end up with ties as more players end up getting birdies. They can only improve by getting an ace, or a long deuce on a hole that is generally out of reach. Perhaps using an average of say, their best 5-10 rounds would be better.

Its a fun idea, but I think the problem is that frequent players will only be able to improve their score so much after awhile, and you may eventually end up with ties as more players end up getting birdies. They can only improve by getting an ace, or a long deuce on a hole that is generally out of reach. Perhaps using an average of say, their best 5-10 rounds would be better.
Statistically speaking, I believe this premise to be quite sound. Eventually, you'd probably end up with a very tight grouping. Increasing the sample size would allow the cream to rise to the top.

This is a good point. However, maybe use most recent 5-10 instead of best...might give more variation due to streaks/slumps.

I like the overall idea, sounds cool.

I was just thinking it would motivate people to show up each week since they have incentive to play more to get a better super score than their buddy. Also, the super score changes more often than say a best score ranking so it keep things interesting throughout the year!

Umm, use a scorecard?

This is a good point. However, maybe use most recent 5-10 instead of best...might give more variation due to streaks/slumps.

I like the overall idea, sounds cool.

This is what I was going to suggest. If you keep it as their best scores, they may not be able to improve after a while, going with the most recent rounds gives people a reason to want to show up. If they want their average to come down, they'll keep playing :)

Maybe add something like 1/10th of their worst score on that hole, as a sort of tie-breaker. Make it worst score from the previous 5 rounds or something, so they have incentive to show up and "erase" that bad score.

Latest posts