• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do some pros prefer to hide what they are throwing?

Being a lefty, I have watched other lefties throw and have come to the conclusion that I need not copy the disc. Years ago when I just started playing pro, I would watch another lefty that I was impressed with. I learned quick that I couldn't do the same things with the same disc. There are four really good lefties in our state and we all throw a little different. However, if I see another good shot with a roc, I will try to do the same thing, if it's in my comfort zone.

It's been my understanding that the new Prodigy team can currently throw other manufacturers discs until the Prodigy line has filled out with multiple disc selections. It's interesting that all of the discs in their bags are stamped with the Prodigy logo. I have been wrong before.

I have asked top Pros in tournament rounds what they are throwing. Ill also casually mention what I am throwing when I have the box occasionally. I do this mostly when it's windy, because that's when you can figure the most out from what previous players have thrown.
I tell people, Top Pros will tell me. It's possible some people will intend to keep it to themselves, but Im too friendly to lie to.

it's part of a sponsored player's job to promote the discs they throw, that's why they are sponsored.
Actually this is why I've been wondering why they're not contracted to throw mostly or only stock stamped discs. For many people when they see a pro throw a great shot with a disc they recognize, they might go to the shop and buy one for themselves. But when they can't recognize the discs, they just forget about the disc. At least in my opinion it would be better advertisement and promotion if people easily recognized what they're throwing.

Actually this is why I've been wondering why they're not contracted to throw mostly or only stock stamped discs. For many people when they see a pro throw a great shot with a disc they recognize, they might go to the shop and buy one for themselves. But when they can't recognize the discs, they just forget about the disc. At least in my opinion it would be better advertisement and promotion if people easily recognized what they're throwing.

Here's an idea: when you see a sponsored pro throw a great shot in a competitive round, and you're curious about what disc he used, approach him after the round is over and ask him about it. Then ask if he has any of the same mold that he would sell to you. :thmbup:

i will definitely change my disc selection if i notice a card mates disc was badly affected by the wind, in a way i didn't expect from my reading the wind. I will try to judge if it was a bad throw, or truly the wind. (both by flight path and his attitude) If i'm debating between 2 discs, that can help me decide.

If it is someone who throws nothing like me, i am very unlikely to actually care what they throw. But someone who throws similar distance and flight path of me, i will. (mainly only when a big wind is involved. It is just another factor to consider when deciding which disc to throw)

I will wipe the stamps off some of my favorite discs because the stamp can mentally affect me. I had a habit of always having to hold a disc in a certain spot based on how the stamp was positioned. If I mentally realized I wasn't holding onto that spot it would **** with my head and start causing negative thoughts.

If the stamp is some what circular or a repeating pattern I don't notice the difference. If I ever stamp any of my own stuff at work I tend to stamp it like 10 times with my bobcat mini stamp to create a circular pattern. Just another trick so that the disc doesn't seem off-balance in my head

I will wipe the stamps off some of my favorite discs because the stamp can mentally affect me. I had a habit of always having to hold a disc in a certain spot based on how the stamp was positioned. If I mentally realized I wasn't holding onto that spot it would **** with my head and start causing negative thoughts.

If the stamp is some what circular or a repeating pattern I don't notice the difference. If I ever stamp any of my own stuff at work I tend to stamp it like 10 times with my bobcat mini stamp to create a circular pattern. Just another trick so that the disc doesn't seem off-balance in my head

Ha, i'm the exact opposite. Part of my pre-shot routine is to always grab the disc at the same part (about 1:30-2:00 on clock face) so the disc stamp is perfectly straight. it kind of calms me down to do that. Especially putting.

I took the stamp off my old star boss (was going to try a custom stamp) and i couldn't throw it. It was so tough to get it in the correct position with the stamp gone, it just didn't work with my slightly OCD pre-shot routine.

The PGA has a rule where the player is prohibited to ask what club his opponent just used.

The subject of advice is further developed in Rule 8-1, which states;

"During a stipulated round, a player must not:
a) give advice to anyone in the competition playing on the course other than his partner, or
b) ask for advice from anyone other than his partner or either of their caddies."

