• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Discs that fade (really) quick?

I throw a max weight Opto Spark for my "crazy overstable" mid. Feels good with power grip or powered down with a fan grip. Great wind fighter too.

Its worth keeping in mind that there is a diminishing utility in how OS you want a disc, if your goal from OS discs is to go hard left. At a certain point, retarded OS discs won't even go very far left, because the leading edge drops down so fast and hard that its basically a automatic spike hyzer. As an example, Will S actually uses his BEAT H1 for large right to left lateral movement, and his fresh H1 only really moves a few feet from the spot he releases it on.

It's your form. Seriously.

But feel free to go get a Stiletto or Solace or Nuke OS or something crazy.

This was my thought as well. It reminds me of the Dave Feldburg quote:

#1 Take the time to completely understand how a disc flies.

Sometimes, they expect the disc to do something it's not even capable of doing. For example, a less stable disc will go more left off the center line than a overstable disc for a right handed backhand thrower. This is because an understable disc, thrown properly with hyzer, is trying to go forward and flatten up. If it's holding hyzer angle it will continue to flatten as it slows down. It will continue to go more forward and left than an overstable disc. When an overstable disc runs out of speed, it will dive to the left.

I remember the moment I learned the difference between throwing a hyzer or a stall. Climo could make a Teebird look like a Firebird in the air with his clean hyzer release. While I was learning on the same holes, my Firebird would react like his Teebird. I realized I was relying on the stability of the disc to do the work against the wind instead of my arm and wrist. Just by understanding the aerodynamics, I was sure my Firebird would fight harder than a Teebird once I exposed its nose to the wind. But, not exposing the nose on any average stability driver, like Climo, is a better choice. As a beginner, it was hard for me to fathom this concept.

Here is the link for the complete article:
http://davefeldberg.golf/five-of-the-best-tips-i-can-give/

Last edited:
It's your form. Seriously.

But feel free to go get a Stiletto or Solace or Nuke OS or something crazy.

I am guessing this as well...

You guys are terrifying me that there's something more OS than the X1. That thing is angry. I bet I could left hand throw a putter as far as I can backhand the X1.

*shrug*

of course it's his form, but that's not what he asked. 120 foot flex shots have their uses sometimes even for us clean throwers.

The faster the disc, the quicker it enters LSS (always a harder fade than HSS). Nuke OS is what I use. Stiletto, Ape, etc. will all work. For its speed, though, Flick is king.

I don't care how OS your mid is, if my driver is as aerodynamically stable, it will fade quicker.

Try these;

Opto Stiletto
Metal Flake Firebird(flat)
Moab
Champ Viper
Lucid Justice

If one of those doesn't do it I don't know what to tell you.

My proto X1s are beefier than the H1s I threw. The Justice, though a mid, is more OS than both. Some early reports say the Hyzerbomb MOAB (6 speed large diameter) is just as ridiculous.

lol, too much! I'm having a hard time picturing it.

i'm afraid i don't understand. :confused:

there are several discs out there that will fade almost directly out of the hand even for the biggest throwers - i was playing last year with alex geisinger from prodigy and he throws farther than most professionals. he told me he hated the h1 it was so overstable. maybe he's changed his mind now. so if the OP is saying he is having issues with a flick not fading ASAP out of the hand, it's his form.

however, his actual question pertaining to a very specific shot was definitely different. that's one shot where the most OS faster discs are very useful.

The faster the disc, the quicker it enters LSS (always a harder fade than HSS). Nuke OS is what I use. Stiletto, Ape, etc. will all work. For its speed, though, Flick is king.

I don't care how OS your mid is, if my driver is as aerodynamically stable, it will fade quicker.

Well apparently there is no driver that is as "aerodynamically stable," because nothing begins fading as hard and early as the Justice.

i'm afraid i don't understand. :confused:

there are several discs out there that will fade almost directly out of the hand even for the biggest throwers - i was playing last year with alex geisinger from prodigy and he throws farther than most professionals. he told me he hated the h1 it was so overstable. maybe he's changed his mind now. so if the OP is saying he is having issues with a flick not fading ASAP out of the hand, it's his form.

however, his actual question pertaining to a very specific shot was definitely different. that's one shot where the most OS faster discs are very useful.

The "of course it's his form" part made me laugh, that's all.

No, I agree. If you want an almost immediate hard fade, you want the most overstable meathook that exists.

Latest posts