• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania Discontinuing Some Discs

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that g line didn't sell well enough to keep producing it....
Interesting because I assume Innova is doing well with GStar. They make a lot of discs in it. I love GStar plastic so this probably means I won't be getting any more Discmania discs. I really wanted the DDx to come out in G-line too, ugh.

Eagle and Simon don't throw G-line discs so therefore Discmaniacs won't either even though the GFD is a fantastic flier.

Interesting because I assume Innova is doing well with GStar. They make a lot of discs in it. I love GStar plastic so this probably means I won't be getting any more Discmania discs. I really wanted the DDx to come out in G-line too, ugh.

I don't think Innova's GStar sells very well either, but I've heard that Dave Dunipace is a huge fan and desperately wants it to stay in production and succeed, for whatever reason.

Note that Trilogy also discontinued their Fluid lineup not too long ago, if I remember correctly. Though you see a few hardcore fans, it seems like the market in general just doesn't really go for that plastic type, and neither do the pros that could be promoting it.

I don't think Innova's GStar sells very well either, but I've heard that Dave Dunipace is a huge fan and desperately wants it to stay in production and succeed, for whatever reason.

Note that Trilogy also discontinued their Fluid lineup not too long ago, if I remember correctly. Though you see a few hardcore fans, it seems like the market in general just doesn't really go for that plastic type, and neither do the pros that could be promoting it.

I really hope that we are seeing the end of this soft plastic fad that has been going on for the last 3 years. It's been so hard to find firm discs outside of baseline putters.

Gummy is fine, as long as it is firm (see Plasma)

Last edited:
I've wondered who would want a glideless Tern since I "won" one of these after they first came out.

You must be thinking of the DDX. That one is more like a less glidey turn. Looks like they're scaling back production of those.

Too bad, the DDX is an underrated mold.

I'm a bit surprised they're cutting out the DD2. That thing is an absolute bomber.

Maybe I'm the oddball here, but I love gstar plastic. I currently bag two gstar teebirds, one gstar thunderbird, and a gstar firebird. I also have those molds in champion in my bag as well, but the gstar discs are $$$$. I throw thumbers from time to time and use both the gstar thunderbird and firebird since they are less likely to roll when they hit the ground, works really well for upshots. If Innova ever stops producing gstar, I'll be snagging up as many as I can find.

I hope they don't stop producing g*. I only bag two g* molds destroyer and shryke. I feel like the g* plastic is a out of the box broken in version of other plastics. I also feel like it has more glide. I play in Eastern North Carolina and it is really hot and humid here in the summer and I've noticed once it gets above 70 degrees the plastic doesn't get more Gummer as it heats up

Even as a huge GStar fan it is undeniable that pros do not throw it at all. Is there a specific reason for this? Is it only the fact that they are generally more understable or is it a feel issue? I only throw them for the feel and I wish they would mold up more overstable sometimes.

Even as a huge GStar fan it is undeniable that pros do not throw it at all. Is there a specific reason for this? Is it only the fact that they are generally more understable or is it a feel issue? I only throw them for the feel and I wish they would mold up more overstable sometimes.

Hard to say why the big names don't throw gstar, but I know some pro masters players here in the Midwest that throw gstar all the time. I also don't agree that gstar is more understable than standard star, the red domey gstar destoyers are super overstable. With the gstar teebirds and thunderbirds, I try and find the ones that have a slightly more firm rim, and for me they throw just like their star counterparts. I agree that the feel of gstar is what got me to like it in the first place. The firmer gstar discs feel pretty close to the old pearly champion plastic to me as far as flex.

I think it's a combination of a few things. G* is a relatively new plastic type so most pros have been throwing molds in a certain plastic type for years and it's what they know. On the mpo sidethey throw a mile and g* is kinda known as the understable plastic. They need something to hold up to their power. Also I could be just a preference thing.