• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving your putter

4 finger power grip. Took a little while to get used to it, but I avg 270' off the tee with Banger GT and Wizard. Comes in real handy on heavy wooded courses.

This is the grip I use with the Voodoo. Make sure you're hyzer-flipping it if it isn't crazy overstable.

Whatever you do, do not ask 80played or Jesus this question.:eek:
A new thread that would come up in a search before the last thread on this subject is a welcome addition to this site. :D
lol

I forget exactly what it's called, but I think what I use is a modified fan grip. My index and pinky are curled into the rim and my middle and ring finger are spread out onto the flight plate. For me, this grip gives a lot of control out to about 275' with my putters, and I use the same grip with my mids with good success for me. You could also try a more stable putter like a wizard or an Aviar driver (same mold, just with a big bead around the bottom that makes it a lot more stable), those both drive well for me.

Yup!
Star Aviar for me (not the driver version). Orange 172g to be exact. So straight.
DSCJNKY

Even if you end up not using it in the end, I'd highly recommend learning to throw your putter with a power grip. It's a great way to find flaws in your form.

Def recommend Hyzer flipping 12x Aviars. I have some that are a couple of years old that are just money off the tee. I throw them all with a power grip and like them to be a little understable to flip up, fly straight or slightly turn, and finish relatively straight. It does not take a ton of power to get your putters to fly far. Good for ace runs up to 250' for me. I use them a lot off the tee for placement on longer wooded holes as well.

1 finger grip? are we talking forehand? i use a similar grip for my putter that i use for any other disc(BH)..best bet is to go to a field(not the course) and practice, practice, practice..

Backhand only i wont forehand unless absolutely necessary. When i say 1 finger grip, i guess it would qualify as a type of modified control grip. pointer finger is on the outside of the rim, middle finger is curled under the rim, ring and pinky are fanned out or tucked out of the way most of the time. i think i started throwing this way before i realized that OAT was the culprit with my mids wobbling on 2 and three finger grips. it was a way to get smoother flight, and i still use it because it is a dependable way to throw short drives straight as an arrow.

The power grip with putters is definately kind of strange for me. I use a pinch style grip and let it fly. Hit it just right and watch the beautiful straight flight that it will take, that is of course with a DX Aviar.

if i'm "driving" a putter i use a control grip n TRY no to put to much snap on it. but thats just me

Im the opposite as you, i just decrease arm speed while keeping wrist snap generally the same and i get alright distance

i reccomend Kenneth Climo's controll power grip, its on you tube. For all other questions I difflect to Three Putt, he knows lots of stuff

i reccomend Kenneth Climo's controll power grip, its on you tube. For all other questions I difflect to Three Putt, he knows lots of stuff
But I can't drive a putter worth a darn!

It's always a work in progress. I had some problems with nose up throws last spring, so I messed around with a lot of grips. I used the bonopane grip and the Climo fork grip a lot trying to see if I could figure out what I was doing wrong. It turned out that it really wasn't the grip at all, I had gotten into a torque monkey funk and was overthrowing everything. As my throws got worse and worse and I got more and more frustrated I just kept throwing harder and harder which had my form all out of sync and my drives kept getting shorter and shorter. So, I started with a nose-up problem and messed around until I couldn't do anything right. I could tell it was OAT because the discs would wobble out of my hand, then flip. Knowing what was wrong was a lot easier than fixing it.

I spent last winter one discin' with a Comet trying to relearn some smooth. You can't torque a Comet, so it really forced me to slow down and get my form together. This spring I went back to the power grip on my putter drives and got some nice long, straight drives. I was really pleased with how it worked out. Unfortunately I tore up my shoulder this year and was basically on the DL all summer, and now I'm back to square one with the bad form and the wobble. It looks like the Comet and I will spend another winter together.

I have been using my putter for almost all my drives the last 4 or 5 rounds I have played. When I get a clean release I can throw it about 175' nice and straight. Love that. BUT, I can very seldom get the clean release. I don't have big hands and think I am catching the rim too much. It's not real comfortable in my hand. I throw a SS Wizard. It has really helped my putting, but I can't seem to get a good grip and rip when I drive with it. I am trying to use a 4-finger power grip Like i do with other discs. Should I stick with it and suffer, or find another putter to drive with? I like throwing the stable putter. Is there a stable putter out there with a small rim? Should I just use a mid range?? Baffled. Please help and advise.

I have been using my putter for almost all my drives the last 4 or 5 rounds I have played. When I get a clean release I can throw it about 175' nice and straight. Love that. BUT, I can very seldom get the clean release. I don't have big hands and think I am catching the rim too much. It's not real comfortable in my hand. I throw a SS Wizard. It has really helped my putting, but I can't seem to get a good grip and rip when I drive with it. I am trying to use a 4-finger power grip Like i do with other discs. Should I stick with it and suffer, or find another putter to drive with? I like throwing the stable putter. Is there a stable putter out there with a small rim? Should I just use a mid range?? Baffled. Please help and advise.
I'd work with the Wizard. If you can't drive with a Wizard, you can't drive with a putter.

Read the grip article from DGR, keep in mind what's important, and modify your grip a bit with the putters. It's OK if some of your fingers don't touch the flight plate like they do with other discs. Back off quite a bit and focus on accelerating without moving too fast at any point in the throw. Even if you aren't ever really moving fast, just accelerating really late will get you a pretty good and far putter throw.

I'm looking to do more driving with my putter, and I am curious what grips most of you use when you are doing it. I've found that a 3 finger grip or the 2 finger grip flips and wobbles, and a 1 finger grip works alright, fan grip just has no power. Any advice? I may also stop with the aviars, they go right on me a lot.

My technique I use is from 40-75' I throw a fan grip high spin putt. from 75-125 I throw a high spin power grip. Outside of 125 I generally will throw my Spider instead of my putter. The putter I throw is a Rhyno.

I just asked about distances and techniques for throwing those distances in another thread too.

Wizard

I think I'll just keep plugging away with the Wizard. On occasion I do get a really good throw with it. I've had a few go over 200' nice and straight. So I have to think it is possible for me to get it done more consistently. Maybe I will tinker with my grip a little and see if I can find something comfortable. I already have way too many discs, and don't really wanto to go buy anymore. At least not until I think I am have way decent at this sport.

Driver with a putter other than an Aviar is difficult. I get my DX Aviar out to 240 or so, but my Voodoo not as far. I think it is how I grip it and the difference in the rim depth that doesn't allow me to get a good hold on it.

Still trying the power grip for the putter drives, i just cant get my star aviar 175 to fly smooth, always wobbles, but when i throw my crossfire(nike) i can get some very nice flights, straight and hyzer. its tough to get good form work done when you are only able to play once a week.

I tried a Crystal Z Challenger today. It is a stable putter similar to the Wizard I putt with. I got a better release with it than I usually do with a Wizard. Not sure yet if it was me or the different (smoother) plastic. Threw a few drives that went nice and straight about 175'. Since I only drive about 250' it wasn't a bad effort. Plus the plastic is a lot more durable than my SS Wizards. I'm going to try it for a few more rounds and see how it goes.