• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever had a top-notch public course to yourself?

I've played many solo rounds at North Water Tower just after sunrise when I had the entire course to myself. It is very relaxing and enjoyable. I've had many of my best scores at these times.

True story: my brother and I had Morley Field all to ourselves (along with maybe four other groups) on a beautiful Tuesday afternoon. How'd this happen? It was during the San Diego fires caused by the Santa Ana's in October 2003, we played the round wearing surgical masks to avoid breathing the ash.

I've had Delaveaga to myself once or twice when I blew off work early up in the valley.

I think pretty much every casual round at Hawk Hollow would qualify for this. Definitely a top notch course.

many good courses arent busy if you play at the right time

I love playing my home course (Bellamy Park, Dover, NH) alone. It's always so peaceful out there, just me and the squirrels and birds. THe best was when Hurricane Irene came through (by then a tropical storm) and I managed to get out there for a round. I only used my XXX and Pig and still had wind issues! Even with trees literally falling around me it was a cool experience.

True story: my brother and I had Morley Field all to ourselves (along with maybe four other groups) on a beautiful Tuesday afternoon. How'd this happen? It was during the San Diego fires caused by the Santa Ana's in October 2003, we played the round wearing surgical masks to avoid breathing the ash.

That would be a weird sight, Morley without 20 people waiting at the 1st tee and a couple groups on every hole. During those fires it took us 2.5 hours to get from north county to the airport to pick up my mom, that was some nasty stuff.

True story: my brother and I had Morley Field all to ourselves (along with maybe four other groups) on a beautiful Tuesday afternoon.

For anyone who's played at Morley, they'll agree that this is probably the most astounding post on this thread so far :thmbup:

Though it may not be considered a "top notch" course, I've played a solo round at Firefighters Park in Troy, MI. I got up early on a weekend and headed out and I was the only one on the course when I got there. It turned out to be a pretty zen round, I scored even, best score I've had there yet. I enjoyed the round quite a bit!

Every Saturday morning at sun up, while everyone else is still sleeping off their Friday evening buzz, I go out the the park and have it all to myself. It's like no other tranquility that I can describe!!

I often play early during the week on disc golf trips. I can remember playing Idlewild, Beauty and Beast, and Winthrop with just me and my disc golf pals, to name a few.
Semi-private courses like Flip and Highbridge I have also played all alone.

Played Winter Park all alone, too, but in a 40 degree torrential downpour on a Friday morning in June!

When we played Lake Bistaneau in Louisiana we had it to ourselves, we started on 9 and a guy we know walked up and joined us. It was funny because my group was from the Dallas area and the guy was a Dallas area guy who had moved away, RustyP.

When my wife and I played Beaver Ranch in CO, we were alone but it was a monday morning.

I played a round today at a local course (Bud Pell at Ross Farm) It's a newer course with hills, meadows, woods, and farmland...very scenic. There was not one other soul on the course. It's not like it was snowing or pouring down rain, it was 66 degrees and a beautiful spring-like day!
I know some folks don't like to play solo rounds, but to me,
it was amazing out there. I get plenty of rounds in with friends, and I prefer to play with people, but it's a pretty cool feeling to have a nice course all to yourself. Just you, the birds, and the game.
Anyone else had this experience?

My wife and I arrived at dawn to play the Renaissance Gold layout last fall in Charlotte, NC. We patiently waited till the ranger opened up the gates for us, then started our round. I never saw another discgolfer till we were almost completely finished. That is most definitely a world championship caliber course, and yea, it was pretty cool to have it all to myself for a couple of hours.

Many

I generally go during the week and as early as possible. At least on half the courses I have played, I have been there at least once with nobody else (playing DG) there. These include Nockamixon, Moraine, French Creek, Quaker's Challenge, Codorus, Patapsco, Iron Hill, Indian Rock, Walnut Creek - I'll let you decide which ones are top notch. I played the Paw Paw courses alone but they are technically private (although you can just show up and play). I have played Seneca Creek >200 times but never been the only group there.

It might not be top notch, but I live a quarter mile away and really enjoy my time there, and you sound like a snob.

Easy there cowboy. FWIW, your post is not the only one that ignored the "top-notch" part of the OP in this thread.

I asked the question because I have been to Wheeler and I do not believe that it is a top-notch DG course, which was what the OP asked for in this thread.

I was simply seeking more details on why you consider it to be "top-notch". I just looked at your list of courses played. I think your POV of Wheeler may change after playing some of the courses on your wish list.

I consider Fairfield DGC to be one of my favorite courses b/c it's my home course and I have spent more time there than all other DG courses combined, but there is no way that I would consider it to be a top-notch course.

I apologize for any confusion with my previous post.

Latest posts