• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discing up from XL with discraft

discdug

Par Member
I have been using the XL in all plastics with great success. Just recently I have been getting alot more distance with the Elite Z XL(350+) than before. So I grabbed a Z Avenger ss and improved my drive by 50+ feet. Is this the disc next inline to the XL?
I have only been playing for a few months now but am seeing big improvements in my drives and midrange. Putting is a whole new subject! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

i really like the Avenger SS for long drives that are pretty straight or fade to the right. you may also want to check out the Surge SS for drives finishing to the left.

my $0.02

If you are wanting a disc with more fade at the end but still a great line, I would look into either an avenger or a surge. I can carry two of each in different plastics. The surge is a great straight line holder, and the avenger hold a solid line till the end of the flight and fades left. (RHBH)

There are a lot of discs that are a "disc up" from an XL. The XS, Wildcat, Avenger, Flash, Surge, Surge-SS are all good choices. Just keep throwing the XL and find one that has the approximate stability you're looking for. I like the Z and X Avengers for the wider range of stabilities between the different plastics and narrower rim but YMMV.

If you are throwing your Z XL 350ft and your Avenger SS 400ft, and you have only been playing for a few months, then I would say your max distance can take a backseat for a while. 400ft is a distance that most players don't even get too, without great form or some very inconsistant technique (I have friends that can bomb it out to 450ft with a sidearm or really muscle torquing a fast driver, but they maybe do it 10% of the time, and the rest of the time they are god-knows-where after their drive).

You should probably instead look to different kinds of drivers for max d, or work on your shots from 400ft and in.

A more stable disc at about the same speed as the XL would probably be a good idea, to get some more accuracy or to be able to hit some lines a little easier. An eagle, Teebird, or maybe a Tracker would be good.

Maybe you should add a more stable driver that is as understable as the Avenger SS. A Wraith, Surge, or Surge SS might be a good step up, as would an Orc, Z/ESP Avenger, or a Crush.

If you are throwing 350ft with the XL, and 400ft with the Avenger SS, and are new to the sport, congrats! Things are coming to you a lot easier than they do for most of us. Keep working that short game, expand your shot repetoire, and you'll be on your way.

the avenger ss is .5 on the discraft stability scale while the xl is 1.5 so you are discing down from the xl not up, otherwise I love the avenger ss i carry two one heavier and one lighter great straight flight with just the right amount of fade at the end.

the avenger ss is .5 on the discraft stability scale while the xl is 1.5 so you are discing down from the xl not up, otherwise I love the avenger ss i carry two one heavier and one lighter great straight flight with just the right amount of fade at the end.

however the A-SS has a good deal higher cruising speed than an XL so that is effectively discing up

I like the Tracker myself, it even feels like an XL but much faster and just slightly more stable.

Try the Crush. It's a similar feel to the XL and a good step up from it without getting too far off track.

If you're really getting 350 with the xl and need more stability, I'd say z tracker. There are many faster drivers but they vary. The thing is, why get a longer xl if the xl is goin 350? Avenger ss is a longer turnover driver, but not quite xl'ish.

regular Avenger (non SS) is a good disc to learn. the Elite-X version is less stable and will beat into a hyzer-flip mad man and a great controllable turnover disc. the Elite-Z/ESP version will be more overstable but great into a headwind and will be a fantastic line shaper after it is beat in. Flatter Avengers are generally more overstable than the domey ones btw.

I loved my avenger. I have been working on form and driving, and I started driving about 50-100 feet farther. Average was starting to become 275-315ft. It flys straight. Well, a crosswind got it today, and flew straight. Straight into the lake by 30 feet.

On the plus side, I threw pasted a 295 hole by 70+ feet. I have never thrown more than 250 on this hole. Frustrating, and helpful at the same time.

But I was throwing an ProD XL, and an elite x Xpress. Xpress was my main driver because I didn't like the XL. Someone let me borrow their Avenger SS. Loved it so I went out and got one. Then the local pro told me I should also have a surge, and let me use one of his spares. After the round he gave it to me. I guess before I threw into the lake I had an overstable, stable, and understable discs.

Latest posts