• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving your putter

edward felcohands

Birdie Member
I'm looking to do more driving with my putter, and I am curious what grips most of you use when you are doing it. I've found that a 3 finger grip or the 2 finger grip flips and wobbles, and a 1 finger grip works alright, fan grip just has no power. Any advice? I may also stop with the aviars, they go right on me a lot.

I forget exactly what it's called, but I think what I use is a modified fan grip. My index and pinky are curled into the rim and my middle and ring finger are spread out onto the flight plate. For me, this grip gives a lot of control out to about 275' with my putters, and I use the same grip with my mids with good success for me. You could also try a more stable putter like a wizard or an Aviar driver (same mold, just with a big bead around the bottom that makes it a lot more stable), those both drive well for me.

I use an aviar driver with a modified power grip, I have big hands so I cannot power grip a putter. I put my pointer and pinky finger on the rim and then fan my middle and ring finger fanned out. worked well for me today, put one right next to the pin about 250'.

I would recommend using an overstable putter that wont dive off to the right. I use a zone and a control grip I guess you would call it. three tucked in rim and forefinger horizontal against the front of the rim. I dont usually use a putter off the tee though. I am more inclined to throw a buzzz on anything 250 and in.

I'm looking to do more driving with my putter, and I am curious what grips most of you use when you are doing it. I've found that a 3 finger grip or the 2 finger grip flips and wobbles, and a 1 finger grip works alright, fan grip just has no power. Any advice? I may also stop with the aviars, they go right on me a lot.

Whatever you do, do not ask 80played or Jesus this question.:eek:

I throw aviars, bead and no bead, with a spiderman fan grip

Putter driving ftw. I've driven my aviar way further than I expected and gotten some really good placement, which may or may have not been frustrated mulligan throws :rolleyes:

1 finger grip? are we talking forehand? i use a similar grip for my putter that i use for any other disc(BH)..best bet is to go to a field(not the course) and practice, practice, practice..

4 finger power grip. Took a little while to get used to it, but I avg 270' off the tee with Banger GT and Wizard. Comes in real handy on heavy wooded courses.

I don't throw putter outside 200 and in but when I do like to have modified power grip with small hands to fit on rim...index slightly sperated but not on top like control grip.

Driving with a putter is great and you can use just about any grip. For me it is a situational thing as to which putter I use and which grip I use. My main putter is a Zone which is nice and over stable yet goes super stright until it decides to fade. I will use this for just about everything if I need to get around something. This includes a lot of forehand. I also carry a Focus which is more of a traditional driving putter for me. Lastly, I also carry a Putt'r which I use when I need it to hold an anny line. As far as grips go I will use my modified fan grip, which is also my putting grip, when touch and placement are of the utmost importance. I will also use the control grip when I need a bit more distance.

I use a power grip but instead of clasping the disc between my finger tips and my palm, (as with a driver) I'll clasp it between my finger tips and the heel of my hand. It just feels better and gives me a cleaner release.

I use the same power grip that I use for regular drives.

If the putter wobbles out of your hand it probably had more to do with plane preservation than the grip.

Wrong:
discorientation02.jpg

Right:
discorientation01.jpg

Making sure you keep the disc and your arm in the same plane should help with the wobble. Also be careful of rolling your wrist. It will cause wobble as well.

I use a pinch grip which is like my modified power grip. The striaght power grip makes me put too much arm speed into it and not enough snap to allow it to fly nice, straight and far.

I would have recomended using the search feature, but for this topic I don't think that would have helped...

I found yesterday that I used a fan grip with the index finger on the front of the rim.

I would have recomended using the search feature, but for this topic I don't think that would have helped...
A new thread that would come up in a search before the last thread on this subject is a welcome addition to this site. :D

Latest posts