• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs that have been returned that you never expected to see again

Twice I have had people call me to tell me they found my lost disc at a course I have never played. I got the discs back a bit more beat up then when I lost them.

I got a call from Kentucky about a disc I lost at Fontana Dam (NC).

But by far the most surprising was the Cyclone I got when I joined the PDGA (ca. 1997). I lost it in 2003 or earlier. About 2 years ago some guys from Charleston, SC brought it to me, among some discs they'd dredged out of a pond. (That's 130 miles away, though I have played tournaments there). A testament to karma, and sharpies.

It still flies, though I have to say that Cyclones aren't exactly the cutting-edge disc they might have been in 1997.

When I was first starting at disc golf, I lost a Champ Valk on 18 at Idlewild. No ink of any kind. Probably nine months later, I discovered our local site/forum and was looking at the lost and found section. Someone had posted they found a disc on 18. I posted my Valk's details, and it wound up being the disc. JP Mayer was the name of the returner. He's the reason why I try to post every disc I find, ink or not.

I've had so many returned that I've lost count. One thing I've learned is to make friends with everyone out at the disc golf course, and make sure you return as many discs as you can.

Karma always pays off.

I play a small but very bushy course that is really easy to lose discs on. My league also plays almost exclusively there. So I've probably returned 20 discs to people I've already had in my cell phone!

I returned a disc to a guy a couple week ago after a month of him texting me about picking it up. Went out that round and pulled an extra disc out when I grabbed my floating #2 driver I just threw in off at The Valley. Pretty nice shape - no ink gummy feeling Champion Boss. Some championship on it can't remember who but I can actually whip that Boss 300 feet exactly where I want it on a hyzer. Not going to be my max d driver but damn accurate if you ask me.

So sometimes karma works even though I didn't get a single disc returned to me this year.

Weirdly coincidental, a disc golf acquaintance called and informed me that he has my M4 I left behind playing doubles a month or so ago.

Lost my trusty Northman about two years ago at one course. Got a call about a month ago from a guy who pulled it out of the pond of another course thirty miles away! Awesome! Some guy must have picked it up and been playing with it for two years and lost it in the pond at this other course. I gave the guy that found it some cash for getting it back to me...it was sweet!

On a side note, I've been putting my wife's name on my discs...get called back nearly every time

I've sold inked discs on eBay and received phone calls from California and Minnesota...I'm in North Carolina.

I told them they just gained a new disc. The people who bought those never put their ink on it...their loss!

Had a call from some guy..."Hey, found your disc"....click, DB! I've thought this guy will get his, one day.

I showed my first Ace Disc to someone at my work, then left it on top of my car and drove off. The building janitor brought it to me like a week later saying he saw my name on it in the trash, just before he put it in the dumpster.

This close to my ace disc being in the trash. It's been on my wall ever since, no more risk of losing it.

The blizzard boss.

I had a blizzard boss the last round I played last year and I threw it and got it stuck on a roof off of the tees. The next day it was really windy and I went to see if it fell off of the roof. well I looked for about an hour and couldn't find the damn thing! Lone behold at the beginning of this season I got a call saying a guy found it. got it back and still use it!

I had a blizzard boss the last round I played last year and I threw it and got it stuck on a roof off of the tees. The next day it was really windy and I went to see if it fell off of the roof. well I looked for about an hour and couldn't find the damn thing! Lone behold at the beginning of this season I got a call saying a guy found it. got it back and still use it!

*Lo and behold

EDIT: Not trying to be a grammar nazi, this is just one of those things you often here people say but may have never seen it actually written down. Similar to 'for all intents and purposes'.

I consider any disc that makes it back to me a surprise. I do put info on them, but if I don't have it in my bag at the end of the round, then I consider it gone for good.

I put my girlfriends name on discs to try and increase the amount of call backs i get "Damn Claire throws Destroyers i better call this chick"

I have no stories to add because out of 6-7 discs I've lost over 3+ years, I've yet to have a single call back. Losing my Illusion on my birthday last year stung the most, and I gave up after an hour long search.

a test material River that I lost in the drink showed up in the lost and found bin nearly a year after I lost it... looking pristine and flying like an angel. Too bad that plastic has no lifespan.

Latest posts