• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

drk_evns Backhand Form Thread

[emoji23] just kidding.

I did get a little giddy when I saw the responses. Just made me want to practice some more!

Also, my sidearm goes about 150 feet max, so that's something I'll likely shift focus to next summer.

Just going to get reps and putting practice in from now until my tourney. SW, HUB, SP... and all the others who regularly commented. Thanks for your help! ...so far.

How much are you rated?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I don't want to talk about it... lol

I'm creeping up on 900. 894 right now. Every time I have the appropriate time to prep for a tournament (practice the course multiple days before, regular putting practice, field work) my rating shoots up after a good performance...

Unfortunately I've done most of my tournaments on short notice this year because I'm so busy outside of disc golf.

To be honest, my focus for about 2 years was just about getting a backhand form I can stop thinking about and start putting reps in. Then I can really focus on my golf and not my swing (like a finger pointing to the moon).

I say this a lot but I'm hoping to have more time to dedicate from now on. My goal was to hit 900 this year and win a tourney or two. Next year my goal is to be competitive in advanced and push my rating as far into the 900s as possible.

I've seen the ability to play 950-1000 rated golf flash in front of me for a series of holes at a time. I know I'm capable. Just got to put in the time.

I don't want to talk about it... lol

I'm creeping up on 900. 894 right now. Every time I have the appropriate time to prep for a tournament (practice the course multiple days before, regular putting practice, field work) my rating shoots up after a good performance...

Unfortunately I've done most of my tournaments on short notice this year because I'm so busy outside of disc golf.

To be honest, my focus for about 2 years was just about getting a backhand form I can stop thinking about and start putting reps in. Then I can really focus on my golf and not my swing (like a finger pointing to the moon).

I say this a lot but I'm hoping to have more time to dedicate from now on. My goal was to hit 900 this year and win a tourney or two. Next year my goal is to be competitive in advanced and push my rating as far into the 900s as possible.

I've seen the ability to play 950-1000 rated golf flash in front of me for a series of holes at a time. I know I'm capable. Just got to put in the time.
If you really want to get better, wake up early in the morning before work to practice putting for 20-30 minutes [emoji38]. With your backhand form I would just get the reps in like you said. And before your tournament try to smooth our your forehand some. It will save you strokes.

If you really want to get better, wake up early in the morning before work to practice putting for 20-30 minutes [emoji38]. With your backhand form I would just get the reps in like you said. And before your tournament try to smooth our your forehand some. It will save you strokes.

All true!

Putting practice is the one thing I can do pretty consistently. My putting game is wayyyy beyond what it was at the start of the season.

When I got more familiar with the backhand it thought me A LOT about weight shift that helped extend my putting range tremendously. No one really talks about putting form, but focusing on that for just a week or two extended my range from about 20 feet to closer to edge of the circle. Wayyyyy more confident in putting now and it's made a huge difference in my game.

Yeah your backhand is easily on the same level as 970-1000 rated players if you are comfortable with the accuracy and you are getting the comfortable distance that it looks like.

Putting is hard...

I think a lot of people forget about the scramble game too. I'm always finding myself in weird stances on the course and thinking, "I should really practice this shot", but then I don't lol. Things like touch forehand rollers, touch anny backhands, jump putt approaches, patent pending stances, kneeling putts, straddle out putts, touch overhand shots, etc.

Have you got a critique from Bradley, I'm just not sure you're tucking and spinning enough...... ;)

Honestly it confuses the hell out of me that you aren't over 900 rated.

To have the sort of backhand form that you have requires a certain level of athleticism and ability to control your body/balance etc. That "should" translate into all the other aspects of golf and especially putting.

I would love to see you playing in tournaments and know more about where you drop the shots. Literally the only thing I can think is you go for too much and end up OB a lot. Possibly you lack a short touch game which could become more of an issue lacking much of a forehand but still your rating should be better.

Can you describe your average tournament round? Where do you drop your shots?
You should be an easy 950+

Don't sweat ratings. I've played zero sanctioned tournaments in years. I still play competitively with great players. The last time I played a match play one-day tournament I pushed against 2 sponsored players. My last doubles tournament, we won.

My personal feeling is that if you enjoy tournament play and want to crank up the rating, you have to play a ton of tournaments. Full stop. Until you can get enough metrics to show your true colors, you end up just having your nervous scores on the books.

Anyway, your form is garbage! ;-)

Have you got a critique from Bradley, I'm just not sure you're tucking and spinning enough...... ;)

The most frustrating part about learning more about the backhand is watching people who DON'T know what they're talking about spout garbage as truth...

But to be honest, it's become sort of entertaining watching the cult of Bradley Walker on FB and YT lol.

Honestly it confuses the hell out of me that you aren't over 900 rated.

To have the sort of backhand form that you have requires a certain level of athleticism and ability to control your body/balance etc. That "should" translate into all the other aspects of golf and especially putting.

I would love to see you playing in tournaments and know more about where you drop the shots. Literally the only thing I can think is you go for too much and end up OB a lot. Possibly you lack a short touch game which could become more of an issue lacking much of a forehand but still your rating should be better.

Can you describe your average tournament round? Where do you drop your shots?
You should be an easy 950+

Okay. I have theories on all of this stuff.

1. YES. The understanding of the backhand has DRAMATICALLY increased the quality of my putting form. I am most confident in those two aspects of my game.

