• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ethics of RE-RATING Courses???

tomjulio

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
So now that I have more and more courses under the belt, with truly a perspective of what 4.0 to 5.0 courses are, and what the lower end courses are, I see that in the beginning I gave some courses higher ratings than what I would give them now. Especially those in the 3.0 to 4.0 area.

What are thoughts on whether one should go back and adjust those numbers to present day perspective?

Last edited:
Absolutely change them.

People will also get to re-vote on if your review was helpful.

If they have dramatically changed plus or minus one standard deviation then I say change it. If not, then keep it as is. Just my opinion.

I have changed a few myself. I went through my list of courses and looked to see if I was being consistent and if I had grouped similar courses at around the same level... I say fix em. Especially if you feel your old ratings are wrong.
DSCJNKY

Feel free to add an update to let people know of any changes, but I wouldn't necessarily change the score.

I see know reason not to make the reviews as accurate and informative as possible. If you think your criterial early on was "skewed" due to inexperience, by all means edit and adjust accordingly - as long as you really feel the course is a 3 rather than a 4 (or whatever the case may be).

If you really feel the need to, you could even add a little ditty like," I originally rated this course a 4.0, but after playing more courses, I realize it's not quite deserving of that rating."

What I'd really like would be some sort of feedback so that when people vote your review as not helpful, you could see some comments about what they did not like or disagreed with. I genuinely try to be honest, objective and accurate in my reviews. If someones doesn't like it, I'd like to know why - might help me write better reviews.

Last edited:
Definitely re-rate them! No need to update the review IMO. In fact, I wish everyone reviewed their ratings list periodically and updated their ratings as they saw fit (especially as their experience grew).

I love to browse people's lists and sort on their ratings to see how they compare to mine to see how their preferences stack up. Seeing how people rank their list of courses played is always interesting and fun for me.

^I like this idea cause it shows a time line between your first n second review ... not only you but other could learn a lot by reading two reviews a couple months or years apart

I would absolutely change the text and score of my review if I had more experience and/or played the course again! Experience is THE BEST way to accurately judge, compare, review, and rate courses!

Re-rate by all means. Make an explicit section called "UPDATE" under the Other Thoughts section.

i have updated text, but not the score...i feel some of my first were a little high, but realistically i wouldn't lower any of them more than a half, so why bother?

i have updated text, but not the score...i feel some of my first were a little high, but realistically i wouldn't lower any of them more than a half, so why bother?

Because it'll only take 5 minutes. So why not, especially if you think some of your ratings are inaccurate?

Half point makes a big difference in some course's average ratings.

well, i guess that hinges on what you define as a "big difference", but a half-disc spread on any single rating for a course with ten reviews (which is, i think, currently the threshold for inclusion in the top 10) moves a course's average .05 discs. difference? yes. big difference? i don't think so.

I have changed one that I had already reviewed when I first started playing.

If you get more experience under your belt and realize that a course just isn't what you initially thought it was, change it. Especially if you decide to give a more detailed review. Nothing chaps my ass more then a review that says=

Pros - It was awesome. Lots of trees and no water.

Cons - I lost a disc on a hole that sucked. I didn't like the fallen trees.

If you're going to take the time to write a review for a course, then actually review it! Don't just spit out sentence fragments and incomplete thoughts.

Yay for my 100th post!

I say change them. Make them as accurate as possible. With experience one see things a little more clearly.

It's just like when you were in a small town high school and you thought (insert name here) was just about the hottest girl on the planet, a 10 if you ever saw one. Then you went off to that college/big city and realized that the high school queen wasn't a 10, she was in reality, just an 8.

Last edited:
Agree, change them. Not only does ones judegement change with more experience, but alot of couses get better with time. More pin locations, better maintanace and more vegetation growth for example. Also been to a few decent 9 hole couses that have added 9 more holes and that has definitely made me change my opinion on the courses.

I say change them. Make them as accurate as possible. With experience one see things a little more clearly.

It's just like when you were in a small town high school and you thought (insert name here) was just about the hottest girl on the planet, a 10 if you ever saw one. Then you went off to that college/big city and realized that the high school queen wasn't a 10, she was in reality, just an 8.

Great analogy!