• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Pros

the1discChallenge

Eagle Member
I was watching some tourney coverage online recently and started thinking about the demographic of pros and their sponsors, and it occurred to me: Discraft doesn't really have many big names anymore. Doss and MJ are the two that immediately come to mind, but I don't see anyone else playing for them. Of course, McCabe and Pierce were both Discraft (among others), but have since moved to other companies. I've met a ton of their sponsored AM players who are all very nice and great players, but as for big, touring pros, I feel like there just aren't any.

Is there a reason for this (e.g. they just don't give the players enough incentive?)? For the record, half of my bag is Discraft and I really like their product, but I was just curious why this is.

It's simply their current business strategy. If they're happy with the results, they'll keep it up.

It makes sense what they are doing too. Why waste money tryin to sign the 2nd best guy. Sign the future mcbeths. They already have the ultimate market cornered for years. When disc golf gets to a point of profit where it matters to have the name everywhere, im sure they will jump in.

They're still sponsoring big events which is cool --and I really like their ESP plastic, really grippy stuff.

Discraft puts their attention towards their products rather than their pro teams. And it shows, if you ask me. Prioritizing marketing over product quality is a risky move. Just ask Prodigy hahahaha.

Uh oh, now we gotta choose between Nate and MJ.

Hmm...

I met Elaine King at the Canadian Nationals last year. Classy indeed.

Discraft is to disc golf what companies like Rome or Never Summer are to snowboarding. Just a quality product that speaks for itself. If you only care about hype, you end up with a company like Burton, selling inferior products at an over-inflated price point. But hey, they have a siiiiiiiiick pro team...

Their reputation of quality and consistency is what sells Discraft products. Having more top players wouldn't hurt but probably isn't necessary. MVP/Axiom seems to be selling well without a pro squad. I starting checking out their molds because of Mike C YouTube videos.

Last edited:
Their reputation of quality and consistency is what sells Discraft products. Having more top players wouldn't hurt but probably isn't necessary. MVP/Axiom seems to be selling well without a pro squad.

I think having more big name pros throwing and making video coverage with top cards in tournaments would only help to promote and sell more discs.

I think having more big name pros throwing and making video coverage with top cards in tournaments would only help to promote and sell more discs.

The problem lies in the fact that most pros (dunno if this is the case in disc golf, but it is in just about every other sport) are using custom shop equipment that has been made to look like the conventional models availible to everyday people... And they price the conventional models up accordingly. After all, if *insert pro name here* is using it, it must be good...

It's almost impossible to quantify that.....would they sell enough extra discs to cover the cost associated with sponsoring said player? There are only maybe 20k disc golfers who care at all what a pro does.....

And I'm not enough? Haha

Well now I just feel bad...:wall:

haha but actually, I was mostly asking because like someone else said, between MJ, Doss, and Elaine, Discraft is doing very very well, so I was just curious why there weren't more. That's a great point about the am players though, get the young guys with promise and let the product and scores do the talking ;)

To clarify, I wasn't saying or implying anything negative about Discraft as a company; the Buzzz was the disc that got me into the sport and still has a place in my bag (and always will) among some other molds. I was just curious about their recruiting strategies.

Last edited:
The problem lies in the fact that most pros (dunno if this is the case in disc golf, but it is in just about every other sport) are using custom shop equipment that has been made to look like the conventional models availible to everyday people... And they price the conventional models up accordingly. After all, if *insert pro name here* is using it, it must be good...

I don't even know if that's possible since every disc has to be approved by the pdga and publicly posted.