• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Drug Testing?

I say test open pros who cash. thats it. kinda like in Nascar how you have to pass inspection after the win. not just before.

Who's going to pay for the tests? Either PDGA membership costs go up, or tourney entry fees. Or big corporate sponsorship would be needed to subsidize, but I don't think the sponsorship is lacking because of a tainted image, but because of the small numbers/demographic and the company's return on investment would never pay off, or be too risky. I think costs are already too high. That would surely limit the number of players and membership in a sport that is already relatively small especially the touring pros. Getting mainstream attention is more of a numbers game, than a clean game but perhaps the appearance of being clean.

I was listening to the Mike Wise show talking about the PGA testing and basically concluded its a lose-lose situation, damned if you do, damned if you don't. They had some touring pro who admitted to being stoned and drunk on tour and went to rehab and said most the PGA tour was also getting stoned. The PGA doesn't fully disclose their test results, and can hand out fines and suspensions at their own discretion. So they maybe covering up a rampant rec "problem", but they say they don't have a PEDs or doping problem. If they fully disclosed the test result they might lose half the tour. If half the tour is suspended, who's going to watch it?

Just losing Tiger Woods to injury or whatever in tourneys killed TV ratings in half. What happened to MLB ratings/attendence post balco, or the Tour de France post Lance? Most all sports have drug and doping issues and they will always be one step ahead of the tests. These sports are anything but clean, but hey they "test".

Surprisingly alcohol is not a banned substance in the NCAA or IOC(only rifle sports). Caffeine is semi-banned substance, drink too much coffee or soda and whack.

Golf.com:
But the main purpose of the policy is to give the impression that Tour golfers are as pure as the first green before the first group of the day plays through.

In other words, the policy is for us, not the players, even though they're the ones who have to endure the indignity of urinating in a cup in front of the tester whenever they are selected for a random sample.

That's what Dr. Charles Yesalis said when the testing program was first announced. Yesalis, a Penn State professor who has devoted his professional life to the study of drugs in sports, was once a leading advocate for testing. In more recent years he's concluded that testing urine, at least for now, gives nothing but the false sense that we know what athletes are putting in their bodies. With any kind of informed medical advice, athletes can take masking agents or cycle on and off drugs when they're not playing.
Read more: http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1934231,00.html#ixzz1UpexJ2Yl

comparing disc golf to nascar, HECK YEA MAN !!!!

not really. just saying that a lot of the drug use goes on after the rd starts. so it would be pointless to test before and not after. cost is not much if you are spot check cashing pros at majors. mouth swabs are cheap and no lab tests are necessary. plus you could fine the pros who fail and use that money to pay for the tests. :thmbup:

will roids make me throw farther?
No, but they'll make sitting more painful. ;)

I really hope the PDGA has some sort of plan for drug testing, but I don't think they should be implementing it yet. I'd guess that the benefits would be too small for the users and the cost would be too high for the PDGA for it to be worth while. I don't doubt that if DG continues to grow and we start getting some real sponsorships and big payouts for tournaments that they'll become necessary, but I doubt that we're there yet.

IF they can buy ganj they can pay fines.

I don't even have to read the entire thread to know I don't like you. Why the hell would the PDGA start drug testing people for marijuana? That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, if you want to test for something test for performance enhancing ****, not medicine.

Should they start testing for Aspirin and Nyquil too?

not really. just saying that a lot of the drug use goes on after the rd starts. so it would be pointless to test before and not after. cost is not much if you are spot check cashing pros at majors. mouth swabs are cheap and no lab tests are necessary. plus you could fine the pros who fail and use that money to pay for the tests. :thmbup:

Oral swabs aren't that reliable especially for PEDs, testing if done should be state-of-art and analyzed in an independent lab. This also opens up a can of worms regarding lawsuits. Which means...even more money is needed.

I find it funny people really believe anyone in disc golf is/would benefit anything from PEDs or that anyone is really using them. It just seems like such a waste of money to spend on these tests to catch one person maybe which is all the PGA has caught during its testing, but was related to his heart condition. The only people making money on this endeavor are the drug testing companies! You really think you will benefit whatsoever from a testing policy? Come'on man!

OK...everybody after your round go to the porta-potty and pee in the cup while big Joe watches.

If people are worried about alcohol use during play, why? Its not banned by the NCAA or the IOC because they found it doesn't enhance performance. I doubt a test would be needed to find out if a player had been drinking. If it's illegal in the park and its seen, it should be reported. There are 2 or more other players on the same card, and it should be their responsibility to report that player if they are in violation of rules. If they act like buffoons, they should at least get courtesy violations. Some people may be stealthy and get away with things, but its not giving them an advantage. Testing just seems to take away from the integrity of the game and everyone involved. What next...cameras or officials on every card or hole to make sure everyone marks their lie correctly and test disc weights before throwing?

If any company is going to become a major sponsor, I'd say it most likely to be an alcohol company. Come on out to the Miller Lite World Championships. They would be most likely to get their return on their investment based on the demographics. This bodes well for the (BWDGA) Beer & Whiskey Disc Golf Association should the PDGA start testing. If I ever see the Morgan Stanley USDGC, it will be the day I die.

youre all begging for drama where there need not be any. thats all testing does. if they start doing that then they might as well test the weight of all your discs to make sure their legal (i guarantee alot of you are throwing illegal discs). and follow the other rules that would require much larger staffs and control. its not cost effective, the man power doesnt exist yet, and only a small minority even want this to begin with. part of the draw for people to disc golf is the relaxed attitude.
maybe one day but actions like drug testing will only slow progression. plus in several states some medicine is legal. its something the pDGA probably realizes is a slippery slope and to just enforce without really enforcing is the best method as it grows for now. when payouts are huge and theres a large touring pro field and its on the media i can see drug testing. the rules are setup for it now anyway.

If any company is going to become a major sponsor, I'd say it most likely to be an alcohol company. Come on out to the Miller Lite World Championships. They would be most likely to get their return on their investment based on the demographics.

totally agree. thats who they need to target for investment. should get a cig company to sponsor the worlds. lol

I don't even have to read the entire thread to know I don't like you. Why the hell would the PDGA start drug testing people for marijuana? That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, if you want to test for something test for performance enhancing ****, not medicine.

I know him and I don't like him. I've even smoked with him...:sick:

what??

It is not really medicine. I usually agree with your posts, but that herb 'might' be medicine for Parkinsons patients and a few others, but it is not medicine any more than wine or beer is. Drug testing for this sport is nuts, but let's not carried away. Medical pot is a political issue, not a DG issue. Lets keep those issues where they should be.

It is not really medicine. I usually agree with your posts, but that herb 'might' be medicine for Parkinsons patients and a few others, but it is not medicine any more than wine or beer is. Drug testing for this sport is nuts, but let's not carried away. Medical pot is a political issue, not a DG issue. Lets keep those issues where they should be.

Ask all the cancer patients if they think it's medicine. We should probably just give up this topic before it's locked. Matter fact, in before lock.

Uses

Ask all the cancer patients if they think it's medicine. We should probably just give up this topic before it's locked. Matter fact, in before lock.

Sure, cancer patients too. But the people that want to claim medical use seem to be 25 and really healthy. Let's keep reality separate from addicts. Why does DG have to have anything to do with medical marijuana at all? Two very different issues. This is a DG site, not an I favor medical marijuana site.

Sure, cancer patients too. But the people that want to claim medical use seem to be 25 and really healthy. Let's keep reality separate from addicts. Why does DG have to have anything to do with medical marijuana at all? Two very different issues. This is a DG site, not an I favor medical marijuana site.

You said it wasn't medicine. It is.

images

Latest posts