• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance????

Only a small observation here, but what of people whose ranges fall between two categories? My range falls between 380-410.

I think better ranges to consider for study would be:

Under 200
200-250
251-300
301-350
351-450
451+

As these numbers are being thrown around, it appears most players, tournament or not, fall in the 250-350 range, and thus for greater analysis would be better served to break those ranges even further down.

There is too much you could falsely assume by a category where you are lumping in a person who can throw 310 versus a player who can throw 390, especially if you also have to run with the assumption that most holes on established courses where you need a distance driver likely average out around 320 or so feet.

smarkquart, i am in the 350-400 ish. it is hard to say what most players throw. I just did field throws last night and average a 367. I know that i can throw farther but in 34 degree whether and some wind i know that i lost a lot of distance.

What world did these numbers come from?

Exactly what I was wondering. I think many more people are 350-400 than than previously despite having no evidence and many more are 300-350. There is a huge influx of younger players now that are strong but haven't got the technique yet.

Distance is highly dependent of geography. 400+ throwers are commonplace in SoCal, Arizona, and Vegas.

I get my drivers speeds 7-12 260' -360, and the slower drivers are in the shallow end. On a hs football field 10 speed or above are in the end zone and my 12 speed is near and at the goal post . I would say I've seen about three or four people throw a true 450. Never seen anyone throw 500, and I estimate 85% are under 300. 12% are at 300-400'. My max drive was 450' flat with a tailwind. I'd like to get to 400 max, but my form needs some work to get that far on flat ground.. I think a majority of rec players are in my boat.

On a similar note the lack of standard for measuring and labeling hole lengths is not helping people's games improve, if they go to one course and can hit 350 and go to another course and can't make it to 280. I've seen a hole labeled 250 and it was actually 155'. It's hard to progress your game when the course tee signs are playing head games with your disc choices.

"Disc Golf Players:
Persons who have played disc golf: 8-12 million
Regular players: ~500,000
PDGA members (since 1976): 51,100" -- From the PDGA site.

My guess would be that less than 15% can throw over 275' consistently.

"Disc Golf Players:

WOOO HOOOO i am in the top 85%. :D lol i might be in the top 90% throwing avareage 360 feet. :clap:

As a 53 year-old player who has worked hard to get my maximum golf distance up from 250' to 300', I am mighty pleased to see this latest breakdown. I was bummed when the lowest category was "300 feet or less". I was "300 feet or less" the day I started!!

Last edited:
This thread has taken the whole notion of "internet distance" and shaken it all about.

I'm not sure why we again we are equating open field distance with skill. I know lots of people who can throw 400'+ when there's no obstacles in the way and the final destination of the disc is of no consequence. That's a helluva lot different than someone who can throw that far on a golf line down a tree lined fairway.

The op was just asking in general, what percentage can throw x far. It mentioned nothing about open field or wooded course, or internet distance. I think you were the first one to mention that.
It was just a rough survey. I could be wrong though.

"Disc Golf Players:

I asked Paul McBeth about this on the old Ask Paul McBeth thread. He said he estimated that 70% of disc golfers were under the 300' mark. Now, he was just estimating, but I think he has a pretty good idea. Of course, that number would change drastically if you sampled just DGCR users and people who play tournaments. There's a bunch of rec/int people out there who have never used this site or competed yet.

The op was just asking in general, what percentage can throw x far. It mentioned nothing about open field or wooded course, or internet distance. I think you were the first one to mention that.
It was just a rough survey. I could be wrong though.

that is what i was asking. just a general what is the percent that can reach this far. :thmbup:

People who live in areas with long courses tend to have long arms.

Here in DFW the majority of advanced/open players I play with are 350-425.

The numbers were lower when I lived in an area with shorter/more technical courses.

No way 20% of all disc golfers throw more than 400 ft. Perhaps 30% of pros with ratings over 970 which might be around 1% of all players.

Well i've only done one sanctioned event so far, but im not rated 970 and can definitely throw 400+

It's kind of funny looking back a couple of years.
The people I thought could throw really far, are now just throwing a little farther than me, and I don't think about their distance at all. (Not like I used to anyway)

If you want to see what the average disc golfer looks like, go to Huntington beach central park on a saturday. Random people from all sorts of demographics / backgrounds throwing 13 speeds less than 100 feet, i'd say that's atleast 70% of the people who play disc golf

If you want to see what the average disc golfer looks like, go to Huntington beach central park on a saturday. Random people from all sorts of demographics / backgrounds throwing 13 speeds less than 100 feet, i'd say that's atleast 70% of the people who play disc golf

I agree. Even at la mirada there are About a quarter that are playing with no idea of rules, just having fun throwing frisbees.

Latest posts