• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Weight and Selection Questions

cjsleme

I went to a sporting goods store today to buy a new ape since my last one rolled into a lake. (I use destroyer for tailwind forehand drives and ape for headwind. I don't know much about flight patterns I just know they work good for me because lower speeds or more to right on chart I overpower and turn over. I use Avanger ss and valkyrie for back hand drives but can not get as much distance.) I was looking in the store today at different discs and they had a marshall street flight chart as well. This store had a big selection of discs and I was looking at the Champion Blizzard plastic.
What are ideal conditions for throwing these light discs?
In calm wind conditions would I be able to throw the Blizzard discs farther or would they be harder to throw?
If I wanted to try a Champion Blizzard, should I go up in speed level or left or right on the flight chart or use the same discs as normal?

Last edited:
How far do you throw, my friend? What is your normal top distance on a drive?

Rule of thumb: If you have a big arm, use heavier (171-180g) plastic; if you have an arm like mine, use lighter plastic (165-171g). If you're not sure, throw what feels good to you. Really light stuff (164<) might make you turn discs over more than you're used to.

I am (admittedly) not the guy who should be giving advice, but I've played enough to notice and appreciate the subtle difference in disc weight. That said, please take my "wisdom" with the requisite grain of salt.

Good luck, brother!

for a forehand throw I would suggest max weight 175g the blizzards will be super flippy for a forehand, where as a backhand they wont be as understable because the backhand gets so much more spin

With my right hand forehand shot using destroyer or ape it usually makes a big s curve about 250-300 feet. If I use teebird eagle or valkyrie with forehand it won't come back for S shape but just turn over into the ground. That is a guess, the open field hole at my local course is 327 feet and I usually go short of it but sometimes I will reach the distance but it will be to the left or right of it if that makes sense.

no ape rolls and destroyers are not for tailwinds.

You my friend need to work on that Oatmeal as its no good in space without water.

u are probably rolling your wrist over which would turnover those discs.. what I would suggest is work on releasing your valkryie, teebird, etc forehand on a hyzer flip that fades out. keep the palm to the sky!

The ape I rolled into the lake I accidently turned over quickly chains, that doesn't normally happen.
My destroyer has been consistently great for me in tailwind.

I have to release my destroyer and ape with a hyzer facing down to the ground otherwise I will turn it over if I released it flat, especially if I faced it up toward the sky when I released. I think I am a natural forehand because when I was younger I used to throw baseballs with a side arm.

I have done the same thing but I promise you there is something to work on if that is going on. 100%. No disc in the world can help if the ape rolls and the destroyer is your tailwind driver. You maxed out (at 1000') if that was the case.

Anyways!!! lets talk about my backhand! I have way less power with my backhand, would I be able to throw a blizzard disc farther with my back hand? I do not throw as far with BH

^^ They are trying to help, no need to yell!!! :)

Edit: Well, Aim WAS trying to help. LOL

Anyways!!! lets talk about my backhand! I have way less power with my backhand, would I be able to throw a blizzard disc farther with my back hand? I do not throw as far with BH

Most people do have less power with their backhand, brother. Initially, at least. Don't sweat it....it will come.

I suggest starting with flippier plastic when you're throwing backhand. Beat up DX and Pro plastic is good for this, but if you like the new stuff you can't go wrong with G-Star. G-Star plastic is a lot grippier and flippier. Blizzard and Star are a lot more stable.

Okay, on the Ape;(fellow Ape thrower here BTW) it is very hard to flip one when thrown flat with proper form. I throw a pair of max weight Apes and only flip one if I put it on an Anhyzer angle and throw it too low.

It seems by your condundrum that your putting some off-axis torque on your drive. It's an easy thing to do forehand, try to keep from turning your hand and keep the nose down. I can throw mine 450+ without worrying about flipping, unless it's user error.

You might want to see if you can make a Firebird work for you. It's even a bit meatier than the Ape but not so fast.

If you can be consistent with your form, it will do wonders for your distance.

Latest posts