• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dogs on the DG Course

Ug...this is always a heated discussion among me and my hombre's. I say,if you want to bring a dog that's totally cool. I happen to like a pup. But leash him/her. Once,a friend of mine brought his jack Russel terrier to play 18 with us and with-out a leash. I protested and he brought him along anyway. Seriously,the dog went after EVERY DISC WE THREW,and ran around with'em. Needless to say it was a bad,BAD eighteen holes.

Short legged dogs (especially Jack Russel Terriers) are useless and should all be exterminated. I think they all have napoleon complex. ;)

Last edited:
I almost always bring my dog along, unless its too hot out. This season I bought a set of saddle bags for him to carry extra discs for me. There is even a bungee cord laced across the middle to hold my putter. Along with clean up bags I also carry treats for him when we finish.

That's awesome that your dog caddys for you. I would bring my dog, but she is like those described that would chase the discs and bring them back, so she stays home when I play. We play with old discs at the park when I get home:)

As for the poop, there's no excuse for leaving it on the course. Even if you forgot to bring a poop bag, you can always find a stick and sweep it into the shule where nobody will ever see it again.
Don't put it there man. The shule is where I am always at looking for my disc haha

I remember one time out on the course hearing this guy scream at the top of his lungs "whos f***ing dog is this? He just peed on my leg". It seems this Doberman had peed on this guy & he was pissed off (no pun intended). The owner sheepishly went over to the guy & got his dog under control. Not sure what ever happened out of that. What can you say? Dogs are strange.

Dugs

here is my take on dogs. Casual rounds its fine. Dog owners need to remember just cause their dog is well behaved and not on a leash doesn't mean billy bob's doberman/pitbull/whatever is and when your dog rolls over there and gets tore up you get mad and blame the person who actually was following the rules and had the dog on the leash. :eek:
Dog owners like everyone else just need to remember common courtesy. I have a couple buddys that bring their dogs. In general I don't mind, but pay attention to your dog. Don't ask me where it went. It's not my dog.
Just my two cents...

my dog helps protect me from the critters. I have never been attacked by a squirrel, rabbit, or possum, or porcupine,or even a coon. My dog helps keep me safe!!

I do bring my dog at certain courses where its not crowed with players or non-players.

I mostly bring him to Chili course until he got too old to walk the whole 18 hole course. He's 13 years old now. He has been going that course since he was an year old.

In his younger dog year, he tend to hang out with me and likes to meet other dogs at the course. Of course, I had to make sure that the dogs can get along well before moving on. Other dog owners or players don't mind to allow my dog to approach them to say "hi" and sniff them up before coming back to me to the next tee. His only skill of disc golfing is to able to get in the water and pull out the disc for me after I pointed him to the right spot. He also have a good common sense of where to dump his poops. He tend to go so far off the course into the thick unplayable area and take the dump there. I was never able to find his poop but I always carry plastic bags and leash anyway.

Hope someday for my next dog, I plan to train him or her to be DG caddy that can carry my stuff, seek out and retrieve lost discs from the water, tall grasses or under leaves. Whatever.

Maybe getting Bloodhound dog will do that...umm...

:D

I do bring my dog at certain courses where its not crowed with players or non-players.

I mostly bring him to Chili course until he got too old to walk the whole 18 hole course. He's 13 years old now. He has been going that course since he was an year old.

In his younger dog year, he tend to hang out with me and likes to meet other dogs at the course. Of course, I had to make sure that the dogs can get along well before moving on. Other dog owners or players don't mind to allow my dog to approach them to say "hi" and sniff them up before coming back to me to the next tee. His only skill of disc golfing is to able to get in the water and pull out the disc for me after I pointed him to the right spot. He also have a good common sense of where to dump his poops. He tend to go so far off the course into the thick unplayable area and take the dump there. I was never able to find his poop but I always carry plastic bags and leash anyway.

Hope someday for my next dog, I plan to train him or her to be DG caddy that can carry my stuff, seek out and retrieve lost discs from the water, tall grasses or under leaves. Whatever.

Maybe getting Bloodhound dog will do that...umm...

