• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Does Anyone Still Cycle Rocs?

This is what I want to know from Roc cyclers:

You guys tend to use 3-5+ Rocs. If you used other/"modern" mids (Buzzz, Truth, etc.) and paired them with what you needed...would you use less mids? Would you rely on your putters more often? Or is your bag just built around using mids so much that you need every single variance of midrange and would prefer to use those if it's a "maybe" shot between mid and putter, for example? Or, would you have 5 different modern mid molds in premium plastic to do everything from turnover to straight to OS finish in a breeze?

I wonder how much the Ghost had to do with the premium plastic Roc's going production?

Nothing whatsoever. I'm pretty sure Star Ranchos were in production before the Ghost. Champ Ranchos still aren't production, but Z Wasps have been around forever without Innova caring. If you mean champ Roc3s, that was all McBeth, nothing to do with Ghosts.

I also cycle Rocs. Currently bagging a beat DX, a fresh DX and a USDGC champ. Great disc but no disc is perfect for everyone. Also, cycling is just fine for any mold, be it premium or baseline. The premium cycles just last longer.

This is what I want to know from Roc cyclers:

You guys tend to use 3-5+ Rocs. If you used other/"modern" mids (Buzzz, Truth, etc.) and paired them with what you needed...would you use less mids? Would you rely on your putters more often? Or is your bag just built around using mids so much that you need every single variance of midrange and would prefer to use those if it's a "maybe" shot between mid and putter, for example? Or, would you have 5 different modern mid molds in premium plastic to do everything from turnover to straight to OS finish in a breeze?

3 discs of any speed you bag to cover understable to overstable needs is almost mandatory and 4 is pretty normal. If you can get away with only 2 discs in your bag for a particular speed class, you are much more of a disc minimalist than most serious players I know. Then again I know people who throw almost all mids and other people that lean on their fairways for a lot of mid shots, so to each their own. I haven't seen many people posting that they actually bag 5 or more Rocs although they might own more. I bag 2-3 Rocs usually. I used to use Buzzzes and I bagged an ESP, a Z, a Ti, and a Gator (or later a BuzzzOS) to cover the stability range.

3 discs of any speed you bag to cover understable to overstable needs is almost mandatory and 4 is pretty normal. If you can get away with only 2 discs in your bag for a particular speed class, you are much more of a disc minimalist than most serious players I know. Then again I know people who throw almost all mids and other people that lean on their fairways for a lot of mid shots, so to each their own. I haven't seen many people posting that they actually bag 5 or more Rocs although they might own more. I bag 2-3 Rocs usually. I used to use Buzzzes and I bagged an ESP, a Z, a Ti, and a Gator (or later a BuzzzOS) to cover the stability range.

Yeah I totally understand 3 Rocs plus a Gator, for example (turnover, straight, one with finish, and a Gator just because)...but some people have like 5+ where the differences just seem so small. I just don't understand when throwing a slow disc where you can have so much input on hyzer/anhyzer angles and it just holds that you need that much tiny variety. In high speed drivers a small stability change can mean the difference between a straight finish or a turnover that goes 60' to the right, depending on your power. But with mids they just hold lines a lot of the time.

So that's why I was wondering when some guys bag tons of Rocs that all seem so similar...if they were going to throw the Buzzz-style alternate mids, would they feel they need to bag tons of different molds or would they get away with US, straight, and somewhat OS?

Now obviously this approach isn't wrong...McBeth bags a ton of Rocs and throws them all of the time, plus he throws a Nova and P2 which cover straight and OS putter approaches, and he throws Teebirds as well. I just want to know if people who do this had to switch from Rocs, would miss having a ton of mids with tiny variety between them.

Last edited:
Currently rocking a trashed flat top kc roc, beat mcpro roc3, slightly beat champ roc3, fresh star roc3. I also have a buzzz and gator. Buzzz is only used for low ceiling mid shots and the gator is almost exclusively for crazy flick shots to get out of trouble.

I don't think I really cycle Rocs anymore. I use a Sentinel in the OS Roc slot pretty much all the time now, so I just use the Roc in the stable to understable slots. Even toward the end of the five Roc bag, the OS Rocs were KC Pros that I didn't really cycle. Once they were beat I traded them off and still used DX in the stable to understable slots. It's been maybe 10-12 years since I really did a true cycle on my Rocs.

At this point I almost don't use mids anyway. If you told me I had to get rid of one class of discs in my bag, it would easily be mids. That pains me to say since I love mids, but in my day-to-day play I find myself almost never reaching for one.

WHOA. Just whoa there.

I don't really cycle Rocs anymore either. I have a Q-Sentinel for super OS. Then a Champ Rancho Roc and a BEAT-UP Champ San Marino Roc. 3. 3 mids. Down from 5. 3 mids that are the same damn stability every time I reach for them, for years. Sometimes a DX San Marino slides in the really-flippy spot, so sometimes 4, but I can usually hit those lines with either a Leo or an Aviar.

But dropping mids entirely? Hell no. I'd drop fairways AND distance drivers before then and play putters, mids, speed 9 drivers.

WHOA. Just whoa there.

I don't really cycle Rocs anymore either. I have a Q-Sentinel for super OS. Then a Champ Rancho Roc and a BEAT-UP Champ San Marino Roc. 3. 3 mids. Down from 5. 3 mids that are the same damn stability every time I reach for them, for years. Sometimes a DX San Marino slides in the really-flippy spot, so sometimes 4, but I can usually hit those lines with either a Leo or an Aviar.

But dropping mids entirely? Hell no. I'd drop fairways AND distance drivers before then and play putters, mids, speed 9 drivers.

