• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Weight

Harry Bob

Can anyone give me some information on disc weights? If I get a heavier or lighter disc, how will it perform compared to the one I already have? Is there a better weight class (lighter/average/heavier) for drivers, fairways, mid-ranges, putters, stable, over-stable, under-stable, forehand, backhand, etc.? Is it all subjective to the user, or is there a preferred standard?

Thanks,
HB

ewverything to do with disc golf varies from player to player...i throw mostly max weight discs..lighter plastic will "flip over" or anhyzer easier..experiment with different weights and use what you feel comfy with

Lighter discs are easier to snap (spin) with can cause people to turn them over easily. However since they are light they do not cut through the wind as well and will be effected by wind more. Heavier disc require more snap to get them to spin fast but cut through the wind easier and will be effect by it less.

drivers - 166-172 range.
midrange - 180
Putter - 175

It's mostly subjective too how it feels for you... some people like lighter discs then others, you can really bomb a light disc (providing no wind), the best thing too do would be too do some field work with discs.. find out what weight works best for you.

Lighter discs are easier to snap (spin) with can cause people to turn them over easily. However since they are light they do not cut through the wind as well and will be effected by wind more. Heavier disc require more snap to get them to spin fast but cut through the wind easier and will be effect by it less.

This is my experience with it. Beyond that, I've notice even two grams to make a big difference in the feel of my disc (specifically the Groove).

What's best is mostly subjective. Experiment and decide what works for you.

It seems most better players trend toward the heavier discs.

My experience, as neither one of the better players nor one with a strong arm, is that heavier discs are more controllable. Lighter discs of the same model not only flip more readily, but less consistently, and are more affected by winds, especially crosswinds. On the other hand, I can get a little more distance with them, especially with tailwinds or calm conditions.

So I carry some of both, but for the most part would rather have better control than a little extra distance.

For me I like my skeeter/putter at 170 or 171. I'm starting to like my midranges/rocs heavier 175-180, it just seems like they fly better than my 170s. For drivers I carry a couple of 150's and some in the 167-170 range. When there is no wind I can make the light stuff float for days, if it's windy though I leave them in the car(unless it's gonna be a tailwind on most holes). I have some 175 drivers and just don't like them, though I did throw them in a 40-50mph crosswind and loved what they did. But, we don't get that kind of wind often.

The only thing I think is nearly universal is to use heavy putters. Nothing worse than having the wind grab them on a relatively short putt. They are very wind vulnerable due to their deeper rims.

Everything else, do what feels right...I throw mostly mid 70s discs but have 1 150 class and can make that puppy sing.

I would say start around 165 weight, and as you start to flip the disc (when the disc turns opposite the natural curve, or anhyzer) then move up in weights. Keep those lighter discs though, you can learn how to throw hyzer flips, or rollers. I personally like about 171-175, about 172 for my backhands and 175 for my forehands

For my forehands I like them somewhere around 168. A forehand already has a lot of spin but the lighter weight is easier to gain distance. Because of the spin they cut the wind well.IMO

Backhands I like about 170 to 172. Its kind of a compromise since money for a lot of discs is not there. Heavy enough to cut most wind issues and lite enough to spin fast.

My putting has improved drastically since switching from a 173 wizard to a 166g. I still carry the 173 for heavy wind but love the lighter putter, especially for longer putts.

I like heavy putters and mids, but I like drivers just a little lighter. I carry drivers between 164 and 171, and one nice heavy 175 orc for windy days.

So to sum up ...

Light weights will flip easier.
Heavy weights will cut through the wind

(This is all due to the well-known Squafflebaffersnafferplaffer Effect)

Heavier discs tend to overstability (heavier discs tend to fade out earlier and quicker), whereas lighter discs tend to understability (lighter discs are easier to turn over). This is generally true for any mold.

Heavier discs are also less affected by wind, so they are generally preferred in windy conditions, unless you want to get extra distance on a drive with a tailwind. In that case you might try a lighter disc.

Lighter discs go farther. Heavier discs are more accurate. Your arm strength will usually determine what weight is appropriate for what job.

I started out with 150 class discs. Those got old fast. I use middleweight drivers (168-172) and close to max weight as possible for midranges and putters now.

I think most people end up with a sweet spot in weights that they end up using for any given disc. There's a balance of length and predictability that you'll find for each disc. For big arms they aren't really sacrificing much distance with heavy discs, and don't need extra D anyway, so they normally go heavy. Newbies and kids don't loose much predictability but gain measurable D with really light discs. Most of us fall in the middle somewhere where going heavier won't make discs more predictable but you'll lose D and going lighter won't get you much D but you'll lose some predictability.

Heaviest disc in my bag is 172g.

Max weight discs are over rated (at least if you are just starting out) - as they tend to mask imperfections in technique.

You don't need heavy discs to gain distance - and they are only marginally better in the wind - unless you are talking about MUCH lighter discs (like 150 class). Lighter discs will force you to learn to throw cleanly.

Ultimately, there is no one right answer, you need to find what feels right and performs best FOR YOU.

i like my distance drivers overstable in the upper 160s then if i need more hyzer i just use the same disc in a heavier weight right now i use 3 starfires a (167,169,171) the lighter disc can handle more anny and still come back where the heavier ones sometimes will take off to the right then keep going straight that way.

for fairways,mids,and putters its only 172 or better

I throw mostly 170+ drivers, 178+ rocs. I have 2 discs under 170, a star wraith long anny disc and a 169 TL for those super straight 325 shots.