• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever walked off the course before?

GoobyPls

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I did today, for the first time. Was playing a casual round at the local muni pitch-and-putt. I was having an unusually bad round, and came to the 14th hole, the shortest one I've ever played, a 174' putter throw into a window over a murky pond. That's a standstill putter throw for me normally, and a gimme birdie. This time, my Yeti Aviar somehow started flipping, hit a tree, and dropped straight into the pond. No chance of recovering it. Considering that I didn't have anything else in my bag slower than a Roc3, I just cut my losses.

Have you ever just given up on a round?

Yes, but I have anger management issues...

:hfive:

I used to. I've walked off in the middle of a PDGA round before. Completely frustrated with myself. Took me some time to phase that all out and train my mind to look forward to recovering from mistakes. Whether that's losing a disc or playing badly. Bounce back. Move on.

Ive never quit on a tournament round, but I've been awfully close to...

... I bet some cardmates have wished I would've a couple times...

I've never quit a round, although i've felt like it a few times.There are exceptions, like being unprepared for weather, or safety concerns, injury, that type of thing. But never for playing poorly. When that happens, I always tell myself "I'm playing so sh**** right now, I will probably get a stupid ace on the next hole". I've never gotten that ace, but i've never quit a round, either. I think if you start quitting things, even a bad disc golf round, it can creep into other parts of your life. It can make it easier to justify quitting other things when the going gets tough.

Like Jimmy V said "Don't give up, don't ever give up"

I've never walked off a tournament round. I've withdrawn between rounds due to injuries, but I've completed every tourney round I've started.

I've left plenty of casual rounds short for a variety of reasons. I can't recall quitting a round due to frustration with my play, but plenty of times due to frustration with the course/situation. I've been to a couple courses where we've walked off because we couldn't find the next tee after struggling to find the hole we'd just played...bad/no signs, no one else around to ask, not even the appearance of well worn paths to suggest we were headed in the right direction. Couple other times I've left heavily congested courses because the waits were interminable (and playing through wasn't an option).

Practice is a different story. I'll skip holes or pick up a drive and not finish all the time. So if I'm out alone on the course, not playing a full 18 (or 36) isn't unusual at all.

I quit all the time, but it's always due to either time constraints, or physical issues that won't let me continue the round. I would never walk off because of poor play.

I quit all the time, but it's always due to either time constraints, or physical issues that won't let me continue the round. I would never walk off because of poor play.

I'll claim the same.....though confess that playing really poorly makes it a little easier to surrender to those physical conditions......in fact, I pretty much always have an injury available to bail me out.....

That, and a couple of courses that I was sampling, that were so bad that I couldn't bring myself to finish them.

Injury and time issues only.
It's frisbees man. I see no reason to take it so seriously that you can't still find some enjoyment while you're on the course.

I've never quit a round early, though my play this year has been so bad a couple of times I have been tempted to because it was getting to the point where it was no longer fun stinking up the course so badly. Usually if my game is really off (can't drive or start to hit every tree on the course and can't hit a 20 foot putt to save my life) then I just try to enjoy the company of whoever I am tossing with and being outdoors and the nice weather.

I know I quit at Shady Oaks regularly. The first time I went there I was unaware it was a swamp and didn't know not to be there at dusk. When the mosquitoes swarmed, I ran. Later on I didn't realize it was a retention area and I was there while it was raining. When the water started to rise up over my ankles, I ran.

Truth be told I skipped #16 and #17 there a lot. I picked up disc golf in St. Louis and played some solid courses. When I moved to Chicago, everyone said Shady Oaks was the best course in my area. It was flat. It was wide open. It was boring. I'd get done with the "long for the sake of being long" shot on #15 and just be homesick for a decent disc golf course. To get out of the place from there you can follow the course to the left and play #16/#17 back and forth to get back to where you are and then #18 out of the park, or just play #18 and leave. I'd look at those flat, boring #16/#17 holes, walk over to #18's tee and leave. I probably played #16/#17 less than 1/2 the times I was there.

Once or twice.

I remember leaving once when I was sick as a dog. It felt like the start of the flu. It didn't help that the course sucked and I was playing terrible.

One of the groups I golf with is extremely harsh and unforgiving about DNFs. It sorta forced me to learn how to power through, which has been helpful in the long run.

I've left when the course is insanely crowded but that seems different.

I just started playing a few months ago, but have numerous records Javelin and discus throwing, played QB and pitcher. I had my friends quit on me mid game after I got first ace and birdied three out of four holes after that. Kinda ruined first ace having friends get so bummed out by it, but they have been playing every day for years and still haven't hit that first ace yet, so I get it. I have 75 to 100' distance on anyone I've seen throw so far and it bums out the guys that have put in the work for years. Literally got one half inch from a fist fight over it. Anyway going to try to get in some real tournaments soon, and I'm sure it's a big bag of humble pie coming up:). I better learn how to putt soon. Hard work>talent.

Not in a tournament, no.

But one time at a White Oak(hilly course) when it was 100+ degrees I got a heat stroke and passed out on number 11(walking up a very steep hill).

Came to and stumbled to the car, and I'll never forget my water bottle again.

I've quit on courses before due to really really poor hole design. One of the worst has to be #17 at the UAH course in Huntsville. What a garbage hole and colossal safety hazard. They honestly expect me to hit a 20' fairway that doglegs sharp to the right with a pond in front and a really busy road behind it? If it weren't for the roadway then I'd play it but even a noodle arm like me is going to do damage with a disc if I hit a car...

it happens. i think a good point about competitors and golf etiquette make sense. but if you are going to blow up better do it in the woods away from group.