"Advice is any counsel or suggestion which could influence a player in determining his play, the choice of a club, or the method of making a stroke. Information on the Rules, distance, or matters of public information, such as the position of hazards, or the flagstick on the putting green, is not advice."

Seems like a fair rule....does disc golf have a rule like this?

I found it funny when I heard Prodigy guys were wiping off stamps of their Destroyers or whatever non-Prodigy disc they throw.. and hot stamping a Prodigy logo on it. Like really? Come on guys. I don't know if they're doing it to disguise the fact that they are still using an open bag even though Prodigy has legal drivers, mids, and putters now.. or they are THAT dedicated to Prodigy so every single disc they throw must have a Prodigy logo on it Lol

It's been my understanding that the new Prodigy team can currently throw other manufacturers discs until the Prodigy line has filled out with multiple disc selections. It's interesting that all of the discs in their bags are stamped with the Prodigy logo. I have been wrong before.

The perks of owning a stamp machine... wipe the original "wraith" stamp off the disc and put the Prodigy stamp... easy...
DSCJNKY

The PGA has a rule where the player is prohibited to ask what club his opponent just used.

The subject of advice is further developed in Rule 8-1, which states;

"During a stipulated round, a player must not:
a) give advice to anyone in the competition playing on the course other than his partner, or
b) ask for advice from anyone other than his partner or either of their caddies."

"Advice is any counsel or suggestion which could influence a player in determining his play, the choice of a club, or the method of making a stroke. Information on the Rules, distance, or matters of public information, such as the position of hazards, or the flagstick on the putting green, is not advice."

Seems like a fair rule....does disc golf have a rule like this?

Maybe it should, especially "offering advice," which is basically just trying to eff with the other guy's head when he throws a bad shot.

With MA2, club rounds, etc, I don't mind somebody asking me advice (ha, sucker!,) though it probably bothers the hyper-competitive.

Umm.. I have no Idea on this but could re-stamping a disc make it illegal

Per rule 801.02 b
A disc which has been modified after production such that its original flight characteristics have been altered is illegal, excepting wear from usage during play and the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrapes. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal.

your thoughts...

Per rule 801.02 b
A disc which has been modified after production such that its original flight characteristics have been altered is illegal, excepting wear from usage during play and the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrapes. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal.

your thoughts...

I'd say the TD that would call somebody on this would have one seriously large swinging pair.

Per rule 801.02 b

your thoughts...

As long as the material that they are using is the same that Innove, DC, or any of the other companies are useing, ththe thickness isn't going to chage.

S/N - I wipe the stamp off my putters then sign them in the "upper left hand corner" of my putters, but if someone wanted to know what I threw, I'd tell them no matter the round I was playing.

From what I know, and I'm far from being and expert; but once you are sponsored by company A, you can not throw anything that is made by company B, unless company B is and off shoot of company A, ie Innova can throw Discmania; and Discraft can throw DGA.

Last edited:
From what I know, and I'm far from being and expert; but once you are sponsored by company A, you can not throw anything that is made by company B, unless company B is and off shoot of company A, ie Innova can throw Discmania; and Discraft can throw DGA.

There are no hard and fast rules. It varies by company. The examples you make with Innova/Discmania and Discraft/DGA are true, but most other companies who sponsor players don't require the players to be exclusive. This is especially true of companies that don't produce a complete line of discs.

And even among those companies, they might have two levels of sponsorships...exclusive and non-exclusive. Players that choose to go with no competing discs get a higher level of support than the players with a mixed bag.

I'm moderately colorblind and only throw neon yellow discs to aid in locating them. I foolishly like to think it also helps to keep my opponents guessing, since it I'm appearing to use the same disc for every shot. But, then I realize no one really cares what I throw since I'm a lefty also.

I always thought the weird stamp stuff was an Innova thing... they have some policy where no disc can leave the factory without a stamp, so when pros go there and pick out stuff that they want they just sort of stamp them with whatever. I don't recall seeing that with Discraft...?

Actually, Dave Dunipace mentioned several years ago on the PDGA msg board that Innova East does most of the stamping, so most disc DO leave the factory without a stamp, they just don't make it to distribution without them. :)

Latest posts