• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

drk_evns Backhand Form Thread

I'm realizing now the sand in my slo-mo perfectly displays "kicking the ball" with the plant foot. I push the sand and fling it forward when I plant.

My throw has never been better. Put an Aviar past 350 feet for the first time yesterday and it flew hyzer the entire time.
My discs fly differently now. The flip is later and there is less of it. I'm assuming I'm generating a lot more spin. My flight times feel like they've doubled.

The "feel" that surprised me most is the disconnection of the chest and arm. Rounding sort of "connects" everything together and it can feel powerful. In a "good" throw, it almost feels like the arm shoots ahead of the chest into the power pocket and then your chest catches up and compresses into the shoulder at the hit while your elbow extends. Does this sound familiar to you guys?

My throw has never been better. Put an Aviar past 350 feet for the first time yesterday and it flew hyzer the entire time.
My discs fly differently now. The flip is later and there is less of it. I'm assuming I'm generating a lot more spin. My flight times feel like they've doubled.

The "feel" that surprised me most is the disconnection of the chest and arm. Rounding sort of "connects" everything together and it can feel powerful. In a "good" throw, it almost feels like the arm shoots ahead of the chest into the power pocket and then your chest catches up and compresses into the shoulder at the hit while your elbow extends. Does this sound familiar to you guys?

Glad you asked this. I was practicing short effortless sidearm shots yesterday and was getting the same feeling of the arm floating forward after the plant and then shoulders catching up for the hit. When I throw full power, I don't have the same feeling.

More spin = more gyroscopic stability = more resistant to change in turn/fade.

It's also the reason why people will throw more OS discs on forehand: forehands naturally generate less spin than backhand so discs will flip easier.

Glad you asked this. I was practicing short effortless sidearm shots yesterday and was getting the same feeling of the arm floating forward after the plant and then shoulders catching up for the hit. When I throw full power, I don't have the same feeling.
Yeah.

Rounding pins the arm against the chest so there is no power pocket or redirection or float or levitation or lag into your center. Everything just slams on the gas from the get go and peters out.

On "good" throws there is a float or levitation or lag guiding the disc into the power pocket/center loading/setting up for the launch to explode the whip.

attachment.php

Yeah.

Rounding pins the arm against the chest so there is no power pocket or redirection or float or levitation or lag into your center. Everything just slams on the gas from the get go and peters out.

On "good" throws there is a float or levitation or lag guiding the disc into the power pocket/center loading/setting up for the launch to explode the whip.

attachment.php

Amazing. I know you've said this before but it definitely never clicked mentally until pretty much yesterday.

Funny that my arm figured it out before my head did.

Amazing. I know you've said this before but it definitely never clicked mentally until pretty much yesterday.

Funny that my arm figured it out before my head did.
Do you focus on pushing the disc back when it want to start moving forward?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ah I hear you. I just realized myself that my pull begins before my fromt heel hits the ground. I need to delay that

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Do you feel the weight of the disc or the disc's opposite edge constantly from the top of the backswing and ramping up/getting heavier as you are swinging through? Or do you feel the disc just continuing forward with you in that "floating" type feeling until it's time for the outward swing when you can add to its momentum?

Do you feel the weight of the disc or the disc's opposite edge constantly from the top of the backswing and ramping up/getting heavier as you are swinging through? Or do you feel the disc just continuing forward with you in that "floating" type feeling until it's time for the outward swing when you can add to its momentum?

I'll have to think about that next time I'm in the field to be sure, but I think it's the latter.

My shoulder injury has healed and I've been able to throw a few rounds in the past month. Even got a round in on Christmas Day on michigan(!), somehow it was 50 degrees.

My throw is without a doubt better than ever. Time away has been healthy for my form. Hoping to get back into better shape and get some reps in before spring tournaments start back up. I'll post some more videos of my form here when I do.

I finally learned how to throw flat (actually a slight hyzer) and I almost put two aces in on dead straight lines. I threw a fairway driver entirely across a field that I know is over 450' long just dead straight.

I still have a hard time powering down. I turn my head back away from the target even on short shots where I don't need to.

My shoulder injury has healed and I've been able to throw a few rounds in the past month. Even got a round in on Christmas Day on michigan(!), somehow it was 50 degrees.

My throw is without a doubt better than ever. Time away has been healthy for my form. Hoping to get back into better shape and get some reps in before spring tournaments start back up. I'll post some more videos of my form here when I do.

I finally learned how to throw flat (actually a slight hyzer) and I almost put two aces in on dead straight lines. I threw a fairway driver entirely across a field that I know is over 450' long just dead straight.

I still have a hard time powering down. I turn my head back away from the target even on short shots where I don't need to.
Try the opposite, and keep looking at the target throughout the whole swing. From like 150' you would be surprised what you could do with like no hips or shoulders. Just a little forward momentum into the plant and since your hit is probably really efficient that's all you need. Eagle has his front foot pointed almost at the target sometimes during his short upshots.

Disc bomber problems....

Try the opposite, and keep looking at the target throughout the whole swing. From like 150' you would be surprised what you could do with like no hips or shoulders. Just a little forward momentum into the plant and since your hit is probably really efficient that's all you need. Eagle has his front foot pointed almost at the target sometimes during his short upshots.

Disc bomber problems....

I feel like I know this is true, but every time I go to turn back, my muscle memory is fighting my brain on it. It's just practice. I need to practice short shots lol. I never give them time they deserve. It's top on my list of things to work on.