• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving with putters and midranges

Hello all,

I am new to this forum. I would say I'm an average player, but extremely passionate and willing to do whatever in order to get better. I've heard that a good strategy to improve on driving is to throw with midranges and putters; however, they feel so weird to throw. I think it's due to my grip. So my question is, Do most people who drive with putters and midranges use a fan grip or do they have a power grip? In my bag I have a Roc 3, KC Roc, and a buzz. For putters I have a Birdie, original Aviar, Vibram Summit, and a Wizard. All of these discs feel weird when trying to throw with a power grip. I throw LHBH and my average drive is probably 270-280 with my max being probably 315. Please help because i want to get much better with my drives. Currently I throw 168-171 wraiths and destroyers for OS and same weight Tern's and Mamba's for US. Are there any drivers that you would recommend for an average player. When I throw my mambas on an Anny they turn over a lot of the time. I feel very good with the Tern though for any backhand shot. I know this post is all over the place, but I have so many questions and just want to get better.

Thanks in advance

Honestly, I have gone back to just using my mids and putters until I can get decent distance with them. I would suggest a gold line Bolt from Lat 64 if you want an easy to throw distance driver. It is understable, so ymv. Just using your mids until you get them out past 275 feet will make the control drivers and drivers easier to get out farther, from what I read. I will let you know when I get there.

I use a power grip for fairway and distance drivers and a modified fan grip with my mids and putters. With the rims being so deep on mids and putters the power grip feels awkward as hell. Awkward=inconsistent.

Also I recommend pearing your putter molds down to only one or two molds. This will go a long way in being consistent when throwing them.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I am new to this forum. I would say I'm an average player, but extremely passionate and willing to do whatever in order to get better. I've heard that a good strategy to improve on driving is to throw with midranges and putters; however, they feel so weird to throw. I think it's due to my grip. So my question is, Do most people who drive with putters and midranges use a fan grip or do they have a power grip? In my bag I have a Roc 3, KC Roc, and a buzz. For putters I have a Birdie, original Aviar, Vibram Summit, and a Wizard. All of these discs feel weird when trying to throw with a power grip. I throw LHBH and my average drive is probably 270-280 with my max being probably 315. Please help because i want to get much better with my drives. Currently I throw 168-171 wraiths and destroyers for OS and same weight Tern's and Mamba's for US. Are there any drivers that you would recommend for an average player. When I throw my mambas on an Anny they turn over a lot of the time. I feel very good with the Tern though for any backhand shot. I know this post is all over the place, but I have so many questions and just want to get better.

Thanks in advance

You'll find players who power grip and fan grip putters & mids. Personally I power grip everything when throwing full power. It just takes practice and power gripping putters and mids will feel totally normal.

As far as throwing your mamba with an anny release -- yeah that's going to be a roller. You need to throw it with a HYZER release, it'll flip up to flat and sail -- high glide disc that's extremely understable. Destroyer is probably too much disc at this point, try something slower like a 9 speed champ viking.

I use a modified grip with mids and putters. Usually a power grip with my middle finger fanned out and my index finger partially fanned out.

I know this is generic advice but I would step down to slower speed driver, 270-280 is achievable with a much slower disc. The Mamba can hide a lot of form issues, it can also seem very rewarding when thrown at lower speeds. I would recommend a Teebird, Leopard3 or something comparable.

As for mids and putter; for awhile I stopped throwing fairway drivers and only threw mids, I mainly throw Dx Roc's, Champ Roc3's and a Champ Mako3's. I think the Roc3 and Buzzz you currently have are good starts, work with those and do lots of field work. Don't worry about the distance so much but work on your form and getting good pulls. The Roc3 for instance should fly straight for about 200 ft or so before fading (LHBH should finish right). The buzz should fly straight and if it does fade it should be very very minor.

As for form, there are lots of good threads on here, as well as articles and videos on youtube. You could also post a video for critique, but generally you'll get the same feed back so I'd start with reading threads and testing during field work. Field work reigns supreme, I do about 2-3 hours a day and would do more if I wasn't married with two kids and a full time job. Damn life getting in the way! (shakes fist)

As far as a grip, I've adopted what feels best which doesn't mean it's right. Generally on drivers I'll do a modified power grip (3 fingers on the rim, with my pinky curled into my hand and thumb close to the edge of the disc) or a 4 finger power grip depending on how the disc feels in my hand. I find the modified three finger gives me the most accuracy and power. For mids depending on the distance I'll use the 3 finger grip or a fan grip (3 finger for distance and fan for shorter more controlled up shots.) I'd recommend trying out the stacked power grip, I used that on my drivers and mids for a long time with good results.

Overall, you seem to have a good mindset, keep at it and don't give up. We all have things to learn at all various skill levels, but learning the fundamentals is awesome because you can see noticeable changes over a relatively short time span.

