• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do 'soft' plastic putters catch chains better?

Is softer better for catching chains?

• Yes

Votes: 83 47.4%
  • No

Votes: 39 22.3%
  • Same

Votes: 41 23.4%
  • Why do you post so many polls

Votes: 12 6.9%

• Total voters
I don't notice more inconsistency of release with Blowflies than with other putters. As much as it pains me to say it, I struggle more with that when putting Polecats than anything else, which has left them as an approach disc for me. Another reason why I like putting with Blowflies is the grip is rarely a problem, so few slips, and that also helps get good spin on a shorter, softer throw.

I think that the only putters I've ever had someone ask me about, or exclaim about, after a throw are Blowflies.

I wasn't very clear in my first post - there's 2 issues nested in this thread.

1. Which type of putter can actually be proven to catch more effectively.
2. Which type of putter has the individual player learned to be more effective with.

I have found a soft putter tends to be more likely to go in if the putt hits to the left or right side of the chains. They kinda hit those chains and flop in. also it stays put better if you miss. I have found that stiffer putters are more likely to go in if you hit the rim of the basket. The soft ones seem to hit the rim deform and flop out where has stiffer ones seem to bounce in. I also totally get why people have grip issues with softer putters. I personally don't have that issue with putting but I have run into issues with throwing soft discs (both the Woodchuck, Soft VP and Walrus). I had a lot of grip locking issues when driving with those discs.

I'd say it is a pretty mixed bag of pros and cons.

Also mentioning pros putting with soft putters, what does Sexton putt with? Didn't he putt with Omega Supersofts for a long time?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I have found a soft putter tends to be more likely to go in if the putt hits to the left or right side of the chains. They kinda hit those chains and flop in. also it stays put better if you miss. I have found that stiffer putters are more likely to go in if you hit the rim of the basket. The soft ones seem to hit the rim deform and flop out where has stiffer ones seem to bounce in. I also totally get why people have grip issues with softer putters. I personally don't have that issue with putting but I have run into issues with throwing soft discs (both the Woodchuck, Soft VP and Walrus). I had a lot of grip locking issues when driving with those discs.

I'd say it is a pretty mixed bag of pros and cons.

Also mentioning pros putting with soft putters, what does Sexton putt with? Didn't he putt with Omega Supersofts for a long time?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
I think Sexton puts with dP2s

I wasn't very clear in my first post - there's 2 issues nested in this thread.

1. Which type of putter can actually be proven to catch more effectively.
2. Which type of putter has the individual player learned to be more effective with.
Agreed, but what most of us are saying is:
Issue 1 isn't nearly as important as Issue 2.

Our collective observational evidence indicates differences in stiffness/softness are somewhere between negligible and marginal, and are FAR outweighed by choosing whichever putter, plastic, weight, etc, you most consistently hit the sweet spot with.

Hence, Issue 1 should be considered a non-issue.
If the goal is to make more putts, the focus (no pun-intended) should be on what feels/works best for you (i.e. Issue 2).

Another way to think of this: am I looking for a putter that might make my mistake putts stick or am I really looking for a putter that helps me avoid mistake putts to begin with? Those are 2 different putters for me....not even close.

For putts with moderate spin soft putters will grip and stick on pro side putts. Conversely they will stick and deflect out the weak side.

I miss weak side very often so I have found firm putters to be a better choice. Where soft putters deflect out the firm ones slide down and in.

Yeah, they usually do but putters with a soft plate always come out of my hand funky. Always make more putts with firm plastic like KC Pro.

All I have to add to this conversation is...most top pros putt with a stiffer/harder plastic putter. There has got to be a reason for this trend. I think it has to do with having a cleaner/more consistent release. Just compare hot weather vs cold weather. How a stiff plastic putter feels in your hand will be less of a drastic change compared to a soft putter. I also think putting style has a lot to do with this as well, that's a different topic all together.

Okay, so assuming it matters what the pros use (fairly safe assumption, I guess), how many, if any, of the pros carry and use more than one putter for putting? In other words, am I off base for using different putters depending on wind, terrain (how bad a rollaway would be), distance, etc.?

Dont the chains catch the disc? This has been bugging me ever since i read this thread title.

What weight of chains, and design catches the best though? The prodigy baskets are like steel walls of chains. Some of the mach baskets dont have many chains and you actually hit the middle pole and it kicks out your disc.

Okay, so assuming it matters what the pros use (fairly safe assumption, I guess), how many, if any, of the pros carry and use more than one putter for putting? In other words, am I off base for using different putters depending on wind, terrain (how bad a rollaway would be), distance, etc.?
From my observations, I think most top pros don't use a different putter for different situations. The only exception being really strong winds. Even then most seem to still use the same putter. If your changing your putter so you have less chance of a roll away, you already set yourself up to miss. If you switch to a Hydra (it floats) because there's water behind the basket your already telling yourself you going to miss. I've seen a few guys (Sexton used to do it) change their putter for longer putts (he used a DX Aviar P&A). Most guys don't do that though. Sexton doesn't even do that anymore. If your changing putters all the time you'll be less consistent IMHO. Get to know your putting putter & use it for everything. Learn how to use it in different situations & on different angles. You'll become confident with it. I'm not saying to use a stiff plastic putter. Use what works for you, just stick with whatever you choose.

From my observations, I think most top pros don't use a different putter for different situations. The only exception being really strong winds. Even then most seem to still use the same putter. If your changing your putter so you have less chance of a roll away, you already set yourself up to miss. If you switch to a Hydra (it floats) because there's water behind the basket your already telling yourself you going to miss. I've seen a few guys (Sexton used to do it) change their putter for longer putts (he used a DX Aviar P&A). Most guys don't do that though. Sexton doesn't even do that anymore. If your changing putters all the time you'll be less consistent IMHO. Get to know your putting putter & use it for everything. Learn how to use it in different situations & on different angles. You'll become confident with it. I'm not saying to use a stiff plastic putter. Use what works for you, just stick with whatever you choose.

More important than disc selection.

As it my putting stands now, some of my best putts are confident ones, so are most of my worst. The better ones do not outnumber the worse ones. By my reckoning, the better ones would have to outnumber the worse ones by at least 3 to 2, maybe more like 2 to 1, for it to be worth it. :-( Of course, the problem with that, you can say, is that, if I am confident, overall my putting will be better, so it will be better. <sigh> :wall:

Someone needs to get one of those " thousands of dollars to study something stupid " grants and do a scientific study of this. In my backyard. With beer, and BBQ.

Latest posts