• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Everything about the TL!

Thanks for the backstory.

Nobody cares.

Apparently Discraft cared enough at one point in time.

There are discs stamped Eagle-L on the market -- the current G* discs are labeled as such, though I don't know anyone who actually throws them. Curious to see if this ever resurfaces at a competition.

Thanks for the backstory.

Apparently Discraft cared enough at one point in time.

There are discs stamped Eagle-L on the market -- the current G* discs are labeled as such, though I don't know anyone who actually throws them. Curious to see if this ever resurfaces at a competition.
The G* Eagle-L is an Eagle so far as the PDGA is concerned. There isn't an issue there. If they were labeled "EL" and didn't say "Eagle" on them, that would be over the line in the sand.

Since it's a specialty run and not a big seller, I doubt anyone is interested in pushing the issue of if adding "-L" to the name constitutes a name change. If it was a regular production disc, maybe. At the time that Discraft called Innova on it, the Pro Starfire was a pretty widely used driver and telling players they couldn't use it caught a lot of people in the cross-hairs. If you announced the Eagle L was illegal at a tournament today, people would shrug and wonder what you were talking about.

To back up 3P's "nobody cares" comment...does anyone scale your discs or question if they're over weight?

To back up 3P's "nobody cares" comment...does anyone scale your discs or question if they're over weight?

I keep all my drivers 162 grams or less to ensure compliance with weight limits. ;)

On topic, still digging my 157ish Star TL, which has seen a lot more use since the Plasma Insanity has been out of the bag. I can pretty much replicate Insanity lines by flexing the TL or hyzer-flipping the Roadrunner.

I keep all my drivers 162 grams or less to ensure compliance with weight limits. ;)

On topic, still digging my 157ish Star TL, which has seen a lot more use since the Plasma Insanity has been out of the bag. I can pretty much replicate Insanity lines by flexing the TL or hyzer-flipping the Roadrunner.
I hesitate to say anything about the TL since I have a sample size of one 165g Star TL. It's so meh. I get longer throws out of a 167g QJLS and a 166g ESP Cyclone that take up the throws I would use the TL for. I keep carrying the TL around thinking it has to be a good disc for me, but it's just meh. Both the JLS and Cyclone will flip up a little and then glide out with a predictable fade. The TL seems to be too HSS for me maybe? It doesn't flip up really, just kind goes straight and looks for the ground. :\ I'm just not clicking with the thing at all.

I hesitate to say anything about the TL since I have a sample size of one 165g Star TL. It's so meh. I get longer throws out of a 167g QJLS and a 166g ESP Cyclone that take up the throws I would use the TL for. I keep carrying the TL around thinking it has to be a good disc for me, but it's just meh. Both the JLS and Cyclone will flip up a little and then glide out with a predictable fade. The TL seems to be too HSS for me maybe? It doesn't flip up really, just kind goes straight and looks for the ground. :\ I'm just not clicking with the thing at all.

Sounds like you might have a lemon of a TL, 3P. :\

I have thrown Star TLs off and on for years, usually fairly light (157-165), and they are the closest durable plastic replacement I have found for a seasoned DX Teebird. For me Star TLs are glidey, nearly stable, and workable with a mellow but reliable fade. When I wasn't throwing Star TLs I threw domey S-FDs around 165 grams, which fly similarly but a little straighter (also nearly stable, small turn, small fade).

JLS is a nice disc, reminded me of a shorter Valkyrie. I learned to throw sidearm with a Cyclone so it has a place in my heart, but Cyclone is pretty short for a fairway driver. Replaced Cyclone with an ESP XL, which flew much better for me.

You might want to try a different Star TL to see if you get the same results. Or just keep carrying the one you have for exercise. Or, marketplace! ;)

I learned to throw sidearm with a Cyclone so it has a place in my heart, but Cyclone is pretty short for a fairway driver. Replaced Cyclone with an ESP XL, which flew much better for me.
Cyclones are pretty plastic-dependent. Z Cyclones were short and beefy, X Cyclones flew more like a Cyclone should but were oddly short for me. Old Tourney Pro Cyclones did what I can only call a "forward fade" where they still pushed forward when fading and were pretty long. ESP's don't do that as well as the old ones, but I get plenty of distance out of them. I throw ESP Cyclones farther than that TL, anyway.

Which is why I'm not is a huge rush to spend money on another TL. I have discs I'm happy with for that slot. I was just surprised at how much I didn't like the TL.

I do really well throwing my TL3s on a FH but they're a bit much for me on a BH. At least trying to get a long BH hyzer out of them. Would a regular TL with some dome be easier to BH? Meaning a little less stable?

How different are halo TL3s and regular TeeBirds in premium plastic, besides the price?

How different are halo TL3s and regular TeeBirds in premium plastic, besides the price?

There's just a lot of disc-to-disc variation, even in a 1.7cm rim.

I took a few hours to do an exhaustive PLH inventory of my ~40 Teebirds the other day. A couple of my TL/TL3s actually had the highest PLH.

I'm not *****ing about Innova. They just make a lot of discs and cycle through a lot of plastic blends.

Perhaps with a more helpful answer: for me, unless one has an extreme PLH, or they are >10g different, then most premium birds fly pretty similar out to ~325'. If you throw faster/farther then you'll likely notice more difference.

I've generally shifted away from the flat wing TLs. If I want a straighter flight I go down to lighter GStar birds.