• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disk cuts hard left

tpysher007

I have having trouble with 2 of my disks. Every time I throw my 2 distance drivers as soon as I release them the quickly turn left and cut straight down. Is there any way I can work on this? Any other disk I throw they always fly flat and straight how they are suppose to go.

I Havent really measured. I would say approx. 150 to 200 feet

Ok, well there you have it. The Boss is 13 5 -1 3, that means that is flys 5.-1.3 at 13 speed.
You have to trow it faster to get the intended flight out of it, if you throw it 400ft it will fly closer to the numbers.
I would suggest sticking to slower/less stable drivers until you gain more distance, that is the advice i give to all newer players. A Boss wont give you extra distance until you have the arm for it, it might be good for situations where you need your disc to hook hard left, other than that, stick to slower drivers.

Ok, well there you have it. The Boss is 13 5 -1 3, that means that is flys 5.-1.3 at 13 speed.
You have to trow it faster to get the intended flight out of it, if you throw it 400ft it will fly closer to the numbers.
I would suggest sticking to slower/less stable drivers until you gain more distance, that is the advice i give to all newer players. A Boss wont give you extra distance until you have the arm for it, it might be good for situations where you need your disc to hook hard left, other than that, stick to slower drivers.

Ok thank you that helps alot

There are people who have been playing for years who have no business throwing a Boss. Faster discs are better for players who have fast arm speeds and snap. If you're just starting out, go down a lot in speeds, maybe try Leopards and see how they fly for you. What other discs are you throwing that go straight?

Place those two disc in the closet and break them out in about 3 years. You will be ready for them around that time.

Disc speed != distance (the mistake all newer players make - welcome to the club!)

Try a Pro Leopard for a driver. Or a Diamond. Or a Relay. Or a QJLS. Or a Cheetah.

Last edited:
Place those two disc in the closet and break them out in about 3 years. You will be ready for them around that time.
Try not to zap the fun out of the game for him... I'd say next year he should try again. See how they float for him. OP: You just need to know that no one can handle those discs right away, and that it takes some learning. Even if you keep them in your bag and throw them every once in a while (that's what I did and it was fun!) just know that it may not be the right disc just because it's the "fastest". You might be able to throw a much more successful shot with a mid or a putter or a fairway driver. For now, don't pay too much attention to flight numbers because they may not be accurate.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

3 years?! Much less than that depending how frequently he will get out and play.

Get a Teebird or TL, Discraft Buzzz, and a putter that feels comfortable :hfive:

I have having trouble with 2 of my disks. Every time I throw my 2 distance drivers as soon as I release them the quickly turn left and cut straight down. Is there any way I can work on this? Any other disk I throw they always fly flat and straight how they are suppose to go.

I find that the 5.25 floppy ones are more understable than 3.5 hard ones LOL ;)

I find that the 5.25 floppy ones are more understable than 3.5 hard ones LOL ;)
There's an entire generation with no frame of reference with which to comprehend this statement.

Seriously though, is it really necessary to format Champ and Z discs before you use them?
I thought premium discs came pre-formatted from the manufacturer. :confused:

It seems to me that the speed vs distance thing may not be clear enough. Throwing hard doesn't mean distance, using a throw that imparts lots of spin gets the most distance out of any disc. Speed, in general, means rim width. Innova sticks by this pretty well. A speed 14 disc has a 24 mm rim, 13 has a 23 mm rim. As I understand it (my understanding is a leap) all discs could fly the same distance if it weren't for speed. The faster the disc travels, defined by its structure, the farther it can go. That is, all discs thrown at the same angle, with the same force, and same spin stay in the air the same time. A faster disc goes faster and therefore covers more ground. The problem is that high speed discs require very good form to fly, they are unforgiving if they are not spun adequately. That makes it hard to learn the game. On the other hand, the technique needed to throw a slower disc "well" translate directly to faster speed discs.

Latest posts