• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Essence

My only experience with Leo3 is a Lisa F tour series. Threw it tonight with comparables. It's pretty rad. Def more LSS than Hatchet, maybe a bit more than Essence. I just love the Essence, idk. All are excellent imo.

I just picked up a Neo Essence and it's flippier than I'd expect, but I probably have some OAT in my BH. It's like a -3, .5 for me. I'd actually like a more OS one, but that's probably a Glo Passion for me.

I'll fire it off tomorrow. Excited!

So it's not me, it's my discs.

I threw yours once and it was instantly right and into the ground. And ran into another guy that had a Pink 171g, and it also went straight right and into the ground. Need to mess around with it more, but so far, it's almost exactly like my Maul. Glidey and long, but instantly turns right, and have to figure out the hyzer angle to throw it on, to get that soft forward pushing turnover shape.

Thanks again brother, I'll let you know soon if I'm going to keep it or send it back. VERY appreciative of you doing this for me!

I'm bagging two Essences right now. First one is a pink Neo, 173 grams. Bought it when the discs was released. Really well seasoned and flippy. Flips over to the ground from steep hyzer. This disc is really good in tail wind, just keeps going right for ever. That's the only reason why I am bagging it.

The second one is way more beefier. More like Discmanias CD2. Flies like 9, 5, -0.5, 2. I don't know what plastic it is but it's bright red and feels softer and gummier than the Neo one. Maybe Lux plastic? Weights 168 grams. It has really big dome and some shoulder. I have to force it over to keep it turning right but it still always fades back. I am hoping this one flies true to the flight numbers when it gets beaten in.

Many of my friends are also bagging one or two Essences and the stabilities varies between the two mentioned above.

I'm bagging two Essences right now. First one is a pink Neo, 173 grams. Bought it when the discs was released. Really well seasoned and flippy. Flips over to the ground from steep hyzer. This disc is really good in tail wind, just keeps going right for ever. That's the only reason why I am bagging it.

The second one is way more beefier. More like Discmanias CD2. Flies like 9, 5, -0.5, 2. I don't know what plastic it is but it's bright red and feels softer and gummier than the Neo one. Maybe Lux plastic? Weights 168 grams. It has really big dome and some shoulder. I have to force it over to keep it turning right but it still always fades back. I am hoping this one flies true to the flight numbers when it gets beaten in.

Many of my friends are also bagging one or two Essences and the stabilities varies between the two mentioned above.

Is the red one from the 2021 Xmas mystery box?

I'm at sea level now. I usually throw in Denver. Way diff disc. Funny how that goes. Teebirds are still pretty much Teebirds. Funny how some discs change a lot but others less so.

I'm at sea level now. I usually throw in Denver. Way diff disc. Funny how that goes. Teebirds are still pretty much Teebirds. Funny how some discs change a lot but others less so.

I noticed a ton of difference in discs like Destroyers and Ballista pros going from CO to TX.

I usually don't get much turn on a Destroyer in CO, but in TX it was almost flippy.

Try the Nate Perkins Zen model if you want more stability. Pretty stamp too.

Is the NP Zen Meta Essence more of a straight flyer, or still under stable? Just not as flippy as the regular Neo versions? If you could give yours flight #'s, what would you rate the Meta version?

Is the NP Zen Meta Essence more of a straight flyer, or still under stable? Just not as flippy as the regular Neo versions? If you could give yours flight #'s, what would you rate the Meta version?

Definitely straighter (out of the box) than the Neo plastic. I'd say it sits somewhere around 8|6|-1|2 , but mine has broken into turn a little bit more. I also throw at 3,500 ft so not sure how much of a difference that makes. I bag both a beat in Neo for turnover drives as well as the Zen for straight shots.

So I picked up a 174g Meta Zen Essence, and guess what?! It's MORE U/S than either of my lighter Neo plastic Essence's, hahaha! Go figure, the stiffer more durable plastic is less stable???

But... it's THE BEST disc in my bag now other than my Svea and Hex. It absolutely BOMBS and is so easy to get long straight throws. It's like being able to channel Simon using his FD in the woods, haha. One of those super silky glidey, ever so slightly moving right throws he's known for that always end up so perfect.

On a slight hyzer, it does EXACTLY what I've always wanted out of a FW disc.... tons of glide, pops up from the hyzer, starts slowly gliding right forever, keeps going, and then right near the end during the last 20-40', it starts gently coming back. I'd say it ends up about 5-10' right of center! It's a MAGICAL disc!

Then on a steeper hyzer angle, it's everything you'd want from a hyzer flip disc. Flips up to flat-ish after 50' or so, then goes dead straight forever and then has a soft fade at the end.

Still haven't had a chance to throw it on a flat or any angles to see how it works on turnover shots, but I'm assuming I'm going to love what I can do with it if how it's flown so far is any indication!

This is by far my favorite FW disc ever, and I've only practiced with it, and played with it once. It's that good. And believe it or not, the plastic actually feels MORE pliable then either of my Neo's! Those are stiffer, and this one has a nice pliable feel to it, like a Kastaplast K1 type feel.

It also might be the longest disc in my bag on a normal through at this point. My Wraiths can go a little farther if I really tag one and put it on the right angle/line, but it takes a little more work to get that. The Essence went exactly where I thought it would every time I threw it this weekend, but 30-50' farther than I thought it would go! It seriously has every bit of 6 glide if not more! The only other disc I've thrown with this much true glide is a Maul and River. But it feels much more in control than those two.

This thing is gorgeous in person as well, with that swirly color changing Meta plastic! It's a pink version and goes back and fourth between pink and this dark teal like color. With sparkles in it as well. EASY to find on the course and a perfect addition to my all Pink/White bag I'm buidling.

Couldn't be happier with this disc and may have to find another one as a back up, as this thing is just too good to be true.

Latest posts