• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dogs on leases

Then you're the exception. Most hunting dogs I see are in way-too-small wire cages in their owners backyards, with crappy lean-tos built inside as shelter. And the only time they leave those cages is to go hunting. Basically, several forms of animal abuse jumbled together and labelled a "sport".

Everyone I know with a hunting dog, it's essentially the family pet, other than the fact that's it also been trained to go hunting.

I'm curious how you think letting a dog hunt is abusive. Dog's were born to hunt. If anything, it's inhumane to domesticate them for your own pleasure without ever letting them get a taste of of their true nature. As far as the second connotation of your abuse statement, if you're a vegetarian, I respectfully disagree and cede you the moral high ground, otherwise you're just being a total hypocrite.

Last edited:
screw leashes... I'd ban them

If I have to fight a dog to save my lil lap dog thing...I'm ready...

bring on your pitbull...I'm punching my fist down it's throat, ripping out it's intestines... then going to the ER...

no problem

not entirely serious

I'm just going to say leash your dogs, especially after that post from the insurance person.

I have a big Rottweiler, close to 150 lbs. and a well-behaved giant baby.

When I used to bring her to parks, we would inevitably get a few off leash dogs coming over by us.

Most of those types of owners don't follow their dog closely enough to intervene if needed.

I never had an issue, as my dog is well trained, but I would usually become a strange dog sitter for a few minutes until the owner/s grabbed or called their dog away.

In these situations, I was always concerned that the off leash dog would attack my on leash Rottweiler, but we would end up being to blame after she killed their dog.

Same goes for our neighbors who let their dogs come in our yard off leash while our girl is on her lead.

My dog kills their dog in our yard and we would still have blame on our end because of her breed.

So leash your dogs, it's not just about you.

all good stuff in this thread... everyone has a good point.

here's the thing though...

I'm not going to leash my dog... I sometimes don't even own a leash. I enjoy it this way, so... maybe it will go south or won't (like all 11 years of having this dog has gone... all good).

Years ago, before dog parks, we had a dog play group that met after dark at a city park. Park was generally deserted at this hour but there were no fences so the dogs had to be really well trained. Our main worry was bicycle cops - they could appear out of nowhere and hand out hefty fines.

One day the dogs were playing off leash as usual and a bicycle cop appears out of nowhere. We say "oh crud", call our dogs, and put them on the leash. Cop walks up and asks to talk to us. "Sure, officer."

Cop says, "I just got a dog and I'm having a hard time training him. I noticed that your dogs were well trained and wondered if you could give me some tips."

Us: "Oh gosh yes sir we'd be delighted to help."

Enforcement discretion at its finest. :D

TL;DR--Put your dog on a leash

I was playing disc golf today and there was a couple with their dogs sitting at the end of a teepad. One of the dogs was barking at me while I was at the previous hole.

As I chained out and approached the teepad that they were on, I noticed there was one, bigger dog not on a lease that was approaching me. Here's our conversation

Lady: He is a friendly dog

Me: Yeah, until he bites me

Me: You need to have your dog on a leash.

Lady: The park allows to have dogs without leashes (and some other things about not having the dog out there if it was mean)

Me: Ok (said in a way that was dismissive)

Played through the hole. They did have onr dog on a leash but I couldn't tell if the other dogs were on a leash because I was making sure the one dog that approached me was going to do anything.

Regardless if you think your dog is nice or not, you need to have them on a leash in a public setting. Dogs can be defensive while they are with their owners especially if a stranger approaches.

Me: You need to have your dog on a leash.

Lady: The park allows to have dogs without leashes (and some other things about not having the dog out there if it was mean).

Just curious - Was the lady correct or not that the park allows off-leash dogs?

I can't believe this is even a discussion. Laws are laws, weather you think they are warrented or apply to you. I can think of lots of laws that I think are stupid, but guess what I follow them. Why? Because if ignorance of the law is no excuse, do you think the court is gonna take " well, I knew the law, but didn't think it applied to me, so I chose not to follow it" as a viable excuse? Umm no.

Laws are laws people. Regardless of the situations.

And I have two dogs. Love all dogs. Still wouldn't chance letting one of them out in public off leash where they weren't allowed to be. Both are awesome, well behaved creatures. But, weird @#$& happens.

Also, if one of your off leash animals jumps up on my son's stroller, I'm punting it into the next zip code. No hesitation, no questions. Call authorities if ya wish. I don't know if it's being friendly. And even if it was, those paws have claws, that are sharp, and need to be no where near my littles face.

Just curious - Was the lady correct or not that the park allows off-leash dogs?

Arkansas doesn't have a state law on leash laws, so it is left up to the counties and cities. From what I have gathered and believed to be accurate, the park that I play at is part of the county which allows tagged dogs to be unleashed. The city, which is only a few minutes away, requires dogs to be on a leash.

While the lady may be technically right, the dog should have been on a leash out of respect and security of others. I would do that with my dogs even they are allowed to be unleashed in the park.

I agree about the laws...

I also stated... don't care...my dog goes leash-free

Leash laws are there for good reasons, just like many other laws. Here's a very simplistic look at this.

Does everybody who doesn't wear a seatbelt while driving, or a helmet while riding, die in an accident just because they're not wearing one? No.

Does every dog not on a leash bite someone? No.

Now this is coming from a person who has been saved by wearing a seatbelt, and who has been approached by a very aggressive, unleashed, dog on a dg course.

I prefer my odds with a seatbelt on and leashes on dogs. Just sayin'.

I just hate when someone leashes their dog up to the nearest tree so they can throw, then the dog proceeds to bark non stop during that time and is heard through out the whole entire course. Please don't be this person!

I have played with grousy guys that insisted I leash her...when I have done that, it's a leash connected to my bag so she winds up being close by and sits patiently...

When playing with non grousy guys, she is pretty good overall though she likes to chase the disc...so we have to pretend throw so she'll tear off after the imaginary disc... she winds up in the fairway, but my rule has always been if she gets hit it is her fault and not the throwers....

most of my friends get a kick out of her or at least don't care enough to grouse...

this works really well in groups where we have two, three, or more dogs with us...all off leash... no one cares and in fact we prefer it... dogs are fun to have around.

I haven't read everything here but...The issue is trying to apply a monolithic rule to an issue that comes in many varieties and sizes. What would make sense is, apply common sense and no need to apply any laws or rules. Noills dog obviously does not need to be on a leash all the time. A 150 pound socially aggressive dog on the other hand really needs to be leashed in public. Common sense also says if you have the park to yourself who cares if the dog is leashed. Problem is, the over-used cliche is true: common sense isn't. Thats the real issue here. A lot of the anecdotal evidence presented in this thread proves that fact to me. We have leash laws because there are just enough knickleheads out there who are too lazy to try to understand the basics of their canines behavior and how it impacts others.

I adopt pit bulls. The two I have now are not mean or aggressive dogs by any stretch.

But I know that NO ONE wants to see my two beautiful and sweet-natured, but still large and scary-looking, dogs running freely anywhere near them, their children, their dogs, or their discs. It's just bad form. So I either leash 'em, or leave 'em at home. Usually the latter, because I don't like leashing them in the woods. Seems like a very specific kind of torture to lug them out where all that fun is, only to be attached to me at all times...

"What?? I can't chase every squirrel or rabbit I see? Pssh. What's the point?" - Bradly, my Staffordshire. He says it with his eyes.