• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discrap!?

Oh there is room for a nice nuke, flash, or rogue. In my truck I have an older really nicely worn 169 flat mega pearly Z surge that started off beefy but it's quite worn now so it turns a bit on a fast shot. Obv it is quite a bit faster than my avenger and quite a bit slower than my nuke and doesn't fade out as quickly at the end as the nuke. I just don't have this amazing disc in my bag right now because I never throw it. I almost always pipe a nuke or avenger down the line instead for whatever reason...it just doesn't feel the love.

So the XS was less stable than I imagined, similar to an Xpress but a more stable. Less stable than my XL though. I wish the Z Cyclones, Cyclone 2, X-clone, X2, Xtra, and Xtremes were still standard production!

Did they quit making Z Cyclones? I think ESP Cyclones are still produced.
I picked up a rainbow X2 from MSt that is a lot of fun. I only gave it a few rips, but it went a good 320' and had some late fade. I guess kind of Stalker-ish flight new. I've been saving it for wet/winter rounds. That older plastic feels great, but it beats in quickly.

^^^No more ESP cyclones. DC only makes them in X plastic now, which is a real bummer if you like the cyclone. This was the reason that I stopped throwing them, I don't like X plastic.

Also, if you have a Discraft bag and no Comet, you should be ashamed. :/

For that more stable than the XL, try a Tracker. They throw straight with a nice forward fade.

The tsunami reminded me very much of my overstable avengers, in fact they were nearly identical, so obv this disc would work for me.

For that more stable than the XL, try a Tracker. They throw straight with a nice forward fade.

The Proline Tsunami is overlooked way too much. I first fell in love with a lighter one, which are straighter new, but they all season into lasers. They take all the power I can give them with minimal turn if any, and they finish with a predictable late fade. Excellent wind discs, too. The D-line Tsunamis straighten out after just a few pulls, but the Prolines will take 50+ throws to really begin to find their sweet spot. I use them for the 320'-350' range. I usually throw Hurricanes outside of that, but I can push them out to 380' for long tunnel drives.

My main bag preferences have changed in the last week since I posted my main bag and obviously I'm even happier with it now! This year I played my tough home course 95% or more of the time and I am quite dialed into it obviously. Well this last week I got to play over a dozen rounds all at a few other courses within an hour of me where I was able to play with a lot of great players and mess around with the 21 other discs I'm familiar with that sit in my truck. The courses were overall shorter and more open, and a few of the days were quite windy and it really changed my perspective and preferences for my go to discs. So here is how my preferences have changed

3 D Focus. The Challengers are actually in the trade stack now lol. I love Challengers obviously but my buddy gave me a beat up Focus and I somehow love it even more! It just feels a tiny bit better to me so I bought two fresh ones to see how overstable they are when new and they are plenty overtstable!

D Magnet. Still my fav, still throw it a ton.

2 Z Meteors. Still throw these a ton.

Z Buzzz. I stashed my oldschool one in my truck because I just never throw it. My main Buzzz and Meteor get thrown very often and frankly I just don't want this beat Buzzz in my bag.

Z Wasp. Still throw this a ton.

ESP Zone. This is a straight up midrange to me, just a -hair- slower than a Buzzz in my experience. I've had this disc forever, thrown it thousands of times. It started off as a gross meathook and almost as skippy as my drone (which is quite fast for a midrange). Now it is quite worn so it's just nicely overstable. I use this for some easy button short drives and ups most times when I just feel more comfy throwing it than my focus, buzzz, or wasp. It may seem unnecessary to a minimalist of some kind but I'm not a super minimalist obviously and this is a super great disc for me.

Z Drone. Still lug this around, it's a super good disc.

Z Tracker. This is a little faster than an XL and I've thrown it a lot. It started off straight but now it is great for less stable shots than my XL. I really prefer this over my AvengerSS for most turnover shots now. It is a bit slower and less understable than my particular AvengerSS.

Z XL. Still throw this a ton.

Z Stalker. Just a hair slower than my XL...but not really lol. These fly faster than the common misconception "between a mid and fairway". These guys are fairways. This flies nice and straight for me and won't turn over which has really done work for me. My XL is better for even straighter shots with some turn.

Z Tracker. My second tracker is overstable. Not quite pred overstable, and not quite pred fast. It can handle any headwind and go about 350 max, it doesn't like to fly too far, yet it doesn't knife like my pred which is nice. I've found that I really prefer to throw this over my pred and overstable avenger for most backhands, even in strong winds. It also works well for tough short flex forehands in the trees that I don't want to flex back as quickly as my pred. I stashed my two avengers in the truck in favor of some these fairways after I played these shorter courses where they really shined.

As you can tell I don't mind one bit that I have a Stalker, XL, and 2 Trackers instead of 4 of one mold. Maybe someday I'll have 3-4 trackers instead but honestly I just don't care.

Z AvengerSS. Still my rare long roller disc and rarely some turnovers.

Z Predator. Still throw this a ton.

Z Surge. Stuck my favorite old worn long driver in the bag, one of my very first discs. A bit slower than my hurricane, and just the easy button for long straight, even in the tightest woods as I found out lol.

Sp Hurricane. This will take forever to wear in (I've worn in a couple) even though I threw it quite a lot this week but when I eventually do I'm going to replace it with a Force for giggles. They're ridiculously similar. If I find a nuke with this stability, even better!

Big Z Nuke, Z Nuke. Still definitely my longest and second longest discs and I throw them super often on the longest and more open holes for hyzers and bombs without too much nasty wind. Stashed the Ti because I just throw the preferably less overstable hurricane 95% of the time instead. The Ti one is extra overstable but it is in the truck in case I change my mind.

Champ Groove. My other favorite disc! My best friend and amazing 975+ rated frolfer gave this to me. It started off overstable but I removed the considerable flashing and it bombs as far as any 175 gram disc. I seriously do not understand even a little of the considerable hate, so I used to take it from the truck and show people how stupid they are thinking. Now it is in the bag full time to bomb in PDGA tournaments past people's ****ty hateful star destroyers and the like.

In my "not currently in the bag" stash: Nasssty Z NukeOS, the Ti Nuke, a fresh overstable Z Nuke twin because I got a deal on the two and they're awesome looking with rainbow stamps, 2 nicely understable worn in Z Nukes, 4 sweet Z Cranks that crush, an SP FLX Hurricane that is like the Ti nuke but will not skip at all, a leftover worn SP Hurricane (traded away a ton of awesome proline hurricanes which I preferred before Nukes), a fresh Z Pred from my club, a worn Z Pred, my two awesome Z Avengers, a super awesome Big Z Mantis, a fresh Z XL, 2 quite overstable Cryztal Stalkers which will replace my overstable Tracker, and my money super old worn in Z Buzzz which I just never throw.

My favorites in the Discraft lineup is the Stalker and the Comet. They are the most used molds in my bag.

I do like the bag. I would find myself having a blast throwing your bag. :thmbup:

I have slowly moved to an almost complete discraft bag for the same reasons. The only other brand I carry are gateway putters (wizards) but innova has gone out. Shamefully I sold my stalker and want to buy another ASAP. I have trouble with ultra-long drivers so the fastest thing I have is the avenger and avenger ss.

As for mids I have wasp, buzzz, comet, and meteor. This covers most everything of what I need. Have you checked out the comet? I don't think it could ever replaced the buzzz for me, personally, but I love it for short holes and technical shots. Also if you are in a pinch and can't get a good throw, the comet+a little flick of the wrist and it glides forever.

Do you ever dabble in the dark arts of DGA?

I carry no discraft (nothing against them, just never found a disc that stayed in the bag very long, except a glo nuke in the glo bag).....but I do carry a DGA SP Line Rogue. Great disc for throwing, but especially great for rolling.

Just to talk about Discraft really, it just doesn't get the love that Innova does. At least in most parts of the world. One or two years ago I wouldn't have dreamed of carrying only Discraft discs because of all the bad things I heard about them and their unpopularity.

When I first started playing (2004), everybody threw Innova and that is all I knew for many years. About five years ago I decided to give a Buzzz a try and since then I've tested out a lot of Discraft. The ones that I've used and parted ways with have been the Buzzz, Hornet, Wasp, Drone, Predator, Force, Nuke, BuzzzOS and Flash. I currently use 4 Discraft molds and they are crucial to my game. The only brand loyalty I have is towards US based companies. No trilogy basically. 'Murica! My only beef with Discraft currently is that they don't make the Banger in more plastics. I would like to have one in a KC Pro type plastic or ESP.

