• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Does anyone bag an Epic?

Moose33

Stego Connoisseur
Gold level trusted reviewer
I bought an Epic a while back, as a OH enthusiast I though it would be worth a try. The disc has some real novelty and it's fun to watch fly, but I don't usually bag it because the only shot I use it for much(read: can tune it for consistently) is an up and over shot going about 275-325.

The plastic is too soft for any durability and it's not easy to throw for many shots. I've thrown it forehand 400+ on flat ground but more often than not it just flips and tanks.

Just curious, does anyone at all keep this disc bagged? If you do what do you use it for?

Well, someone does as I've found a few of them before on courses. Its like finding poison ivy-- generally, not on the fairway and often you aren't sure if you should even touch it.

I threw one backhand once.. flew better than I imagined and actually is a good overhand disc given what its designed to do but there plenty of threads ranting about this thing.

My buddy bags one, but it's usually for the up and over shot you mentioned . At hole 8 I think at Julia Davis park in Boise ID, there is a shot that you can take the shortcut route and shoot over a pond and two sets of trees and drop in for birdie. He usually pulls the epic out for that shot and I get jealous for a second, but too be honest, I've never see him use it for anything else.

I throw a firebird or a banshee for my overhead shots, but that's just me. There seems to be a love/hate relationship with the epic on these forums ;)

I have a buddy that he only throws OH and he bags about 4 epics. He is not a pro but he can throw the epic in no wind, open shot maybe 430 feet with the perfect line. He can average 350 ish. It does a nice flip and flips all the way over then flies straight like a normal disc.

I have a buddy that he only throws OH and he bags about 4 epics. He is not a pro but he can throw the epic in no wind, open shot maybe 430 feet with the perfect line. He can average 350 ish. It does a nice flip and flips all the way over then flies straight like a normal disc.

430 is nice distance for OH!! I don't care if you are a pro, or what disc you throw.....430 is beastly. I max out at about 300 tommy.:thmbdown:

Yes, but only on open holes where I don't care what side of the fairway it ends up & the only goal is to just get it out there (400+).

i know a few randoms around the area that throw them for random controlled OH shots
For an epic, there is no such thing...

That's pretty amazing! I throw tons and rarely break 400ft OH. And my Ape/Boss are so much more reliable I usually throw them for that distance instead.

only person ive ever seen throw it used it on every hole. provided the course is like a field with barely any trees. i couldnt see him using it on a challenging course.

I used to bag these, because it is without a doubt the farthest flying disc I have thrown. I've gotten it over 500' on hole 27 at Kensington from the longs. I also hit an ace with mine on hole 2 at Kensington from the shorts. I had a lot of fun with it, but since it flies so far, it created some bad habits and I was using it when I should really be saving my back and shoulders and throwing backhand.

yeah takes a long time to learn to tune and learn to throw. once you have made it to the point you can control it works okay. but then the wind picks up you you need to factor, tuning, wind and wear on the disc. really not worth it unless you already learned how to throw them.

short answer. buy another putter and work on that part of your game. way way way way way more important than duecing a few random 500 foot holes.

This guy Dave was throwing one during the doubles round before the Cottonwood Fall Classic and it would do TWO barrel rolls and then pan out to the left over the course of its' flight. He was getting around 420+' throwing overhand. Truly an 'epic' flight.

More importantly, who has an epic bag?

My brother bags 1 or 2. He aced a 420ft open field hole at our home course with it. It is a high risk/reward disc considering the wind.

When conditions are clam he is quite accurate with it and I have seen him throw some long placement shots, and everything works out well.

When the wind picks up its very iffy, if he hits it right and it catches the wind it goes a long way. If he makes a poor throw the he might end up in the next county.