:D

Yeah, Id been thinking maybe a pointer for my next dog, "Find that disc!". My last dog was Border collie/Golden Retriever cross that I successfully retrained to retrieve ONLY on command when I started disc golfing again.:D Broke his heart not to chase everything,:eek: so I started bringing "his" disc for him to chase down.

my home course has a lot of dogs wandering around.. mostly on leashes. I've never had a dog grab a disc and run off... others I know have. That's just rude.

The funniest thing I've seen on the course, thougg, involves a dog. A friend of mine drove short and landed on a walking path. A lady about 30 feet back on the path, coming towards the disc, just about face planted herself as her golden lunged trying to get the disc that landed in front of it. You had to be there.

Like pretty much everyone you should follow your course rules... Personally, I like dogs but I have been golfing with people that had a serious fear of dogs and were freaking out when we came across one. so keep in mind that not everyone loves dogs if you take yours with you.

Not all that related but one time I saw a deer run across the course I was at. It ran into a fence a couple times before changing course and running right past me... that was pretty cool.

Not all that related but one time I saw a deer run across the course I was at. It ran into a fence a couple times before changing course and running right past me... that was pretty cool.

Tyler State Park has a ton of deer and few really nice bucks. I had one of the bucks (6 point) standing off about 10 feet from the tee pad ... he didnt move, just watched me tee off. It was pretty cool.

Tyler State Park has a ton of deer and few really nice bucks. I had one of the bucks (6 point) standing off about 10 feet from the tee pad ... he didnt move, just watched me tee off. It was pretty cool.

That would be really cool. Sometimes I wonder what makes some animals so much more comfortable with us than others.

The fact that they're big and we're not shooting at them. :p

But seriously, in parks that are considered wildlife refuges, deer can get suprisingly tame. It's a matter of how we treat them over long periods of time.

I think most of agree. Dogs are cool, as long as you mind them. If you wonder about their behavior at all, leash them at least, keep them home if you must. On only one occasion have I had someone's dog come up on me and start barking in a proprietary way with no owner in immediate sight. I am not particularly frightened by dogs, but a good sized beast with no guiding hand barking at you like you're in his yard can put you off your putt. Granted, this one's owner came around the shule from a near hole quick enough and called his dog back, so all was good. But, if you ever have to think "He probably won't..." or "I'm pretty sure..." or any other equivocation of certainty, leash 'em or leave 'em.

I like to see the dogs, but I don't take mine usually though. I like to focus on playing dg instead of my dog. I have played a few rounds with a guy here in austin whose dog will go after the discs and find them for him. His dog doesn't pick them up he just sits by them- pretty cool IMO.

As far as wildlife, I was about 10 yards from a nice 2 or 3 y/o 8 point white tail here: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=934. Its fun to see animals in the park.

Tyler State Park has a ton of deer and few really nice bucks. I had one of the bucks (6 point) standing off about 10 feet from the tee pad ... he didn't move, just watched me tee off. It was pretty cool.

My home course is quite wooded. As we were approaching the #5 basket, I kept hearing something that sounded like a "big rig" setting its air brakes. I was surprised to think that someone would be bringing a big truck to the park, so I looked around and noticed a huge buck standing on the #6 tee box.
He was snorting at us and I realized why. We had some how gotten between him and his girlfriend (the doe) . The stared at us for a minute or two, so I got my champ Valkyrie ready just in case. I guess he realized he was out numbered and ran off. It was something to see. That buck had a huge rack.

I'm in agreement with you guys...any dog any size ...in a public place must be in control. If there's any doubt, you gotta leash your dog. Most dogs love people and get along just fine with strangers, but there are more than a few people that have been bit by dogs out of control and have real anxiety in the presence of a dog.

true story: Few years back, before I had my own dog I was dog sitting a friends dog and took the 80 pound Lab/ New Foundland for a walk. Leashed in the City. There were 3 black kids...small but street smart on the side walk. One kid looked particularly anxious. I thought I was cool and said "don't worry, she's good, she doesn't bite." The kid said..." Does that dog have teeth?"

He had me there.

Last edited:
i bring my dog and let her off leash when i go to a course that has plenty of open space or one i know won't be crowded. if the course is crowded i leash her, people tend to be afraid of 80 lb dobermans. :D