• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do I need straps?

Do I need straps?

• Total voters
Given the size of your sack :)clap:) I'd be sporting some straps. They're simply unbeatable when your doing some hiking along the course with a large bag. You get balanced weight across your back. I can sling my Quads over one shoulder quite comfortably as well. Yes.

took some entry level innova straps for some script I won at my first tourney (maybe 24.99?), and I will never go back to single strap again.. Only takes a moment longer to sling it on, and it feels much much better with weight distributed vs. bearing it on one side.. I had a bad habit of carrying the single strap w/ my throwing shoulder (RHBH). I can definitely feel the difference after a long day of golf.

If you're carrying any more than about 10 discs, the straps are a huge help. Your bag suddenly weighs alot less (at least according to how you're feeling it).

Iv never taken my bike to play,I bring too much junk. GAL of water,extra socks,shirt,back ups,extra putters.

I only do it at one course because it's all flat and I ride across town to get there, I really like the 30 minute ride and on the way home I get to ride up the dreaded Michigan hill. I weigh less in the summer. Some guys ride there and park their bikes but they are steel rimmed huffy bikes . I can play the course in 20 minutes on the bike, it's easily an hour on foot.

If you're able to stay fresh on long disc days with the single strap, I wouldn't worry about quads. They really made a difference for me. I bought mine almost immediately after buying a Competition since it almost doubled the amount of discs I carried. I was exhausted before finishing one round (usually threw two or three rounds a day at that point). Using quads kept me as fresh as my pre-Comp days. I actually put them on my Squirrel Monkey because I prefer them over the single strap. Without water, I can't even feel it with 11 discs. I've also found it's easier to carry it like a bag and single strap with quads.

Last edited:
i have a bad back- they are a must for me.

Yeah, if you carry a bunch of discs over the same shoulder all the time, you will eventually f up your back. An injured/ bad back is hands down the single worst nagging "injury" you can have. I've suffered from a bad back on and off my whole life and when it hurts, it ruins everything, including baby making practice. So save your back, get some quads.

everyone is talking about price and what not, well about 4 years ago i bought a cheap ball golf bag from walmart, for about 25 bucks and it came with backpack style straps, when i bought my fade tourney bag, i was thinking the same question, but then i thought about my old ball golf bag, so i when and took it off and compared it to a friends innova straps and these ARE NICER THAN INNOVAS! i was stunned, so i went back to walmart bought 4 carabiners for 3.98, and had myself some nice quads, and yes they save my back/shoulders a lot of grief i recomend to anyone

i vote yes. it keeps your hands free of carrying discs and grasping therefore, it will keep your hands 'rested' and ready to throw. sounds petty but in a tourney-it matters.

you can always use the straps as a shoulder strap, but when you are "hiking" you can throw the straps on

I say yes, here's why: most of the time, most people throw the bag over the same shoulder of the arm with which they throw. Regardless of how many discs you have, that's additional fatigue on your throwing arm. Straps evenly distribute the weight of your discs across both shoulders, reducing the impact on your throwing arm.

This is the reason why I got my straps (and a stool). I beleve they make a huge difference when it comes to those long casual days or an event.

The more you play, carry and age the more you need straps. Plus there is no sense risking developing a back or shoulder problem just to save a few bucks, or be a rebel. Buy some straps. They are especially great on hilly courses. Or get a backpack style bag. IMO.