• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Driving Putter

Mrcpa

Bogey Member
So before I ask I will say I searched and found some older posts. However, what is some ideas of a better driving putter nowadays... I am trying to find which ones I like so I have the following putters, wizard in SSS, KC pro Aviar, and a Neutron Envy. I tend to throw the Envy but I'm still pretty new and don't know which ones are the best.

Thanks for the Input!

Hard to say which one is best. Have you tried throwing each of them?

Like I said I usually just throw the envy, but no I usually just use the wizard or aviar for putting... I would just like to know what everyone else uses for a driving putter.

Pure, Envy, Proxy, Yeti Aviar, Harp, Zone, Challenger, PA1. It kinda just depends on what shot you're looking for, and what feels best for you.

Never mind what everyone else throws, you're going to get a hundred different responses anyway. Throw what you have and see which you like best. If one performs better for you, than use that one. All going to come down to what feels best for you and your style of play.

KC Aviars are nice, I used to throw one, have since switched to Yeti's and Rhyno's depending on what I need.

I have never thrown a Envy, but if you like the Axiom/MVP plastic i am sure they have some molds that are more/less stable than your Envy if that is somthing you need.

For straight shots 300ft and in i throw my Opto Pures.
BT/TP Shields for stable/overstable backhand, the Discmania P2 is also a great stable driving putter.
My Harps are mostly for sidearm approaches or spikes, they are more of a tweener disc than a classic putter shape. Nice and overstable.

Very touchy subject. There are a lot of differing opinions on that topic! (big surprise, huh)

First off, putters and wide-rimmed drivers are two areas where the feel in each individual's hand is very personal. Some prefer shallow putters, some prefer deep dishes, some prefer lids. Some prefer more overstable for driving, some prefer neutral, some prefer lots of glide, some want a driving putter that has little glide as to hit and stick...

Here's some basics;

Overstable higher-glide putters: Prodigy PA1, Discraft Zone, Gateway Chief OS, Gateway Warspear, Gateway Wizard (to a lesser degree of overstability) Westside Harp

Neutral higher-glide putters: Innova Nova (most neutral glidey putter I've ever thrown), MVP Ion (most glide on any putter - I used it as a midrange), Discmania P1X, Discraft Banger GT, Prodigy PA3, Prodigy PA4, Lat64 Pure, Innova Colt, Innova Arrow

Overstable low-glide putters: Reptilian Disc Golf Scale (the one to rule them all), Innova Pig, Lat64 Sinus, Kestaplast Berg, Prodigy A1 (only comes in premium plastic as of right now)

Neutral low-glide putters: Reptilian Disc Golf Serpents, Innova Birdie, Quest 10M Brick (this is a joke), Polecat (glides well, just very low speed) L64 Spike

Again, it's all about how a putter feels in your hands and what plastic blend you prefer. For me, a RDG Scale or Prodigy PA1 are overstable and make great drivers. Both are available in great premium plastic blends that I prefer for driving putters and both companies have BEAUTIFUL base plastic blends that make great putting putters as well so you keep consistent molds and hand-feel.

Try to feel up as many putters as you can find and see what feels right to you.

Cheers, mate.

If you have that Wizard beat in enough to just go dead straight, then that and the Envy should have you covered with the Wizard doing more of the straight and putter speed shots (while the Envy handles even more power and is faster). They will feel different in the hand if that bothers you.

There really aren't any issues with that combo unless you just want to try more discs. As far as I'm concerned putters go straight in calm conditions (and hold any mellow line), they all throw fairly well.

I'll tell you what - I've, for years, thrown all manner of OS or moderately OS driving putters. In the last several months I have gravitated back to dead neutral (where the weather will let me get away with that) for driving putters and find I'm getting far better results with the added benefit of focusing on cleaner form. No bead Aviars, from moderately OS to flippy POS has 90% of my putter drives/ups covered. And they are so so fun to watch float.

I throw mostly Aviars but I do love the Envy/Proxy combo.

Wizards are also a mainstay in a lot of players bags as their driving putter.

Ultimately there is no right answer.

Try testing all three and see which one works better and is more comfortable for you.

I'll tell you what - I've, for years, thrown all manner of OS or moderately OS driving putters. In the last several months I have gravitated back to dead neutral (where the weather will let me get away with that) for driving putters and find I'm getting far better results with the added benefit of focusing on cleaner form. No bead Aviars, from moderately OS to flippy POS has 90% of my putter drives/ups covered. And they are so so fun to watch float.

I have a McPro Aviar that I got to test against my P2's and see what all they hype was about and I thought it was an ok disc but wasn't kicking out my P2 for putts. One day in the backyard I was decided to throw it for some upshot practice and found that it was so straight and glidey it immediately when in my bag for driving and upshot purposes. It pairs really well with my S-Line P2 covering the shots I need a bit of finish on.

So before I ask I will say I searched and found some older posts. However, what is some ideas of a better driving putter nowadays... I am trying to find which ones I like so I have the following putters, wizard in SSS, KC pro Aviar, and a Neutron Envy. I tend to throw the Envy but I'm still pretty new and don't know which ones are the best.
Thanks for the Input!

This past winter I did a lot of work on throwing putters, trying a good number of molds.

First, I putt in the circle with a Classic Warden. I approach with the Star P2, which is reasonably stable/overstable.

The longest, straightest putter off the tee for me is the Opto Pure. It will also show up any form issues you have when throwing. The Lucid Judge is also very good. They kick each other out of the bag, depending on how I feel and throw them on a given day.

The most consistently overstable putter I found was the Big Bead Aviar Driver (mine is in Star plastic). The Discmania P3 is a good putter but was not as overstable as I expected.

I do use the Envy and Proxy for approach shots, as well as the Colt and Stud.

The Prodigy Pa-4 is a good disc, as well. I will probably try a Pa-1 in the near future.

Latest posts