It depends on the throw for me. If I'm driving the putter, I use a power grip, if I'm putting or approaching (80 feet or shorter) I use a fan style grip. I have a modified approach shot that I use on 150 to 200 foot shots, and for that I still go to a power grip. Think control, if you need to be subtle, you want a subtle grip. If you need distance and power, that subtle grip is to risky, the disc is likely to slip out on the snap. Everything I've seen tells me that you should use your "power" grip if you're driving. That said, I've seen some guys with long fingers that drive with a fan grip.

Not all putters are the same. Part of the reason that putters feel different is that they have traditionally been deeper than drivers. There are a number of shallow putters available now, and they feel more like a driver.

Consider this. Move to a short fairway driver. Like a Leopard, River, or JLS. They have a lot of advantages for learning to drive. First, they fly much more like a midrange. Second, they have a narrower easier to grip rim, that is, they feel somewhat like a midrange. Third, they are more forgiving than the long drivers that start in the 9 speed range.

Everyone tends to go for the big rim discs, and they have some advantages. But, unless you are playing mega-course, the fairway drivers are much more useful and the skill set they teach translates up, whereas the big rim disc skill set doesn't necessarily translate down.

Honestly, I have gone back to just using my mids and putters until I can get decent distance with them. I would suggest a gold line Bolt from Lat 64 if you want an easy to throw distance driver. It is understable, so ymv. Just using your mids until you get them out past 275 feet will make the control drivers and drivers easier to get out farther, from what I read. I will let you know when I get there.

Thanks for the info. I had a bolt and loved it for hyzer flips. Definitely got some of the best distances consistently out of that disc. Had problems with it turning over though if there was any wind or i released on any kind of anny. Definitely going to get one again. Kind of reminded me of another disc i liked which was the MVP Inertia Proton.

I use a power grip for fairway and distance drivers and a modified fan grip with my mids and putters. With the rims being so deep on mids and putters the power grip feels awkward as hell. Awkward=inconsistent.

Also I recommend pearing your putter molds down to only one or two molds. This will go a long way in being consistent when throwing them.

I agree completely. Especially, with the Birdie putter. I'm going to try and battle through the awkwardness though. I just don't feel confident getting any distance with a fan grip.

I'll definitely try out the viking. Anything you would relate it to? A few months ago my go to understable was the Sidewinder. I could throw it on a hyzer or Anny any and was very consistent. I thinks it's partially due to both, but either I got a better snap or Sidewinders just flip easily after being beat in. A brand new Sidewinder I would imagine would still fly like a dream though

I know this is generic advice but I would step down to slower speed driver, 270-280 is achievable with a much slower disc. The Mamba can hide a lot of form issues, it can also seem very rewarding when thrown at lower speeds. I would recommend a Teebird, Leopard3 or something comparable.

As for mids and putter; for awhile I stopped throwing fairway drivers and only threw mids, I mainly throw Dx Roc's, Champ Roc3's and a Champ Mako3's. I think the Roc3 and Buzzz you currently have are good starts, work with those and do lots of field work. Don't worry about the distance so much but work on your form and getting good pulls. The Roc3 for instance should fly straight for about 200 ft or so before fading (LHBH should finish right). The buzz should fly straight and if it does fade it should be very very minor.

As for form, there are lots of good threads on here, as well as articles and videos on youtube. You could also post a video for critique, but generally you'll get the same feed back so I'd start with reading threads and testing during field work. Field work reigns supreme, I do about 2-3 hours a day and would do more if I wasn't married with two kids and a full time job. Damn life getting in the way! (shakes fist)

As far as a grip, I've adopted what feels best which doesn't mean it's right. Generally on drivers I'll do a modified power grip (3 fingers on the rim, with my pinky curled into my hand and thumb close to the edge of the disc) or a 4 finger power grip depending on how the disc feels in my hand. I find the modified three finger gives me the most accuracy and power. For mids depending on the distance I'll use the 3 finger grip or a fan grip (3 finger for distance and fan for shorter more controlled up shots.) I'd recommend trying out the stacked power grip, I used that on my drivers and mids for a long time with good results.

Overall, you seem to have a good mindset, keep at it and don't give up. We all have things to learn at all various skill levels, but learning the fundamentals is awesome because you can see noticeable changes over a relatively short time span.

Thanks for the info. I agree completely that I'm probably using to high speed of discs. Especially, with the Destroyers. I found one Star Destroyer (169) that I could control very well. I bought 2 more and they're way too fast for me. I'm feeling pretty good though with any wraith that I've gotten though. I might get a thunderbird because I want something thats just stable. Is the Firebird too much disc you think?

It depends on the throw for me. If I'm driving the putter, I use a power grip, if I'm putting or approaching (80 feet or shorter) I use a fan style grip. I have a modified approach shot that I use on 150 to 200 foot shots, and for that I still go to a power grip. Think control, if you need to be subtle, you want a subtle grip. If you need distance and power, that subtle grip is to risky, the disc is likely to slip out on the snap. Everything I've seen tells me that you should use your "power" grip if you're driving. That said, I've seen some guys with long fingers that drive with a fan grip.

