• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc selection (bad knees)

Trench

I am a newer player with only a few months under me. I am having trouble getting much distance due to bad knees. I enjoy the game and can move around but I cannot get a run up or X step. I have found the side arm is my best distance throw. I am able to get a Valkyrie out to 200' pretty accurately . Is there any advise on technique or a better disk to throw..?

Thanks so much .

I am a stand and deliver thrower primarily... I rarely do an x step... and I do just fine.

the sidearm throw is also good for your knees... so that or the stand and deliver... and reserve the x step for just every now and then... you'll still have lots of fun and can keep your score decent as well...

I'd try some lighter discs. My father plays and uses lighter drivers because he has the same problem as you(knees). And he does just fine. I would suggest the sidearm tho. Probably a good idea

Look up Stokely's driving clinic vid, he does this 3 step casual af walkup to forehand that defies physics.

I'm guessing you could get that 200' accuracy with a slightly slower disc. I don't know discs terribly well, but a TL maybe? My brother has been loving a Z Heat for straight forehand drives. Lately, I've also been re-introducing forehand Buzzz shots into my game. They've been working very well in recent memory, for 150-200' shots from a standstill or one step.

Also, be sure to invest some time/energy into learning to hyzer-flip your discs for max distance, as well as other forehand variations like turnovers (a forehand Z Comet throw can be a beautiful thing) and maybe skip shots.

Good luck!

I get good distance with a Mamba. I use it sometimes when I am stuck with no way to get a good full power shot and it just glides along.

I'm guessing you could get that 200' accuracy with a slightly slower disc. I don't know discs terribly well, but a TL maybe? My brother has been loving a Z Heat for straight forehand drives. Lately, I've also been re-introducing forehand Buzzz shots into my game. They've been working very well in recent memory, for 150-200' shots from a standstill or one step.

Also, be sure to invest some time/energy into learning to hyzer-flip your discs for max distance, as well as other forehand variations like turnovers (a forehand Z Comet throw can be a beautiful thing) and maybe skip shots.

Good luck!

I agree with a slower disc. I would try something speed 6-7 with some glide, like the River. I can throw my River from a standing position about 230, which I do sometimes for upshots. It's a little touchier than the Valk if there's a good bit of wind but in light winds or less, it's my go to disc.

My farthest throw ever was a forehanded hyzer flipped Pro Leopard. Was just experimenting with how much hyzer it could turn over from. Felt like the thing was darn near vertical, but was probably in the park of -45deg.

Some terrific suggestions here. XL, XPress, TL, Leopard, Mamba, River, Saint, Underworld. I think my rule of thumb for stand still shots is to move down a slot or two in stability and pull through on a flat straight line. Much will depend on your arm strength and pull.

I'm an older thrower, and while my knees aren't terrible, they aren't great either. I throw RHBH and from a standing position. I try to stick with lighter discs, lower 160's on my drivers, and not much higher than a speed 7 disc. Sometimes a speed 9 Valk when I am trying for maximum distance. I really wish I could throw sidearm, but it hurts when I do. The attached video in this thread was very interesting, and I'm going to try to work on it and see if I can learn it. I have a couple of Latitude 64 Diamond discs that I really like, but they are lighter weight than I normally play with so they have thrown my timing off when I try to use them. They are a great disc though IMO. Right now my main driving disc is a Teebird.

Latest posts