• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

Field work instead maybe?

I know I was doing it wrong when i first started doing mids and putter rounds. I was trying to still have birdie looks on every hole (granted my home courses are all short enough I could try) But I always found trouble on the longer or boarder line longer holes. I hand an epiphany about it after a while I'm not trying to score my best scores i'm trying to throw finicky discs well. Concentrate on throwing to the right spot and get the flight you can manage out of the slower discs. DON"T try for extra distance work on good throws. The distance comes eventually.

That is where I get frustrated. I get to holes where there is no right spot within my putter range. Maybe what I need to do is lay out a plan like someone might do for a tournament. Maybe that will let keep a better attitude and still have fun while I'm shooting 6 or 10 strokes worse that normal, instead of just seething because I'm jump putting a tee shot on a 450 foot hole to stay in bounds or I'm throwing a 50-75 foot pitch out 2nd shot because I wasn't able to throw my drive past the trouble. Or maybe I allow myself to throw something like a Teebird (versus a Ballista or Destroyer) on those couple of holes, so I at least have a shot at getting my drive in position for a par.

This is where I struggle. I tend to play relatively long relatively open courses and I need every inch of distance that I can find. How do I make these rounds with no chance of scoring decent (never going to have a birdie look, long par 3's that I can't reach in 2 with a putter, long par 4's that I can't reach in 3, holes where I have to pitch out/up on my 2nd shot because I can't reach the landing zone, etc) not feel like such a grind?

1. Don't keep score.
2. Disregard par.

3. Just focus on form. You are working on form and throw good shots, not scoring.

No saying it is easy or not a grind.

1. Don't keep score.
2. Disregard par.

3. Just focus on form. You are working on form and throw good shots, not scoring.

No saying it is easy or not a grind.

It is so hard to get on a full course open enough to play a scoring round these days that that seems like wasted resources.

Most of my play these days is either field work or jumping around holes and getting the shots I can on a 9 hole course.

This seemed like the most appropriate place to put this, based on thread title...
5adlghjk6uy61.png

That is where I get frustrated. I get to holes where there is no right spot within my putter range. Maybe what I need to do is lay out a plan like someone might do for a tournament. Maybe that will let keep a better attitude and still have fun while I'm shooting 6 or 10 strokes worse that normal, instead of just seething because I'm jump putting a tee shot on a 450 foot hole to stay in bounds or I'm throwing a 50-75 foot pitch out 2nd shot because I wasn't able to throw my drive past the trouble. Or maybe I allow myself to throw something like a Teebird (versus a Ballista or Destroyer) on those couple of holes, so I at least have a shot at getting my drive in position for a par.

What's your putter range?

There's a video of McBeth throwing a putter round where he talks about treating certain par 3 holes as if it is a par 4, making it a 2-shot hole. So even though he was scoring worse during a putter round, his focus was on throwing the right shots and following a plan, thus working on mental game in addition to putter throws.

What's your putter range?

There's a video of McBeth throwing a putter round where he talks about treating certain par 3 holes as if it is a par 4, making it a 2-shot hole. So even though he was scoring worse during a putter round, his focus was on throwing the right shots and following a plan, thus working on mental game in addition to putter throws.

With room to throw? Probably averaging about 220-230, with 250 on really good shots.

Well I was trudging around looking for old stuff haha.

I've disced down rather successfully finally, due to age and injury haha. It's funny to read back, discing down from the past is starting look like discing up.

I've been forced to disc down due to an Injury and while it's been good for my BH form (FH dominant for 3 years) I'm still not comfortable throwing certain slow speed discs.

Just spent a weekend out of town, playing disc golf with some friends.. the last round I said "duck it" and threw my destroyer on every single tee-shot, 150 feets or 400 didn't matter, and shot a -9 round (7 better than the previous round, where I threw all of my bag).

Point being : if you're too bad to throw a putter dead straight on a open 150' hole, take your destroyer and absolutely rip it into the sky.

I'll be back next week with more shitty advices - you're welcome 😂

- seriously though, throw putters and mids, it'll benefit you in the long run

I've been forced to disc down due to an Injury and while it's been good for my BH form (FH dominant for 3 years) I'm still not comfortable throwing certain slow speed discs.

Just spent a weekend out of town, playing disc golf with some friends.. the last round I said "duck it" and threw my destroyer on every single tee-shot, 150 feets or 400 didn't matter, and shot a -9 round (7 better than the previous round, where I threw all of my bag).

Point being : if you're too bad to throw a putter dead straight on a open 150' hole, take your destroyer and absolutely rip it into the sky.

I'm starting to realize this myself.

It's the case of "if its stupid and it works..."

There are many many golfers out there who do this, and they are good golfers.
But good at scoring more so than good at throwing.

And, that's a choice you have to make. Do I wanna be good at throwing discs, or good at scoring.

Because when it comes to coaching, nobody cares to listen to me, because the guy with the shit form throwing destroyers on 120 foot holes is scoring better than I am. So they wanna listen to him. hahaha.

Latest posts