Last edited:
Right now, the only Discraft mold I bag is a FLX Drone. I have a Surge and an XL that I use occasionally. I used to be a big Buzzz fan, but gave up on them because of inconsistency, my last Buzzz was a meat hook, like Drone meat hook. I switched to Roc's and have been very happy since.

There are a lot of Discraft discs that I'd love to try out, but they're either not available in the plastic I prefer, or simply not well stocked in the local brick & mortar stores. I wish Discraft would make more of their molds in ESP, I can't get a good grip on Z plastic.

So the XS was less stable than I imagined, similar to an Xpress but a more stable. Less stable than my XL though. I wish the Z Cyclones, Cyclone 2, X-clone, X2, Xtra, and Xtremes were still standard production!

An X-Clone Z and an ESP Cyclone would make me a happy man...
Was a sad day when my faithful X-Clone quit coming back on the fade - I turn it over and it simply keeps going... one too many shots to the wing, and I believe that a Z mold would help that greatly.

An X-Clone Z and an ESP Cyclone would make me a happy man...
Was a sad day when my faithful X-Clone quit coming back on the fade - I turn it over and it simply keeps going... one too many shots to the wing, and I believe that a Z mold would help that greatly.

I got a cheap used X-Clone Terminator on ebay that's just like that. The plastic feels great, but it's like a Valk or Sidewinder when I was hoping for at least Eagle stability. I would imagine that rim design would have plastic limitations, tho. I'd also be concerned about quicker wear even in Z.

If you're a Cyclone fan, check out Marshall Street. They have a few ESP Cyclones, but nothing over 169g. They also have several older runs.

From a company standpoint that should make it the best selling disc of all-time. Part of the greatness is the design of the disc but the tradeoff is obviously the durability. Discs wearing out sends the hard-core clone fans out for more fresh plastic...

For the record I played my vintage X-Clone for more than a decade when I realized exactly how fragile it was. Of course I was on my 2nd/3rd before getting to that point of understanding what the heck was happening to my game.

The other question I would have regarding the X-Clone is whether that wing design would work as an overmold ala the Gyro of an MVP/Axiom. I havent really seen a Driver styled overmold from Innova.

Last edited:
I has a fair share o' DC in me bag:
APX
FLX Challenger
X-Stratus
Z Nebula
FLX ESP 2008 World's Drone (extra beefy)
BigZ Mantis
Z Predator

Any of the following could work their way into my line up just for fun/change of pace:
X Comet
ESP Buzzz
2014 Ace Race Heat
2013 Ace Race Ti not really a Mantis
2012 Ace Race Zombee
ESP Surge

Lost my 150 Z Storm... loved that sumbiatch :(

The other question I would have regarding the X-Clone is whether that wing design would work as an overmold ala the Gyro of an MVP/Axiom. I havent really seen a Driver styled overmold from Innova.

This is crazy. I actually had that same X-clone overmold thought last night. I don't know enough about it, but it seems like the only way to get consistency and durability out of that rim shape in premium plastic.

The only DC discs in my bag are: Z Buzzz SS 170, Z Buzzz 168, Z Buzzz 177, Z Buzzz OS 175. But to be honest, I could play any course with those 4 discs and be 90% effective as my entire bag. hmmm....

The only DC discs in my bag are: Z Buzzz SS 170, Z Buzzz 168, Z Buzzz 177, Z Buzzz OS 175. But to be honest, I could play any course with those 4 discs and be 90% effective as my entire bag. hmmm....

My kinda bag, maybe it's just an old guy thing.

Pretty sweet bag. I like discraft. Not a fan of their D plastic though. Or that magnet. :p

Other than the magnet and the tsunami that would probably be the exact bag I'd use if I was going all discraft. Probably Focus instead of challenger I used the focus before going with the Wizard but the Focus was the best DC putter for me.

DC makes awesome mids I'd have that same lineup and did for a few years.

Always had an XL and Avenger SS.

Never quite fell in love with any Nuke but I guess they are starting to branch out now in that area.

Love me some wasps. With all the clutter in my bag it has been the constant. Its the one mold I actually cycle. I never really clicked with the buzz but one day I picked up a friends beat up wasp and threw it. I was like "wow is what was that?"(it had a tourney stamp), he said "a beat up wasp I use it more or less like a buzz." They have been my go to midrange ever since. Its been really windy around here lately so I picked up a buzzOS and have been really liking it so far. A great FH mid.