I'm with you. If I could only carry one speed it would be mids. I think it comes down to your area courses though. I've played courses that are all driver/putter. The only time a mid comes out is if you hit an early tree and need that extra on the approach. If that's all you have to play around your area then I can see where you wouldn't need mids. I think every well rounded bag needs a few though. We have such a wide variety of courses in Ohio that mids are a must. Love em!

As for the OP, my answer is kind of a yes. With the Roc3 being so available in different plastics it ends up taking a lot of slots. I usually carry 6 Rocs. 3 or 4 Roc3s and 2 or 3 Rancho Rocs. One of my favorites is a good ol DX Rancho and it gets most approach shots where accuracy is key.

I've tried every mid out there as well and just love the Roc the most. With most mids it seems you need different molds for different shots but just buy a stack of Rocs and your good to go. I could easily just throw one Star Rancho and two DX to cover about everything. Just beat one DX and keep the other fresh. A store near me has buy one disc get a second 30% off so two DX Rocs are under $15. No brainer.

To answer the question of what I would do without Rocs, yes I would probably need to carry Wasp, Z Buzzz, Z Buzzz SS, Meteor, Comet to have the same shots.

The thing is, guys around here who don't cycle Rocs still carry like 5-6 mids.

Especially Trilogy people. Justice, Verdict, Truth, Truth, Fuse, Suspect, Tursas, etc.

I don't know too many people who only carry 2-3 mids.

As to the other topic brought up, if I had to drop any type of disc from my bag, it would be distance drivers.

I am fairly new to disc golf and have taken an extreme liking to DX Roc's. However, recently I've decided I would like to carry less disc, mainly cut back on having to cycle DX Rocs's. I currently carry 3 DX Roc's, Champ Roc3, Champ Mako3 and occasionally a Sokibomb Compass. I don't mind the Roc3, the Mako3 I love how it flies but hate the way it feels and the Compass is just "Ehh" IMHO.

I mainly play heavily wooded course which beats in my DX Roc's a little to fast. I've been kicking around the idea of running a Star Roc, Champ Roc3 and possibly a Buzzz or similar straight flying mid.

Question: Are there any straight flying mids with more of a fairway type driver feel, if that makes any sense?

Or should I just season three Star Roc's with hopes they'll stay in the bag longer than a few months?

Yes try out a wasp its more shallow and fastee than a roc

The thing is, guys around here who don't cycle Rocs still carry like 5-6 mids.

Especially Trilogy people. Justice, Verdict, Truth, Truth, Fuse, Suspect, Tursas, etc.
I know it is hip to go for the mold minimization and agree that there are benefits to it. The reasoning however is not really bullet proof in my mind.

Usually people go for mold minimization in order to preserve the same feel on a disc no matter the flight. In reality, I dare to say that having a Verdict, EMAC Truth, Truth and an Evidence in Lucid plastic will provide a much more uniform feel than five different plastics, molds and lifecycles of Rocs. :gross: :D

I know it is hip to go for the mold minimization and agree that there are benefits to it. The reasoning however is not really bullet proof in my mind.
Usually people go for mold minimization in order to preserve the same feel on a disc no matter the flight. In reality, I dare to say that having a Verdict, EMAC Truth, Truth and an Evidence in Lucid plastic will provide a much more uniform feel than five different plastics, molds and lifecycles of Rocs. :gross: :D

:clap:

I mean...I didn't mean to cycle rocs. It just kind of happened. I used to rock the buzzz and got pwnd by a friend who threw rocs and decided to give it a try. I really enjoyed it new, absolutely loved it when it was crazy straight, and when it started going right decided to buy a new one...

TL;DR - One doesn't cycle rocs...one merely throws rocs...the rocs cycle themselves.

In reality, I dare to say that having a Verdict, EMAC Truth, Truth and an Evidence in Lucid plastic will provide a much more uniform feel than five different plastics, molds and lifecycles of Rocs. :gross: :D

That's why you pick 1-2 plastics and have multiples. I don't think there's a ton of people cycling rocs that aren't DX Ranchos or KC Pro. Familiarity with the full life cycle of a disc in non-premium plastic is way more valuable than what most people realize. They all share the same lifecycle...they are just at different points. Different molds could have vastly different lifecycles even in premium plastics.

It's kind of a personal preference really. I would be really uncomfortable having so many different molds. Plus, having lots of molds that makes it just that much harder to get enough throws in with a disc to be really comfortable with how it's going to fly in any conditions. That's why I stick with the cycling process - I can bring a stack of the same disc out in various wear stages, and become familiar with it faster. As an example, even if it's a perfectly calm day, if you throw your understable discs you can get a good read on how the new ones fly in a headwind.

It's subjective. That's how I like to practice, so that carries over to how I play on the course.

Lol...if somebody says they are cycling Rocs but have a combination of Rancho's and Roc3's and vRocs, they don't know what cycling is. I actually stopped considering it 'cycling' when I started throwing KC Pros in the OS slot becasue I wasn't moving them down to the stable slot when they were beat in. I was still using DX Rocs there. The only 'cycle' I had left was from the stable to understable slot, which isn't really a Roc cycle.

But to your first point, no there is no magic in cycling. It works for some people. It worked quite well for me for a long time. If you are hung up on 'premium' plastics, then it's going to be teh suXXsors for you. People who want to throw premium plastic should choose discs by the flight out of the box becasue the discs are going to beat in too slowly for the cycle to work. Is one way right? Only if you are the type of person who is convinced what they do is right all the time. Otherwise, it's two different ways to set up a bag and both have advantages/disadvantages.

Last edited: