• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Eagle McMahon's Shoulder impingement

As explained earlier, those were exercises for preventative measures, not rehabilitative.

Ok, thanks for clarification. It definitely wasn't clear from your original post and I felt need to comment since I would hate to see anyone further eff up their shoulder based on rando advice on a message board, lol. .

I also don't make it a habit of reading every single comment in a thread before responding to a comment. That sounds like waaaaaay too much work, lolol.

As explained earlier, those were exercises for preventative measures, not rehabilitative.

Yeah, I was thinking about it. My issues with incline were high school football off season. Im sure everything we were doing was poor form. Our coaches weren't great in the weight room.

Hey, don't look at me. Wasn't my original comment, I'm not a medical professional, never played one on TV, and it's been more than a few nights since I've slept at a Holiday Inn Express. ;)

Hey, don't look at me. Wasn't my original comment, I'm not a medical professional, never played one on TV, and it's been more than a few nights since I've slept at a Holiday Inn Express. ;)

True. I should have replied to bholy8 to acknowledge my personal experience doesn't mean it's true for everyone.

as a person with shoulder issues since age 20, seated shoulder presses are also rough for someone with shoulder issues.

again, I was referring to preventative measures and was not talking about people with pre-existing shoulder problems.

Yeah, I was thinking about it. My issues with incline were high school football off season. Im sure everything we were doing was poor form. Our coaches weren't great in the weight room.

1) incline bench is best with dumbbells not barbell.

2) the incline should be fairly minimal. A lot of times I see the set up angle at over 30degrees which is far from optimal

3) most football coaches aren't going to address shoulders rolling forward vs. pinned back...and they often do not address the massive levels of ego lifting happening on exercises that should be done as lighter auxiliary work.

I didn't take any offense at your comment and appreciate you taking the opportunity to reflect on your experiences.
I just wanted to provide some clarity.

1) incline bench is best with dumbbells not barbell.

2) the incline should be fairly minimal. A lot of times I see the set up angle at over 30degrees which is far from optimal

3) most football coaches aren't going to address shoulders rolling forward vs. pinned back...and they often do not address the massive levels of ego lifting happening on exercises that should be done as lighter auxiliary work.

I didn't take any offense at your comment and appreciate you taking the opportunity to reflect on your experiences.
I just wanted to provide some clarity.

thanks. I'm glad you saw my post.

As a person with almost a 10 year training history, a lot of interest (amateur) in biomechanics and scientific strength literature and a history of shoulder issues: almost anything you do can be terrible for your shoulders, technique and individual differences matter a lot more.

Heck, I've tweaked my shoulder doing deadlifts. Follow best practices, don't do things that hurt and build up all the muscles around your shoulder joint, get help from a physical therapist if it's a serious issue.

I'd separated my shoulder something like a dozen times. So when I took up disc golf, I pretty much immediately tore my labrum.

I won't recommend specific exercises, but a mix of front raises, lateral raises, reverse flys, standing presses, ski kickbacks, the thing where you stand flat against the wall and raise your arms, pushups, and a few other things has made a mind blowing difference to how much I can throw without pain.

I'd separated my shoulder something like a dozen times. So when I took up disc golf, I pretty much immediately tore my labrum.

I won't recommend specific exercises, but a mix of front raises, lateral raises, reverse flys, standing presses, ski kickbacks, the thing where you stand flat against the wall and raise your arms, pushups, and a few other things has made a mind blowing difference to how much I can throw without pain.

I had shoulder surgery in 2003 to reattach a ligament. My PT wasn't too bad, but there were several folks rehabbing from rotator cuff repair. That seemed really rough and painful.

As a person with almost a 10 year training history, a lot of interest (amateur) in biomechanics and scientific strength literature and a history of shoulder issues: almost anything you do can be terrible for your shoulders, technique and individual differences matter a lot more.

Heck, I've tweaked my shoulder doing deadlifts. Follow best practices, don't do things that hurt and build up all the muscles around your shoulder joint, get help from a physical therapist if it's a serious issue.
I think this is the reason for the advice above regarding dumbbells vs barbells. A dumbbell is gonna allow you to lift in a stable fashion for your particular build, versus a barbell that is going to force your arms into a position that may not be ideal for you.

I think this is the reason for the advice above regarding dumbbells vs barbells. A dumbbell is gonna allow you to lift in a stable fashion for your particular build, versus a barbell that is going to force your arms into a position that may not be ideal for you.

Yes! allows an independent range of motion that is not coerced and also limits ability to add to heavy a load because dumbbells aren't racked up at the start of the lift like a barbell is.

A thought that I just had, that I'm sure is total coincidence.

Not a ton of injuries at the top of disc golf. The last 3 major injuries that I can think of --- Simon, Eagle, Gavin Rathbun. All throwing Discmania.

A thought that I just had, that I'm sure is total coincidence.

Not a ton of injuries at the top of disc golf. The last 3 major injuries that I can think of --- Simon, Eagle, Gavin Rathbun. All throwing Discmania.

You're not wrong.

Also, Tristian Tanner was injured last year. Uliberry is partially injured or tweaked right now. Didn't Paul McBeth put terribly a few years ago with a back injury?

Last edited:
I injure my shoulder sleeping…

Sadly, I resemble this remark. :(

Apparently 30 years of swimming and water polo takes a toll on the shoulder joints.

Wish I had learned how to strengthen my shoulders sooner, but otherwise no regrets.

You're not wrong.

Also, Tristian Tanner was injured last year. Uliberry is partially injured or tweaked right now. Didn't Paul McBeth put terribly a few years ago with a back injury?

Zach Melton had ACL surgery at some point during COVID. And PMcB had some kind of ankle/foot injury a few years ago.

I was more focused on arm/shoulder injuries that put top 30'ish players down. AJ Risley had some kind of injury in recent years, too.

Latest posts