2. Spot on with your analysis. My touch game has suffered because of a two year long focus on backhand distance. Poor upshots are the reason I lose most of my strokes in tournaments. During field work I'm too often pushing 80-90% power instead of controlling distances. Because of this I'm more confident putting a disc on the pin from 300-400 feet than I am from 150-250. I recognized this and started doing some drills in the field to address that. I set up 30 foot circles in a big field at 150-200-250 feet and throw discs into them.

One of the funny things about focusing on backhand distance for so long is powering down. As I was increasing my distance, instead of throwing fast discs with slower swings I disced down.

Positive? I can throw a Nova 350 feet dead fecking straight.

Negative? I have to power down and be more controlled to throw anything under 350 feet. (or I throw something like an AviarX3 but I even push those out to 300 feet on hyzer now).

So touch is definitely my number one priority.

You're also right in that I "go for it" a lot more than I should. This means more OB. More rough. More overthrown baskets. I generally push the envelope on drives when I could easily throw something to a smart landing zone and play smart. Part of this is because I just like doing it. I know I would have a much higher rating if I played Sexton golf, but it's more fun to play Lizotte golf.

3. After playing tournaments around here for 3 or so years, and a few in other parts of the country, I'm convinced that Michigan has one of THE MOST DIFFICULT amateur fields around. It would blow your mind the quality of players in all of the Am divisions at tournaments around here. I don't talk about this too often because it sounds like an excuse, but I believe it more every time I play a tournament. If you ask someone from Michigan with playing experience they'll tell you the same thing (especially in the West and Southeast where I play almost all of my tournaments)

I know I can play 950 rated golf. I very very very rarely shoot below 920-930ish when I play "serious" rounds with my friends. I just need to put in the time and practice before the tournaments. I'm shifting focus in my practice to address my weaknesses now... I've spent about 2 years focusing on only my number 1 and 2 strengths (bh drives and putts).

Don't sweat ratings. I've played zero sanctioned tournaments in years. I still play competitively with great players. The last time I played a match play one-day tournament I pushed against 2 sponsored players. My last doubles tournament, we won.

My personal feeling is that if you enjoy tournament play and want to crank up the rating, you have to play a ton of tournaments. Full stop. Until you can get enough metrics to show your true colors, you end up just having your nervous scores on the books.

Anyway, your form is garbage! ;-)

Yeah this is also my mindset in general. I haven't had the time to play a more than 2-3 tournaments this summer and that's just not enough to get any sort of real competitive traction. I've been focusing on having fun when I have the chance to go a tournament!

Hey after all its not about the ratings if you don't want it to be. If Simon takes "Simon" lines because he feels like it, so can you. Just a matter of wanting something different out of it than the absolute lowest number.

I have the ability to throw really nice touch upshots, but I rarely dedicate the thought and focus that I should to them in a competitive setting. It's one of those things that hasn't become natural muscle memory and requires a lot of focus to execute well.

If you look at my ratings detail on PDGA, you'll see that I've been shooting 900-940 rated with more and more consistency, but there are too many really bad rounds in the 800s to drag it down.

I know it's just consistency, focus, and a more well rounded practice... I just need to dedicate the appropriate time to working on it! My hope is now that I feel good about my BH I can do just that.

I think next step is get yourself a very easy 300' FH shot. I really like throwing FH upshots in those inbetween ranges, from like 100-250'. If you get it solid and get yourself some confidence with them, you may be able to use it for those shorter ranges that are awkward for your BH even if it's a wide open shot that any line would do.

I think next step is get yourself a very easy 300' FH shot. I really like throwing FH upshots in those inbetween ranges, from like 100-250'. If you get it solid and get yourself some confidence with them, you may be able to use it for those shorter ranges that are awkward for your BH even if it's a wide open shot that any line would do.

100% true. I spent very little time working on forehand but I did see improvement on it. I need to work on it a lot more to be confident enough to use it in a round, but when I do I imagine those upshots I'm having issues with would be much much much more simple.

100% true. I spent very little time working on forehand but I did see improvement on it. I need to work on it a lot more to be confident enough to use it in a round, but when I do I imagine those upshots I'm having issues with would be much much much more simple.
I know a lot of people don't like using forehands for shorter upshots, but I still rely heavily on my LHFH for short approaches with a low glide OS disc (like a Harp) and when I need to prioritize accuracy over distance control. A FH is so valuable in the woods when a backhand would require either more space or a more awkward stance. It's so nice to be able to just lean out and give a little wrist flick. Out to 180' or so all you need is wrist action.

I'd love to get a RHFH too....

The most frustrating part about learning more about the backhand is watching people who DON'T know what they're talking about spout garbage as truth...

But to be honest, it's become sort of entertaining watching the cult of Bradley Walker on FB and YT lol.
3WY5ZfN.png

BW sure makes some wild claims. I don't know what dictionary says brace means to stop? It means to strengthen or support, you do have to brace yourself in order to pivot/change direction or deliver a blow or swing. The opposite of bracing is collapsing which many Ams do, I know I used to collapse with a passive front leg, and the idea of bracing was a lightbulb moment that turbo charged my rotation.
https://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/brace_1

"Nobody in golf or baseball uses the term brace"... do I need to go any further than citing his idol Mike Austin using "braced"? :rolleyes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxWrhTsTeho&#t=5m30s

faImZRJ.png

'Brace', or more commonly 'Block' is used as a term in Field throwing, Discus, Shotput, Javelin.

The idea of pivoting around a non-braced point doesn't work. How do you pivot and accelerate the left side around the right side if the right side is moving? As Dave Wiggins has shown us you fall on your face.

Latest posts