• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Eagle McMahon's Shoulder impingement

Forehand is just an anatomically unnatural useage of our body even when done correctly. It's asking a lot of your arm in the long run to constantly pump out 400ft+ bombs. Some people are just more limber and have better genetics that also comes into play.

Even the top powerlifters and Olympic lifters have said candidly that there is no point in doing super heavy deadlifts (if you aren't competing) because of the high risk of harming your spine and lumbar region. It's just simply not worth it.

Any reported neck injuries related to forehand throws? I'm still surprised we haven't heard Sarak Hokum having neck injuries. Her head/neck/spine curves almost sideways when she throws.

Any reported neck injuries related to forehand throws? I'm still surprised we haven't heard Sarak Hokum having neck injuries. Her head/neck/spine curves almost sideways when she throws.

I wouldn't be surprised if she has some sort of scoliosis going on in the spine for leaning over so often for her hyzer release.

I don't recall what Eagle did specifically before the DGPT championship?

Ultiworld reporting a potential labrum tear now? Did he just go for rehab last year? No surgery?

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/live...ecting-labrum-tear-undergoes-mri-on-shoulder/

He's talking about playing again soon. I'd rather see him sit out and try to get back to 100% (as close as possible) than continue to risk further injury or failure to properly heal. Too many athletes have pushed the injury envelope and never returned to form. Would hate for this to happen to Eagle.

I don't recall what Eagle did specifically before the DGPT championship?
He was doing a video for YouTube and tried some kind of awkward throw, maybe a chicken-wing variant but I don't recall exactly, and caused some damage. Whatever it was, watching it, I recall feeling like it was a pretty innocuous thing.

I recall thinking of it like a football player injuring his knee doing a flip celebrating a sack. There's no reason to expect an ACL tear doing something you probably do all the time f'ing around, it isn't particularly explosive or crazy, but it was just awkward enough that it caused an injury.

EDIT: Here it is, it was in the link in the article you linked: https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/live...-miss-dgpt-championship-with-shoulder-injury/ - It was a 360-forehand into a net.

So it is as dislocation according to his statement.

But based on personal experience it kind of sounds like he had/has structural issues in the joint support elements—the bits that keep the shoulder in place. This injury doesn't heal on its own.

So it is as dislocation according to his statement.

But based on personal experience it kind of sounds like he had/has structural issues in the joint support elements—the bits that keep the shoulder in place. This injury doesn't heal on its own.

At the Las Vegas Challenge, the commentators said Eagle wasn't throwing forehands except for short approach shots and even those were rare. He was seen throwing some shots lefty to get the same flight as a forehand would. So, while he's still throwing backhands, he seems to be taking it easy on the forehand throws.

as a certified personal trainer I have to recommend every disc golfer to work on their shoulder mobility, range of motion, and strength!

high pulls, face pulls, incline bench press, seated shoulder press and lateral raises should DEFINITELY be in your workout routine.

as a certified personal trainer I have to recommend every disc golfer to work on their shoulder mobility, range of motion, and strength!

high pulls, face pulls, incline bench press, seated shoulder press and lateral raises should DEFINITELY be in your workout routine.

as a person with shoulder issues since I was a teenager, I'm gonna say incline bench is one of the worst exercises one can do for shoulders.

as a person with shoulder issues since I was a teenager, I'm gonna say incline bench is one of the worst exercises one can do for shoulders.

I didn't list these for someone with a history of shoulder injuries. My comment is referring to preventative measures. Incline bench is one of the most effective movements for front delt development.

Eagle said a day or two ago that he was scheduling an MRI because he suspected a torn labrum. Is the new word that it's just dislocated?

I'm curious why there was no initial MRI done at time of injury.

I believe I read somewhere that typically if your shoulder dislocates the labrum gets damaged in the process. Labrum adds stability to the joint, so if it's damaged that helps contribute to future dislocations being likely.

I think the general consensus is to sit the time out now to get healthy and not reinjure it, but let's be honest. Does the fact that his contract expires at the end of this season have any bearing on his decision to try to come back soon?

I'm curious why there was no initial MRI done at time of injury.

I'm guessing because disc golfers are not employees and likely have high-deductible health insurance if any at all.

Imaging is not cheap in this for-profit medical wasteland that we live in and it is probably easy for someone who is young and healthy to gamble that they will heal with rest and good nutrition.

I didn't list these for someone with a history of shoulder injuries. My comment is referring to preventative measures. Incline bench is one of the most effective movements for front delt development.

Incline bench causes shoulder problems. There is no structural support for the joint at that angle.

I'm guessing because disc golfers are not employees and likely have high-deductible health insurance if any at all.

Imaging is not cheap in this for-profit medical wasteland that we live in and it is probably easy for someone who is young and healthy to gamble that they will heal with rest and good nutrition.

Eagle is for-profit as well, yet I concede your point. We just paid $2600 for 3 months of medicine for my epileptic daughter.

I believe I read somewhere that typically if your shoulder dislocates the labrum gets damaged in the process. Labrum adds stability to the joint, so if it's damaged that helps contribute to future dislocations being likely.

I think the general consensus is to sit the time out now to get healthy and not reinjure it, but let's be honest. Does the fact that his contract expires at the end of this season have any bearing on his decision to try to come back soon?

It might, but if he's hampered by injury, and his performance suffers, that won't help his cause when it comes contract time.

as a person with shoulder issues since age 20, seated shoulder presses are also rough for someone with shoulder issues.

Latest posts