• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever walked off a course?

The only time I left because of boredom was when I played Brahan Springs in Huntsville, AL. Almost every hole was in this thicket of pine trees on a flat piece of land. It seemed like every drive was essentially the same.

I have done it three times and don't plan on doing it again unless it's an emergency. Once I ran out of daylight and didn't have a flashlight, once due to a heavy downpour that did't let up, and once due to a poor round (wasn't going good and a lost disc put me over the line). I hate not finishing a round so now I check weather alot and carry a flashlight in the bag. I believe my mental game has improved greatly and don't let poor throwing get in my head anymore like I did during the round I left on.

Twice in one day in Austin, TX. First at Searight park, because it was set up as seawrong and I could not figure it out, plus it kind of sucked anyway. Just getting back to my car was a little hard on this course (pre-DG activities may also have contributed). Then I went to Circle C, which I could also not figure out. Both courses had a map up front but no hole signs or arrows marking the next tee. On the plus side I played Pease Park later, which totally made up for the other two.

I also had to walk off cedar hills in raleigh once because of a flash flood- the path was turning into a creek and I thought it would be a little too ridiculous to drown to death on a DG course.

Nope... don't think I've ever done that.
Okay... thinking about it a bit more I do remember two times we got chased off the course by lightning. Only twice out of 446 so far is pretty good.

Sure. But only because of time. Too dark or some important appointment. But we try to play without distractions like having to be somewhere else. Sunday was a perfect example. Went to see Hornsby Saturday night and had tickets to Government Mule on sunday night. Hornsby was awesome show, BTW. After the Hornsby show we went to an after show party. In bed around 4AM. Slept in very late and then did our normal 27 at Joseph Davis SP Sunday. Got home at about 6. Too beat for the show. The important thing in this little anecdote is the free golf was much more important that the money spent for concert tickets. We do have our priorities straight. :D

I walked off Morley field last month after paying my $3 dollars and waiting 20 minutes per hole. I could only handle 3 holes. The round would have taken 6 hours. That course is jammed packed all day. No fun. Too many people.

I know the feeling, that's why I usually play Morley in the mornings before it get crazy packed.

Last weekend we walked after nine holes due to mosquitoes. They were eating us alive, glad we didn't get malaria..

Being from the midwest I certainly know about vicious blood sucking animals, but they weren't going to stop me. I returned with two kinds of the strongest bug sprays and a mosquitoe net. Only then was it tolerable to play the course.

Being from the midwest I certainly know about vicious blood sucking animals, but they weren't going to stop me. I returned with two kinds of the strongest bug sprays and a mosquitoe net. Only then was it tolerable to play the course.

Me too. Bug spray is your friend.

Ive come close after i lost 2 wraiths on 3 holes, but i kept playing, and wasent happy, but i couldnet leave my friends there lol

I walked off one time because the rain/hail got insane. I dealt with it for about 10 mins. then it got worse. Peace out.
Warm Cognac here I come.

I walked off one because I was caught in the middle of a big group Monthly...at least there was another course 2 miles away.

There are several times where I've had to leave in the middle of a round. Mostly because I've gotten an emergency phone call from work. If I'm not on call, I'll change my voice mail greeting to say that I'm golfing and will return your call later.

Now just last week I walked off of a course in another state because the locals had let the course get too rundown. I had already made two trips to the trach can and during the third I decided that it just wasn't worth it.

Also, I've cruised by a course with the intent of playing and found it to be too crowded. Usually I just go to a different course.

I only quit a round once.
I was throwing so poorly that it just wasn't fun anymore.
I didn't throw a fit or stomp off, I just politely apologized and made some excuse about the time.
But that is very rare for me.

Yeah, I walked off Mayo Park in LeSueur Mn because I couldn't find the next hole or pin or much of anything except a suspicios wet area in an fairway. There were baskets, or 2 x 4s that were numbered sorta, so I think it was a course.

Last edited:

Latest posts