• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft Cyclone Molds and Plastics

Desi

I have read alot about different plastics, and even different molds of the Cyclone. I am hoping someone could shed some light on the differences and even make a comprehensive post on Cyclones. Most importantly, I am trying to figure out what qualities each plastic has, such as dome, and different flights (stability).

I am also trying to figure out what the differnces between the molds are. Is there just the Cyclone 2 and the Cyclone, or is there another? If so, what are the differences and what plastics are each made in?

Thanks in advance.

I'd like to hear more also. One of my buddies reccomended the cyclone to me for backhand shots.

cyclone 101:

there are two different cyclone molds that I know of. one of them is the 'walled lake' tooling on the BOTTOM of the flight plate. these are the good cyclones and I believe everything but Z cyclones have been run in this tooling, but Pro D has also been found.

the other tooling (i cannot for the life of me remember what it was called) of the cyclone has a blunter nose. this tooling is found on the RIM of the disc. this blunter nosed tooling makes the cyclone fly slow, overstable (but useless in wind), and glideless. do not get this cyclone. now on to plastics.

Pro d cyclones that I have found are generally walled lake tooling, but they have really flat tops. im not sure how this effects it. the pro D ones I have thrown haven't been very durable.

X cyclones usually get mixed reviews, i have not thrown them.

Z cyclones suck and are OOP and you should never buy them.

ESP cyclones are probably the best cyclone right now. they fly like a cyclone should.

TP cyclones. the best cyclone IMO. durable, glidey, and very workable. they are OOP and the closest to them currently in production is probably ESP.

oh, and the cyclone 2 was just a more overstable version of the cyclone, and the Xclone was a more overstable version than that. Xclones are notorious for beating in very quickly for such an overstable disc. I don't know much about cyclone 2s other than I think they confused a lot of people. they are both OOP and have been replaced by better molds. I wouldnt waste time trying to track them down

This could be a very long discussion point but a good one to have. The Cyclone was one of the most popular drivers of the 90's and continues to be popular today.

Tournament Pro Cyclone - One of the hottest long range stable to understable drivers, that was release originally at the 1992 World PDGA Am Championships in Fort Colins, Colorado. Today it is not as fast as the low modern drivers, for example Beast. This was I think the most understable cyclone produced. Also available as a Signature disc for Ron Russel.

Ron Russel Signature Cyclone - First made in Tournament Pro plastic, then in this Elite Pro version. Blue color discs much more stable than other colors. Also available with generic Elite Pro stamp (For ex see APX Elite Pro). Released in 1998.

Pro-D Cyclone – Stable driver released in Pro D plastic in 2001. More stable than the Tournament Pro Plastic.

Cyclone 2 – More stable than the original with just a touch bigger inner rim diameter. First released in 1993. Available in Tournament Pro and Pro D as well as Elite X witch was discontinued in 2004.

The Cyclone is a very controllable fairway driver. It is kind of like a longer buzz IMO. A great disc for players of all abilities. Also great for all types of shots and styles of throwing. Today the Cyclone is available in ESP and Elite X plastic. The disc has stood the test of time and is still a staple in many players bags.

Thank you for all of the great information. Looks like ESP is what I am going to have to try now.

^^^
see info above - I type to slow

The Cyclone2 came in X and Pro-D as far as I know. The X that I threw and loved was Eagle-X-like, just a bit slower

I have always heard that the Cyclone2 had good reviews, but it's labeling was too similar to the standard Cyclone and people opted not to buy it.

I think there have always been multiple Cyclone molds. The story on the X-Clone was that it was made from a broken Cyclone mold, and it had the same tooling as the Cyclone. If they could break a Cyclone mold and still make Cyclones, it leads me to believe that there were multiple molds all along.

^^^
see info above - I type to slow

The Cyclone2 came in X and Pro-D as far as I know. The X that I threw and loved was Eagle-X-like, just a bit slower

I have always heard that the Cyclone2 had good reviews, but it's labeling was too similar to the standard Cyclone and people opted not to buy it.
The Cyclone 2 was released in '96. It was the release between the Comet and the Stratus. It got very little fanfare. We got first run Comets and Stratus in the shop, but the Cyclone 2 just sorta showed up. It was supposed to be between a Cyclone and an X-Clone, which should have been a hit since I had people digging around for green Cyclones because they were supposedly more stable. It didn't work. People were confused about what it was. A lot of people thought it was just a new Cyclone stamp. In '98 they came out with the X2, which made the Cyclone 2 obsolete anyway. In '99 Innova released the TeeBird and all the stable Discraft drivers were doomed.

I'd like to hear more also. One of my buddies reccomended the cyclone to me for backhand shots.

hmmmmm i wonder who that was, :p

cyclone is my goto fairway and any shot that calls for DEAD DEATHLY LAZER accurate shots, it is the most controllable, straightest, and predictable driver to work with IMO

flat esp :hfive:

(i wish they made a Cryztal Z/FLX Cyclone :D)

I don't know what punk told me that but he should miraculously spawn an Orange ESP one and give it to me for free from the bottom of his heart! Lmfao

The 1st run ESP (2008 1 disc challenge) is by far the best Cyclone ever, it changed my game when I won with it. I have stockpiled 57 of them so far. It just flies dead straight, or on any slight hyzer to slight turnover line I want (up to 425' on a great day), stays low, and won't flip over even in a headwind (it will get pushed over but refuses to 'flip' or 'turn'over). Very trustworthy. Great for short straight sidearms and pancake tomahawks.

In my mind the TP cyclone is the true cyclone. TP plastic has the best grip and feel of any plastic ever made imo. The only problem is that tree hits tend to taco them pretty easily. One taco and you had a flip disc. On the plus side they didn't rash very easily.

Of the TP clones there are the flat and domey ones. The flat ones are my favorite, they are neutral and will go dead straight with an OATless throw. A moderate amount of OAT will frustrate you though. If you end up picking up a TP clone, try slowing down your swing. The clones don't need a ton of snap or arm speed to go a ways. Concentrate on less OAT and the super glide will do the work for you.

I really like the cyclone for a couple reasons. The first one is it was easy to replace. If I threw it in the creek, I could get another one quickly without having to shop for a specific model.

The next was it was available in multiple plastics. I usually carried a D, X and esp cyclone. The D was generally seasoned and used on risky shots just incase I lost it. The X plastic cyclone was for understable shots and the esp was for straight or line shaping shots that were thrown hard.

Nice Disc - If I got irritated with my strikers I would probably drift back to the cyclone

Cheers - Koffee

I just purchased a light blue 174 ESP Cyclone to try, as well as another X Comet (Couldn't help myself). I know dome effects how they fly, but are any colors more stable or sought after?

A friend of mine tells me all the time that the Cyclone is a poor man's TL.

anybody else try out the z cyclone?

I'm a big fan of the ESP Cyclone; I thew the hell out of them for a while and I am seriously considering adding one back into the bag. When it comes to the Z ones though, :sick:...sorry I just threw up in my mouth a lil bit... they molded up into something completely different. They came out glideless, much more overstable, and yet they still perform remarkably crappy in the wind. I've heard it called a longer, more overstable Wasp but that might be a bit charitable. It's not completely awful, it just lacks much of what I love about the Cyclone and there gobs of discs that can do what it does better.

Latest posts