• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dogs on leases

ok, when my 5 lb dog does that, I won't hold you to blame.

:p

(props on the tragedy of the commons ref)

I just had an epiphany! This might just be why chihuahuas and min-pins are so horrible!

Seriously, I have giant breed dogs currently.. I HAVE to make sure they're trained. Period. Fortunately, they're also extremely chill.

I just had an epiphany! This might just be why chihuahuas and min-pins are so horrible!

Seriously, I have giant breed dogs currently.. I HAVE to make sure they're trained. Period. Fortunately, they're also extremely chill.
My brother always had big well trained and chill dogs, sadly they still had a few bites on neighbor loose pets that came in his yard.

A few years back at my home course a buddy of mine was practice putting before the round with his bag 75-100' away near another teepad. An unleashed dog walked right up to his bag, lifted a leg, and pissed all over his bag. The dog owner didn't even seem to care. I'm not mad about the dog being off leash in this instance because I still laugh thinking about this.

Happened to my buddy mid tourney. He was livid. The rest of us were laughing, but sympathetic.

ok, when my 5 lb dog does that, I won't hold you to blame.

:p

(props on the tragedy of the commons ref)

That Jenna's a vicious killer... last time I played SoWeMi, I needed 54 stitches to close the wounds.

...or maybe that was from the rough cuz I couldn't stay in the fairway. :\

FWIW- I never have issues with dogs. I love 'em. It's irresponsible owners that piss me off.

Last edited:
From the last time we had this discussion --

All the angst about dogs is easy to spew here but as long as you keep your dog leashed and cleaned up after no one really notices/objects in the real world. I take my dog out all the time -- doesn't make much sense as a dog owner to spend hours walking in the woods without my dog -- and it's uneventful when it comes to trouble. Yes, it took 30ish rounds of training to get him to stay wherever the bag was not go darting off after a rodent for 20yds or so dragging my bag, but these were rounds on our own off-peak with little interaction if any with other golfers. Now that he's older and never leaves the bag it's like having a real quiet spectator.

Yes -- there are off leash dogs that can be a hassle and I understand more than most how frustrating it is to deal with inconsiderate owners. You think off leash dogs annoy you -- try having a leashed dog with you, it's like the dogs are supposed to have a play date now and even with all the work I've done with my dog, an off-leash dog(s) are even more than he can resist so I'm left supervising all the dogs until the owners show and remove their wandering dogs . . . . . errr.

Golfers I know that are averse to dogs along have softened their view when it comes to my dog. They'll realize that the dog is just along for the ride and say things like -- "After the first basket, didn't even notice him", or "dogs usually bother me but he's OK".

If dogs aren't welcome someplace I just go somewhere else -- there's so many courses that don't have any dog restrictions (legal or culturally) I just play where we're welcome. I practice a lot at Sedgleywoods (busy urban course) with my dog but we keep to ourselves so as not to bother anyone. I don't bring him to tags or doubles if I'm playing, so no one has to ask not to have him along. (While my dog's well-behaved, I'm aggressive/over-bearing and appreciate most golfers wouldn't have the nerve to say . . . "um, I have a problem with the dog . . ." It's always fascinating when someone turns on their speakers and I ask that they turn them off. The response is always "really?", and I respond -- "please". You'd think I just kicked their dog!! )

:)

A friend of mine used to bring his Jack Russell (Rex, r.i.p.), out to the course all the time. He always kept him leashed, but usually attached to his bag. More than once I saw Rex take off after a squirrel, dragging the bag and spilling discs all over the place. It was always hilarious to see that. Now the friend has a chihuahua that can't really drag his bag.
Oh, the good old days.

That's completely false. It might be true for your average house dog, but it's certainly not true for any well trained working dog. If that was the case they would be completely useless for hunting.

I don't think hunting dogs go for walks in public parks. And as that was the issue. ..

Gotta admire your perseverance in attempting to prove your viewpoint is the only correct one. Oh wait---no I don't. :|

I used to take my hunting dogs for walks. Yes, in public parks and shockingly other public areas ;)

I think there are too many 'absolutes' in this entire thread.

Like leash laws? Stupid laws are always dealing in black and white....hardly ever gray areas in laws.

Or like...."my dog is well behaved, everyone else is the problem"?

Like leash laws? Stupid laws are always dealing in black and white....hardly ever gray areas in laws.

Or like...."my dog is well behaved, everyone else is the problem"?

Like everyone assuming every situation is identical. Like everyone thinking that their leash laws are universal. None of these things are true.

There is one thing that is. People being inconsiderate is ultimately the problem.

I used to take my hunting dogs for walks. Yes, in public parks and shockingly other public areas ;)

I think there are too many 'absolutes' in this entire thread.

Then you're the exception. Most hunting dogs I see are in way-too-small wire cages in their owners backyards, with crappy lean-tos built inside as shelter. And the only time they leave those cages is to go hunting. Basically, several forms of animal abuse jumbled together and labelled a "sport".

Then you're the exception. Most hunting dogs I see are in way-too-small wire cages in their owners backyards, with crappy lean-tos built inside as shelter. And the only time they leave those cages is to go hunting. Basically, several forms of animal abuse jumbled together and labelled a "sport".

Funny, most people *I* know don't do that. See how badly generalization works? ;)

View attachment 67289

IDK how to make this dang thing larger.

cant-break-the-law-i-am-the-law-made-on-19359186.png

Just ignore the grand theft part. :D