Not all putters are the same. Part of the reason that putters feel different is that they have traditionally been deeper than drivers. There are a number of shallow putters available now, and they feel more like a driver.

Consider this. Move to a short fairway driver. Like a Leopard, River, or JLS. They have a lot of advantages for learning to drive. First, they fly much more like a midrange. Second, they have a narrower easier to grip rim, that is, they feel somewhat like a midrange. Third, they are more forgiving than the long drivers that start in the 9 speed range.

Everyone tends to go for the big rim discs, and they have some advantages. But, unless you are playing mega-course, the fairway drivers are much more useful and the skill set they teach translates up, whereas the big rim disc skill set doesn't necessarily translate down.

I want to get a river because I threw it once and was very happy with the control I had. You think 168-171 would be a good range weight?

I agree completely. Especially, with the Birdie putter. I'm going to try and battle through the awkwardness though. I just don't feel confident getting any distance with a fan grip.

My dg experience has taught me to not and try to force some things. More times than not what feels the most natural is the way to go.

Also, pure distance shouldn't be the main driving factor when developing your game early on. A smooth, clean, and consistent release is much more vital for long term success. The distance will will come when you improve in that area.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I agree completely that I'm probably using to high speed of discs. Especially, with the Destroyers. I found one Star Destroyer (169) that I could control very well. I bought 2 more and they're way too fast for me. I'm feeling pretty good though with any wraith that I've gotten though. I might get a thunderbird because I want something thats just stable. Is the Firebird too much disc you think?

The Thunderbird is good, I have one that I throw once in a while. But I still find my Teebird and TL getting more use at about the same distance. The Firebird is another go to disc for many but it meat hooks hard. When under powered it'll hyzer out fast, which will be real frustrating since it wont give you any real distance. I think your best bet is to step down to fairways, have you tried any fairway drivers? (speed 7 or lower)

Out of curiosity, if you throw your Mamba flat, what would happen? Does it fly straight or turn left (anny) into a roller? Just trying to get an idea on your arm speed.

If it stays flat, you're most likely under powering the disc.

If it turns left into a roller, try throwing the Mamba on a hyzer line (outer edge of the disc down, like your going to throw it to the right) Does it flip to flat and go left (anny) into a big S curve?

If it flips up and goes anny your heading down the right path.

The Thunderbird is good, I have one that I throw once in a while. But I still find my Teebird and TL getting more use at about the same distance. The Firebird is another go to disc for many but it meat hooks hard. When under powered it'll hyzer out fast, which will be real frustrating since it wont give you any real distance. I think your best bet is to step down to fairways, have you tried any fairway drivers? (speed 7 or lower)

Out of curiosity, if you throw your Mamba flat, what would happen? Does it fly straight or turn left (anny) into a roller? Just trying to get an idea on your arm speed.

If it stays flat, you're most likely under powering the disc.

If it turns left into a roller, try throwing the Mamba on a hyzer line (outer edge of the disc down, like your going to throw it to the right) Does it flip to flat and go left (anny) into a big S curve?

If it flips up and goes anny your heading down the right path.

If i throw my Mamba on any kind of Hyzer it's a pretty straight flying disc with a decent fade at the end. If i throw flat or with any kind of Anny it normally turnsover at about 175-200 feet.

BLEH to the birdie/polecat... Aviar, Judge, Wizard, Ridge, Challenger, Gauntlet, Omega... almost anything other than the birdie/polecat... in my very inexperienced opinion they are terrible and are shaped too differently to other discs which will make using more normal putters feel awkward. I use power grip on just about everything for every throw although sometimes on my aviar classic i fiddle with a fan grip.

hmm...taking a guess here but when you say you're throwing your mamba on an anny release, that makes me think you are throwing anny on your other drivers as well, to make them fly more to the right so they s curve, etc because they are too overstable for you. It's been documented by several pros that beginners are better off throwing understable discs and learning to release them flat and as their power increases learning to throw them on a hyzer release. I would suggest taking a step back and perhaps throw putters for a while and learn to release them flat, level, etc. A good initial goal is throwing your putters level, straight, out to 200ft.

I'll definitely try out the viking. Anything you would relate it to?

The Viking is similar to the Valkarie, it has a little less turn (9,5,-1,2 vs 9,5,-2,2) -- either would be a good choice but I prefer the Viking.

Have you considered buying used discs? Getting used discs in premium plastic can be a great way to try out discs. If you really like something you can always get a new one so you've got two in different stages of beat-in-ness (just made up a word but it works lol). You can always find guys who want to trade their old stuff too, or they may just sell them cheap. Some people don't realize the value of beat in discs in premium plastic. It's easy to replace a new disc you lose so I actually value beat in discs more than new ones (in premium plastic -- base line plastic beats in so fast it's not really an issue).

Good luck, just try not to spend tons of $ on new discs when there are better alternatives.

And that mamba is a handy disc to bag, you can do a lot with them but the release angle is pretty critical to get the flight you want.