• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Does Anyone Still Cycle Rocs?

I'll take a look, I was also considering a Foxbat, but I feel I could just power down my Leo for the same results. Plus not sure how the foxbat feels.

The Foxbat was one of my very first discs. It is very domey, very glide-y. I really like it in the woods and have gotten some really good throws with it, including a couple of ace runs. It flies pretty straight in calm conditions, though you might want to hyzer-flip it to get that straight flight if you throw it with power.

The (potential) problem with the Foxbat is that it tends to drift to the right (RHBH throw) and not come back. I actually anticipate that when throwing mine. Also, it does very poorly in headwinds.

I still keep a cycle of Roc's and Destroyers. Roc3's, KC's, Champ, DX, etc. They are all good and have a use.

Nothing 'new' flies like a beat disc.

I play wooded courses and keep at least 3 Rocs in the bag: Fresh with pronounced fade; Neutral with no fade; and, Beat with slight to moderate turn. (Flippy/turnover is covered by a beat DX Stingray. Very OS covered by a Zone.)

As someone mentioned above there are so many good to great mids available these days. I've tried a lot and like many. But you've gotta pick something unless you want to push a wheelbarrow full of discs around the course.

Cycling base plastic Rocs is old school because it works. My thrower Roc collection is not as large as some but there are at least 25 or 30 in there. I can always "go to the bench" to find a substitute for one that's in my bag.

Keep it simple. Go with what is proven to work. Throw base plastic Rocs.

Absolutely.

I go back and forth between Rocs and Ghosts. Roc3s work for me as well.

The only Mids in my bag are rocs. Nothing beats a good cycle.

If you've been playing for 10+ years, I feel like its a given that at some point you've cycled Rocs.

I personally pair two KC Rocs, a flat top KC and a DX Glo with a Q Sentinel.

I'm pretty much the same way. Rocs, craves, valks, terns are all being cycled. Keep a couple beefy utilities as well.

I'm using mcpro roc3s at the moment instead of the kc rocs ive used for many many years. It's virtually the same concept, though the mold flys slightly different. I like the McPros plenty. Once I work thru my current stack we will see if I stick it out or not. I bookend my McPros with a champ Rancho and I also bag a Z comet because comet.

You betchya

Carry 3 rocs (Star Rancho, 2 x Glow DX) I have a KC Pro that comes in and out but I don't really care for the feel of it. It has a massive dome, and the rim is slanted inward or something. Either way super awkward to hold onto.

I pair these rocs with a zone and a comet and call it a day.

Bad plastic and + rims have burned me. I moved to a Ghost cycle for a couple years and loved it. Ghost is truly the Roc standard bearer now, absolutely no reason to use Rocs unless you are single brand.

Except that ghosts have had just as many inconsistent runs and bad plastic as rocs. Which is crazy given the tiny in comparison time it's been out.

Lots of great mids like the ghost and roc out there. Cycling keeps consistent-ish hand feel and that's why I do it regardless of mold I choose to throw.
Definitely not out of date

I was once convinced to use DX/KC Pro Rocs. I remember being at a B-Tier and throwing my DX Roc off the tee on the first hole. It went straight at a tree and had such a noticeable change in flight the next time I threw it that round that I swore off DX plastic for the rest of my life. It may be ok for putting but I won't ever use base plastic for throwing again.

I've mentioned before on this site how annoying it is to hear someone gush over a 'beat-in' Roc. That wonderful and mysterious level of seasoning that a DX/KC Roc is supposed to achieve in order for me to understand what that phrase means. Very annoying.

Except that ghosts have had just as many inconsistent runs and bad plastic as rocs. Which is crazy given the tiny in comparison time it's been out.

Lots of great mids like the ghost and roc out there. Cycling keeps consistent-ish hand feel and that's why I do it regardless of mold I choose to throw.
Definitely not out of date

Oh really?? That is too bad. I threw ghosts for 2 years when they first came out and during that time they were nothing but amazing in consistency and quality.